• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Close call!! - Road Rage against OCDO member

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... My gun was unchambered and was simply laying there. ....

:banghead: Carrying a paperweight! :banghead:

Which is also why some of us prefer to use holsters, so the thing does not slide around.

Being tailgated is always a hard call. Va has laws against "aggressive driving" and both tailgating and slamming on the brakes/[strike]coasting[/strike][SUP]1[/SUP] are considered violations. My source tells me that § 46.2-818 is the law you violate by taking your foot off te accelerator and allowing your vehicle to "coast" to a near/dead stop.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-868.1

§ 46.2-868.1. Aggressive driving; penalties.
A. A person is guilty of aggressive driving if (i) the person violates one or more of the following: § 46.2-802 (Drive on right side of highways), § 46.2-804 (Failure to observe lanes marked for traffic), § 46.2-816 (Following too closely), § 46.2-821 (Vehicles before entering certain highways shall stop or yield right-of-way), § 46.2-833.1 (Evasion of traffic control devices), § 46.2-838 (Passing when overtaking a vehicle), § 46.2-841 (When overtaking vehicle may pass on right), § 46.2-842 (Driver to give way to overtaking vehicle), § 46.2-842.1 (Driver to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highway), § 46.2-843 (Limitations on overtaking and passing), any provision of Article 8 (§ 46.2-870 et seq.) of Chapter 8 of Title 46.2 (Speed), or § 46.2-888 (Stopping on highways); and (ii) that person is a hazard to another person or commits an offense in clause (i) with the intent to harass, intimidate, injure or obstruct another person.
B. Aggressive driving shall be punished as a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, aggressive driving with the intent to injure another person shall be punished as a Class 1 misdemeanor. In addition to the penalties described in this subsection, the court may require successful completion of an aggressive driving program.
http://www.dmvnow.com/webdoc/safety/programs/aggressive/index.asp - DMV says just give the aggressive driver what he wants and hope they don't kill you.

stay safe.

[SUP]1[/SUP] Oops! Per the following it's only illegal to coast with the gears in neutral.
§ 46.2-811. Coasting prohibited. The driver of any motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade on any highway shall not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

It obviously wasn't a divided highway, by the original description.
As the adhockery continues, we learn that it was a narrow two-lane with an exceptional 40 mph maximum speed limit. It may be that the gentleman was driving conservatively at half the posted speed limit. But the subsequent tailgating suggests retaliation - for something.

What is the significance in Virginia of a speed limit that is a multiple of ten rather than the more common multiple of five miles per hour?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
ageed.

Once I passed and the guy was on my bumper.. I would have called it in.. explained the situation on THEIR recorded call as well as my audio recorder that would have already been on to record the acceleration of the pass, the honk, the guy yelling, etc.

Called it in...:rolleyes: ED???????

Sawah.....Where do you get these IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS you keep giving?

1260174378.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well.. I was responding with what I WOULD have done. An I live in a cell saturated area. I would not have had my firearm unholstered.

What are you gonna tell them?

Hello Cops, there's a mean person driving real slow and I honked my horn at him and now he's real mad. I've got a plastic gun but don't want to slap Kydex with him so could you send a cop over in the next 3 seconds or so and keep me safe.:lol:

TESS. Now you know why I said we should give it to Mary land at the picnic:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
peter nap;1766482[I said:
]--snip--[/I]
TESS. Now you know why I said we should give it to Mary land at the picnic:lol:

Didn't someone even suggest paying Mar'land to take it. :p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

The amount we offered for them to take it was agreed to, but they insisted on baksheesh that was just a bit too much, considereing the value of the item. Besides, why encourage elected thievery?

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Let's start a fund:banana:

BTW, I also qualified my give it away remark by saying "They really aren't a part of Virginia anyway. They just claim to be to **** me off":lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Let's start a fund:banana:

BTW, I also qualified my give it away remark by saying "They really aren't a part of Virginia anyway. They just claim to be to **** me off":lol:

Then there are those that want West (by Gd) Virginia back - similar bent and heritage.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Then there are those that want West (by Gd) Virginia back - similar bent and heritage.

That is an interesting story most people don't know. During the war of Northern Aggression when the South Seceded from the Union, Illegally according to the North, West Virginia who felt they were unfairly treated by Virginia, Illegally Seceded from Virginia....which the North conveniently justified.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is an interesting story most people don't know. During the war of Northern Aggression when the South Seceded from the Union, Illegally according to the North, West Virginia who felt they were unfairly treated by Virginia, Illegally Seceded from Virginia....which the North conveniently justified.

Yep - Mr. Henry's Virginia was decidedly bigger and bolder. Hanover was eastern VA. and Mount Vernon was located in the center of the state.

love4guns

Probably similar to what you said.. I would explain what happened and what the situation was... and created a record of the incident.

This is partly whats wrong with people these days in my opinion. Why bring the cops into it? I know you think the recorder will save you everytime but it "could" be used against you as well. In the Zimmerman case you cleary hear someone scream on the 911 tape. Personally I think it was Zimmerman screaming but look at how a gungho lawyer and the media was able to use that 911 recording against him. The job of law enforcement is not to discover who is innocent but to arrest whomever they deem guilty. I respect all you do for OC in our state but your wrong on this one........save the call to the police for when its needed.

*sidenote* Zimmerman also got painted as a rouge crimefighter gone bad due to the fact he called 911 some many times.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is partly whats wrong with people these days in my opinion. Why bring the cops into it? I know you think the recorder will save you everytime but it "could" be used against you as well. In the Zimmerman case you cleary hear someone scream on the 911 tape. Personally I think it was Zimmerman screaming but look at how a gungho lawyer and the media was able to use that 911 recording against him. The job of law enforcement is not to discover who is innocent but to arrest whomever they deem guilty. I respect all you do for OC in our state but your wrong on this one........save the call to the police for when its needed.

*sidenote* Zimmerman also got painted as a rouge crimefighter gone bad due to the fact he called 911 some many times.

Ed is hardly wrong on this. Zimmerman is a media fiasco and doesn't fit into this really.

Frequently the one calling first is treated as the good guy. Recording is good CYA - recommended personal record. To do otherwise is to leave it to chance and he said/she said. My recorder runs from the time I leave home until I return. Has it ever helped me? Decidedly "Yes." The female Sgt. involved from a local LEA no longer is employed there.

Last edited:

love4guns

Ed is hardly wrong on this. Zimmerman is a media fiasco and doesn't fit into this really.

Frequently the one calling first is treated as the good guy. Recording is good CYA - recommended personal record. To do otherwise is to leave it to chance and he said/she said. My recorder runs from the time I leave home until I return. Has it ever helped me? Decidedly "Yes." The female Sgt. involved from a local LEA no longer is employed there.

Where Ed is wrong is not with the recorder (which I had on) but calling the cops over nothing. Zimmerman is a media fiasco but I was giving a tiny ex. of how a recorded self defense event can go wrong for the victim. If I called the police then I would have some explaining to do,reguardless of my innocence. Also just because I called first does not mean they will believe me over another person. Bottomline its risky either way and I chose not to call the police. What possibly could the guy that pulled up behind me say? "Hey dispatch Iam behind a guy the honked at me so I chased me down and ran up on his window and saw he had a gun??? Dont they need proof to be able to convict me for branishing?? Without witnesses I dont see how that would play out in court. If that were the case all anyone would ever have to is say "he pointed at his gun" and any OC-er could be arrested on the spot. Please understand I am all about running a voice recorder but I am very selective when it comes to calling the law. Like I said I see why some of you would contact the law but either way it is a risk...i just took the other risk I guess.

Also I'd like to say not all cars are created equal. Many have said why have a gun laying on the passenger seat?? Have you seen my bucket seats? Also I have this flat rubber plate that I lay on my seat and it retains the gun just fine. I've even tested it a few times to see if a sudden stop would send it flying.......I want access to my firearm when OCing in my car. To each his own

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Many have said why have a gun laying on the passenger seat?? Have you seen my bucket seats? Also I have this flat rubber plate that I lay on my seat and it retains the gun just fine. I've even tested it a few times to see if a sudden stop would send it flying.......I want access to my firearm when OCing in my car. To each his own

I'll guarantee you it'll go flying if your car ever stops faster than the brakes can stop it....

Roscoe

Blk97F150

What possibly could the guy that pulled up behind me say? "Hey dispatch Iam behind a guy the honked at me so I chased me down and ran up on his window and saw he had a gun???

How about this?:
'Hello Police? I'm from out of town and not sure exactly where I'm going... but I'm driving on on Route 1234 ltrying to find my destination and the car behind be was following me extremely closely, almost hitting my rear bumper. I tried to ignore him but he started acting like he was going to pass me on the double yellow line... and began honking his horn at me. I eventually pulled over to let him pass, and he did, but a little ways down the road he pulled partially into a driveway. I was forced to stop my vehicle because his car was still blocking my lane of travel. As I got out of my vehicle to try and find out what was going on, he jumped out with a gun in his hand.....'

So..... if that were his story to the police, what evidence would you have that it didn't happen that way?