Thread: Driving Through Oregon Carry

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Driving Through Oregon Carry

I have WA CPL and am driving to Utah through OR and ID.

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there, but a little confused about driving through OR.

I'm driving on 97/26 so not going through any "loaded banned cities" and it is an OC state but I am in a car and I do not have OR CPL.
    Do I need to OC through OR or stop at state line and put it in a lockbox?

Thanks.

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate, they are right next to each other, must suck if you live in the Vancouver, WA/Portland OR area...

Well,,,

Study handgunlawus.com

you may not carry a loaded hand gun in your car,,, Unless...
    the gun is Not concealled...
    A hand gun in a belt holster is Not concidered to be,,, concealled.

ETA; Yes, You do need to OC through Oregon! Thats what you want to do anyway! Isnt it?
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 06-05-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

For loaded carry, the firearm must be visible both in a car or on foot. -- Check Oregon's definition of concealed in regards to glove compartments and consoles. I think both are considered concealed - Avoid public buildings and you'll be fine -- IANAL
    Last edited by acmariner99; 06-05-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorthebusdriver View Post

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there, but a little confused about driving through OR.

I'm driving on 97/26 so not going through any "loaded banned cities" and it is an OC state but I am in a car and I do not have OR CPL.

Thanks.

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate, they are right next to each other, must suck if you live in the Vancouver, WA/Portland OR area...
    Bend is a banned (non-preemptive) city along 97/26. Other than that you will be fine.

The inside of your vehicle has been determined to be a 'public space' by the Oregon courts.

I would just OC in my vehicle and not speed or stop in Bend.
    Live Free or Die!

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there...

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate...
    I wish WA would reciprocate with ID : "reciprocate" = To mutually give and take something; to interchange.

"...unlawful for one to conceal a pistol without a (WA) concealed pistol license (hereinafter called CPL), and also makes it unlawful for one to carry a loaded pistol in any vehicle, whether it be openly carried or concealed carried unless a person has a valid (WA) CPL..."

I wish you a safe journey while in the magnanimous state of Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Study handgunlawus.com
    "can't find the server at www.handgunlawus.com"

Try http://handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by rapgood; 06-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

Thanks.

Read ORS 166.250 Prohibitions,,,pay particular attention to (2) and (3) a handgun on your hip is not concealed. Yes, OC in OR if you do not have a OR CHL.

Read ORS 166.173 Pay particular attention to (2)(c)...and note...when OR wants to reference the OR CHL only, there will be specific reference to ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292 Follow the link at ORS 166.173(2)(d)..and, BTW...pay particular attention to the differences between ORS 166.173(2)(c) and (2)(d). Follow the link on (2)(d) and read it all...BTW: Yes, this only applies to OC.