• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Attention all Ham Radio Ops

The Big Guy

I have cut this from another state thread. If you are a Ham you should be intested in this. I will be turning in my long time membership to the ARRL.

TBG
N6ZUC

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

Last edited:

Rollbar

WoW, I guess they don't want my help either then. Oh well, I'll still carry.

Thanks for the post.

73's
Jim
KF7JKO

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I just emailed the ARRL:

TBG

I have recently found the following.

Greetings, Don. Let me be very, very clear about this. We are not going to talk about choice here, or "rights" or anything else on this issue. There is no place within ARES for weapons of any type. No one in connection with ARES is to carry a weapon on their person at any time they are participating in any ARES activity whatsoever. We are not going to discuss this or negotiate this with anyone at any time. If this is a problem for anyone, then as Dan says they are welcome to withdraw from the ARES program. We do not want anyone participating in ARES while possessing a weapon outside their home or vehicle and if we hear about it the person will be thanked for their services and terminated. This is an ARRL program and weapons are no part of it whatsoever. We can't have any liability on this issue. Please tell your field appointees this.

73, Chris W3KD

As this is the hard and fast policy of the ARRL, and as a patriot, I can’t abide by this decision. Therefore I will not be renewing my membership in the ARRL.

Merlin

Wow, what a shame. As a recent HAM licensee, I was looking forward to participating in ARES. This really infuriates me.

Why is it so hard for these people to understand that if they are concerned about liability, the best policy is NO policy. My comparison to Blue Pants still stands.

I hate it when my hobbies are at odds with one another. And in this case, for them to be at odds with one another is just plain crazy. Many recent HAMs, myself included, are interested in HAM for preparedness reasons. This naturally dovetails with firearms possession. Duh.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

varminter22

That ARRL statement infuriates me. And I just wrote to express my displeasure and to tell them they should withdraw my name if they indeed refuse to reconsider and discuss.

The Big Guy

That ARRL statement infuriates me. And I just wrote to express my displeasure and to tell them they should withdraw my name if they indeed refuse to reconsider and discuss.

Thanks Larry. I hope all hams who believe in liberty write the ARRL and let them know of their displeasure. Let's surprise them with how many Amateur Radio Operators also own and carry firearms.
Contact them at hq@arrl.org and be sure to give them your membership number or if not a member your FCC Call sign.

TBG

Rollbar

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
There's plenty of time to set up Field Day sites which will be staffed by OCers, and call the media to announce it. It's unusual enough that you might get some coverage, promoting both ham radio and OC.

Down in the Sharp End, put it in a park in the middle of town.

Up in the north, put it on the lawn at the Capitol!

You can even mention on the air that you're operating while armed, and offer an email QSL.

If you do get media coverage, remember to forward copies to the ARRL! XD

Rollbar

You can even mention on the air that you're operating while armed, and offer an email QSL.

If you do get media coverage, remember to forward copies to the ARRL! XD

Very good point. :idea:

KNØCW

I have cut this from another state thread. If you are a Ham you should be intested in this. I will be turning in my long time membership to the ARRL.

TBG
N6ZUC

Wisconsin ARES management does not have any authority to formulate a policy of carrying weapons while supporting ARES. ARES is a registered program of ARRL and, as the parent organization of ARES, it is the ARRL who has declared that weapons have no place in ARES – not only in Wisconsin but nationally. I have been in communication with ARRL HQ several times on this issue presenting the what-ifs and the answer is always the same – no weapons allowed. Period.

From Chris Imlay, ARRL General Counsel:

73, Chris W3KD

This policy has the support of all the top management within ARRL, Central Division leaders, Wisconsin Section Manager, and Wisconsin ARES senior leadership. In addition, there has been consultation with Wisconsin Emergency Management.

Wisconsin ARES will adhere to this ARRL policy and we will discuss, at the April 28 Leadership conference, the impact it has on Wisconsin ARES and the adjustments that need to be made within Wisconsin ARES to continue as one of the best ARES organizations in the country.

May I copy this and send it to some of our local clubs?

Rollbar

May I copy this and send it to some of our local clubs?

Start our own group, tell'em we pack and do S&R.

I went through all the FEMA qualifications, might need a quick refresher though :shocker:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
Start our own group, tell'em we pack and do S&R.

I went through all the FEMA qualifications, might need a quick refresher though :shocker:

I've been doing disaster communications since before FEMA existed. I have never been a member of either ARES or RACES. I also refuse to let the Red Cross do their credit check, etc.

All the same, I have never had anyone turn down my services when I have rolled into an event.