• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Close call!! - Road Rage against OCDO member

love4guns

Yesterday I was driving behind a man that was doing 18 MPH in a 40. Needless to say I was a bit annoyed and of course was on my way to a work related appointment. After about 5 miles or so of following this guy I pressed my horn and then he turned off the road. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him rolling up behind me and then he began tailgating me. I drove for less than a mile to reach my stop and then I pulled in a driveway but not all the way because the A-Hole was still on my bumper. Once I got in the driveway before I could even put the car in park I see this bald headed middle aged man pull in behind me and he flew out of his car...(you can see where this is headed huh?) This guy had a cell phone case on his hip but as he ran up to my car I couldnt tell if it was a gun/knife holster or a cell phone case. I stayed in my seat and cracked the window as he ran up on me. As he got closer I saw he had a look on his face like he wanted to kill me. Once he reached my window he said "What the F*ck is your problem!).....Then he noticed Mr. Glock sitting on my lap. I made solid eye contact with him and said "I think you should leave now." Man, I think I saw smoke and spraks coming from his shoes he ran back to his car so fast. I do believe that had I not been OC-ing in my car he would have tried to pull me out of the car or something along those lines. Before you guys start this was not an act of Branishing a firearm due to the fact that i was already OC-ing and I never pointed or even mentioned my firearm.....but the bald headed freak got the message. So who needs a gun in their car????-ME

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Yesterday I was driving behind a man that was doing 18 MPH in a 40. Needless to say I was a bit annoyed and of course was on my way to a work related appointment. After about 5 miles or so of following this guy I pressed my horn and then he turned off the road. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw him rolling up behind me and then he began tailgating me. I drove for less than a mile to reach my stop and then I pulled in a driveway but not all the way because the A-Hole was still on my bumper. Once I got in the driveway before I could even put the car in park I see this bald headed middle aged man pull in behind me and he flew out of his car...(you can see where this is headed huh?) This guy had a cell phone case on his hip but as he ran up to my car I couldnt tell if it was a gun/knife holster or a cell phone case. I stayed in my seat and cracked the window as he ran up on me. As he got closer I saw he had a look on his face like he wanted to kill me. Once he reached my window he said "What the F*ck is your problem!).....Then he noticed Mr. Glock sitting on my lap. I made solid eye contact with him and said "I think you should leave now." Man, I think I saw smoke and spraks coming from his shoes he ran back to his car so fast. I do believe that had I not been OC-ing in my car he would have tried to pull me out of the car or something along those lines. Before you guys start this was not an act of Branishing a firearm due to the fact that i was already OC-ing and I never pointed or even mentioned my firearm.....but the bald headed freak got the message. So who needs a gun in their car????-ME

You did fine and no, it wasn't brandishing.

I had an almost identical situation not too long ago except the idiot threw his truck in reverse and tried to back into me.

I got out though and left my gun on the seat....but that's just me.

mk4

@OP...

just curious, was your sidearm in a holster, or in the glovebox or console, or on the passenger seat or dashboard, before it was in your lap?

also did you call leo and make a report of the guy's tailgating and threatening behavior? he might have called on you.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet there are some who say that case law says that if you took the Glock out of the holster and put it in your lap with the intention that Mr. Motorist would see it there, that you did in fact brandish. Thus, we have attorneys making a living off of folks who cannot agree to play nice together.

At least you did not use a finger to point towards it.:eek:

This is another of the bazillion and three reasons why the brandishing law needs to be cleaned up. And why that law about "aggressive driving" needs to be done away with.

Where, in this perfect world, were the cops to deal with Mr. Motorist and the fact that he was driving 10 0r more miles per hour under the posted speed limit without having his 4-way flashers activated and an approved "slow moving vehicle" banner tied across his back end or one of those slow-moving vehicle triangles prominently displayed on the rear of his hooptie?

Driving too slow without appropriate warning/signage, is just as reckless as driving too fast. But can you get a cop interested?

stay safe.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Virginia Vehicle Code uses the same words as does Wisconsin.

Code of Virginia § 46.2-877. Minimum speed limits. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

Wisconsin Statutes §346.59(1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at a speed so slow as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or is necessary to comply with the law.

The posted maximum speed limit is not the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. The burden is to give way on request, and the overtaking vehicle is burdened to do so safely and legally.

badey

sawah

Why would you stay behind someone driving 18 in a 40 for five miles, then when you were less than a mile from your destination (a driveway?) honk for him to pull over?

MagiK_SacK

Why would you stay behind someone driving 18 in a 40 for five miles, then when you were less than a mile from your destination (a driveway?) honk for him to pull over?

You should read the OP again. You misread what was stated. The OP honked to out of annoyance which clearly upset the other person. When the OP saw that he might have angered the other person he, as far as I understand, pulled into A driveway (as to indicate not the one he was headed to) as to not let the aggressor know where his final destination was.

sawah

You should read the OP again. You misread what was stated. The OP honked to out of annoyance which clearly upset the other person. When the OP saw that he might have angered the other person he, as far as I understand, pulled into A driveway (as to indicate not the one he was headed to) as to not let the aggressor know where his final destination was.

I don't think my question is invalid, though. He was less than a mile from his final destination. After he passed the guy, with less than a mile to go, he stopped in an unrelated driveway, possibly, to mislead the tailgater. BUT this resulted in him being pinned. If it wasn't his final destination, why did he put the car in park, further pinning himself in. This all makes no sense to me.

Also, who is patient for 5 miles before honking to indicate they were annoyed or wanted to pass? At 18 miles per hour that's more than 15 minutes driving at a snail's pace. I don't think we're getting the whole story.

twoskinsonemanns

I think a lot of these kind of "incidents" leave out the first part about "this guys was going the speed limit and a tailgated him within 10 inches of his bumper because I was pissed and couldn't find a place to pass. Then the jerk began slowing down more and more).
:D

I don't claim this is what the OP did just what seems to happen to me once in a while.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
there are some who say that case law says that if you took the Glock out of the holster and put it in your lap with the intention that Mr. Motorist would see it there, that you did in fact brandish.
ageed.

Once I passed and the guy was on my bumper.. I would have called it in.. explained the situation on THEIR recorded call as well as my audio recorder that would have already been on to record the acceleration of the pass, the honk, the guy yelling, etc.

ryan7068

Notify????

Is honking referred to in VA code as the proper meant to notify????? I've never been clear on this. Is there a cite?

sawah

ageed.

Once I passed and the guy was on my bumper.. I would have called it in.. explained the situation on THEIR recorded call as well as my audio recorder that would have already been on to record the acceleration of the pass, the honk, the guy yelling, etc.

Exactly. You should -never- underestimate a road rage situation, never exacerbate it, always pull off and let it pass, because they can get very, very bad, very quickly. What if the OP had mis-read a gesture on the part of the bald dude and shot him then found out he had no weapon?

You should not let yourself get into a 'killbox' situation like this (pinned in a driveway). Your car is your method of escape and evasion and if you pull in and put on the parking brake and have not called 911 you are in an untenable situation with no witnesses, no backup, no where to go and rapidly vanishing options.

I'll go so far as to say that IF the OP had not possessed a firearm he -might- have behaved more sensibly.

Last edited:

DJEEPER

Notify????

Is honking referred to in VA code as the proper meant to notify????? I've never been clear on this. Is there a cite?

I can not find anything on the books besides it stating that your vehicle must have a horn audible at 200ft.

mpg9999

I can not find anything on the books besides it stating that your vehicle must have a horn audible at 200ft.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-842.1

§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

"Keep Right" laws by state: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

ryan7068

I think there should be a flagging process associated with a license plate number. You can be voted aggressive -1 or too slow +1 and it could be a net 0 sum system. When you reach either a +10 or -10 you are limited to certain hours you are allowed to be on the road :lol: for a period of time and then the count drops to 5.

KBCraig

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-842.1

§ 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

"Keep Right" laws by state: http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

It obviously wasn't a divided highway, by the original description.

love4guns

Exactly. You should -never- underestimate a road rage situation, never exacerbate it, always pull off and let it pass, because they can get very, very bad, very quickly. What if the OP had mis-read a gesture on the part of the bald dude and shot him then found out he had no weapon?

You should not let yourself get into a 'killbox' situation like this (pinned in a driveway). Your car is your method of escape and evasion and if you pull in and put on the parking brake and have not called 911 you are in an untenable situation with no witnesses, no backup, no where to go and rapidly vanishing options.

I'll go so far as to say that IF the OP had not possessed a firearm he -might- have behaved more sensibly.
I hope you are not as big of a dumbass as your post reflects.....Your assumptions are wrong!! I was on a small country road with NO WHERE to pull over which is why i pulled in that driveway (which was my cousins house) he was inside and would have been a witness for me if need be. Had I not had a gun I would have done the same damn thing. You sounds like a liberal..are you?? Just because I had a gun does not mean i thought I was Rambo and would have shot the guy. My gun was unchambered and was simply laying there. Also once again I was in the virginia woods ( what we call the country) with limted to no cell signal. What should I have done screamed 911 out of my window?? Cause that is the only way I could have called the cops. Also sawah, stop depending on the police to always be there for you. I had my recorder on and again was in a county that may have a total of 7 deputies on the entire force. I dont mean to treat you like a jerk but this statement here-
I'll go so far as to say that IF the OP had not possessed a firearm he -might- have behaved more sensibly.-

Is a stupid comment

love4guns

ageed.

Ed,
You NOVA guys are so so funny sometimes. Down here where I live you cant always depend on a cell signal. So what would you do if you had no cell signal???? I had none

love4guns

I was on a single lane where there was NO way to pass him. I chose that driveway because my cousin was inside and would have been a witness for me....anymore strange questions?