• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Driving Through Oregon Carry

trevorthebusdriver

I have WA CPL and am driving to Utah through OR and ID.

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there, but a little confused about driving through OR.

I'm driving on 97/26 so not going through any "loaded banned cities" and it is an OC state but I am in a car and I do not have OR CPL.
Do I need to OC through OR or stop at state line and put it in a lockbox?

Thanks.

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate, they are right next to each other, must suck if you live in the Vancouver, WA/Portland OR area...

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Study handgunlawus.com

you may not carry a loaded hand gun in your car,,, Unless...
the gun is Not concealled...
A hand gun in a belt holster is Not concidered to be,,, concealled.

ETA; Yes, You do need to OC through Oregon! Thats what you want to do anyway! Isnt it?

Last edited:

acmariner99

For loaded carry, the firearm must be visible both in a car or on foot. -- Check Oregon's definition of concealed in regards to glove compartments and consoles. I think both are considered concealed - Avoid public buildings and you'll be fine -- IANAL

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there, but a little confused about driving through OR.

I'm driving on 97/26 so not going through any "loaded banned cities" and it is an OC state but I am in a car and I do not have OR CPL.

Thanks.

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate, they are right next to each other, must suck if you live in the Vancouver, WA/Portland OR area...

Bend is a banned (non-preemptive) city along 97/26. Other than that you will be fine.

The inside of your vehicle has been determined to be a 'public space' by the Oregon courts.

I would just OC in my vehicle and not speed or stop in Bend.

oldbanger

ID and UT reciprocate so no problem there...

PS I wish WA and OR would reciprocate...

I wish WA would reciprocate with ID : "reciprocate" = To mutually give and take something; to interchange.

"...unlawful for one to conceal a pistol without a (WA) concealed pistol license (hereinafter called CPL), and also makes it unlawful for one to carry a loaded pistol in any vehicle, whether it be openly carried or concealed carried unless a person has a valid (WA) CPL..."

I wish you a safe journey while in the magnanimous state of Idaho.

hermannr

Thanks.

Read ORS 166.250 Prohibitions,,,pay particular attention to (2) and (3) a handgun on your hip is not concealed. Yes, OC in OR if you do not have a OR CHL.

Read ORS 166.173 Pay particular attention to (2)(c)...and note...when OR wants to reference the OR CHL only, there will be specific reference to ORS 166.291 and ORS 166.292 Follow the link at ORS 166.173(2)(d)..and, BTW...pay particular attention to the differences between ORS 166.173(2)(c) and (2)(d). Follow the link on (2)(d) and read it all...BTW: Yes, this only applies to OC.