• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pulled Over By State Trooper

MainelyGlock

Yesterday I was pulled over by a State Trooper for doing "81" in a 55. I don't want to say a whole lot because this will be going to court eventually, but just know that it was done for personal safety reasons and not recklessness. Anyways, prior to this I had done a lot of reading about what you should/should not to when getting pulled over, especially if you're carrying. This is my first time getting stopped for anything, and I wanted to express my thanks to everyone who shared their stories with LEO's. I was nervous as hell, but felt very prepared should any problems have stemmed from my stop.

Thanks to this website, after seeing the blues light up behind me, I immediately turned off my music and opened up the voice recorder app on my iPhone. I believe I got the entire conversation, which is always nice just in case. I'm glad to report that the trooper was very polite, and only once glanced at my loaded Glock. Never even asked for my CCP (which I gave anyways along with my license). Turns out my proof of insurance with USAA expires MONTHLY (grrr), but he was very good at explaining my options to me and informing me of how to get the fee waived for not having insurance.

Currently, I'm doing a substantial amount of research and will be filing a MFOAA request for his dash-cam footage. I plan on representing myself, partly because I cannot afford a lawyer (and would likely spend more on one than the ticket itself) but also because I feel this will be a good learning opportunity, no matter how it turns out.

So, thanks again!

sawah

If you were doing almost 30mph over the speed limit (and they will typically write you as less if you are polite), then to me that is reckless driving. I think anyone who does this shows a reckless disregard for the safety of other drivers, and should not be allowed to drive and should have their license suspended for at least a year on first offense.

What you think there is to 'fight' in court, I don't know. You are lucky you weren't arrested on the spot and your car impounded.

In most states, Reckless Driving is defined as driving at a speed 20 mph over the speed limit, or in excess of 80 mph. The penalty for reckless driving is usually up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines.

MainelyGlock

If you were doing almost 30mph over the speed limit (and they will typically write you as less if you are polite), then to me that is reckless driving. I think anyone who does this shows a reckless disregard for the safety of other drivers, and should not be allowed to drive and should have their license suspended for at least a year on first offense.

What you think there is to 'fight' in court, I don't know. You are lucky you weren't arrested on the spot and your car impounded.

In most states, Reckless Driving is defined as driving at a speed 20 mph over the speed limit, or in excess of 80 mph. The penalty for reckless driving is usually up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please re-read the part where I mentioned that I did it because of concern for my personal safety. There are laws in Maine that justify it so long as I can prove my story.

I do agree that I am lucky with how the trooper handled it, and that I escaped with only a fine.

tjkruck

You are entitled to your opinion, but please re-read the part where I mentioned that I did it because of concern for my personal safety. There are laws in Maine that justify it so long as I can prove my story.

I do agree that I am lucky with how the trooper handled it, and that I escaped with only a fine.

I was pulled over the other day for no seatbelt (I did have it on) it was a Minnesota state trooper. I handed him my license and carry permit. He asked "do you have a gun right now" I responded "yes sir, on my right hip" he asked "why do you carry a gun" I responded " personal protection" he responded "in 17 years I have never had to use my gun for anything". He handed me my permit walked back to his suv ran my license came back gave me my license back and asked me to put the seatbelt thru the catch so other officers can see that I am in fact wearing my seat belt, I think troopers are trained in handling LEGALLY armed citizens....

sawah

I don't buy your story. Note how you said you were playing music which you turned off. A person who is fleeing a bad road situation doesn't do it with music playing I think.

The point is it's not just my opinion. Reckless driving is defined in the law. Whatever situation you had that caused you to drive recklessly could have been remedied in another way. You pull over and call 911 for assistance, you get off the highway for a while and let whatever scared you pass. The danger is not just to you, it's to those around you, since your kinetic energy is exponentially increased at that speed (velocity is squared). Anyone who feels it is rational to drive almost 30mph over the speed limit is too immature and foolish to be carrying a firearm. Don't do it.

Please provide a cite in Maine law that allows one to do this for 'personal safety', please.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

I was pulled over the other day for no seatbelt (I did have it on) it was a Minnesota state trooper. I handed him my license and carry permit. He asked "do you have a gun right now" I responded "yes sir, on my right hip" he asked "why do you carry a gun" I responded " personal protection" he responded "in 17 years I have never had to use my gun for anything". He handed me my permit walked back to his suv ran my license came back gave me my license back and asked me to put the seatbelt thru the catch so other officers can see that I am in fact wearing my seat belt, I think troopers are trained in handling LEGALLY armed citizens....

I'm glad to hear that you had a good encounter, as far as dealing with firearms go. This trooper just seemed to not care that I was carrying at all.

I don't buy your story. Note how you said you were playing music which you turned off. A person who is fleeing a bad road situation doesn't do it with music playing I think.

This makes ZERO sense. I listen to music wherever I walk, and whenever I drive. Because of this you think I took the time to concoct a story, and post it on here? Good job Nancy Drew, you've discovered my plot! I obviously have so much to gain from doing so.

MainelyGlock

The point is it's not just my opinion. Reckless driving is defined in the law. Whatever situation you had that caused you to drive recklessly could have been remedied in another way. You pull over and call 911 for assistance, you get off the highway for a while and let whatever scared you pass. The danger is not just to you, it's to those around you, since your kinetic energy is exponentially increased at that speed (velocity is squared). Anyone who feels it is rational to drive almost 30mph over the speed limit is too immature and foolish to be carrying a firearm. Don't do it.

You are partially correct. I could have taken another course of action, but in the moment, I chose to use evasive maneuvering. It was the quickest course of action available, and I chose it instead of getting killed/seriously injured. Was I wrong in doing so to protect myself? I'll leave that to the judge to decide, but I do sincerely appreciate your posts and opinions. Even if you think I am immature and should be illegally unarmed for attempting to remedy a potentially fatal situation.

sawah

This makes ZERO sense. I listen to music wherever I walk, and whenever I drive. Because of this you think I took the time to concoct a story, and post it on here? Good job Nancy Drew, you've discovered my plot! I obviously have so much to gain from doing so.

It makes a lot of sense. One doesn't fear for their personal safety while partying with loud music playing. Your 'story' might be true in your mind, but it's not credible that you were in fear of your safety. The solution is to get off the road, not be a hazard to all those drivers around you. It's an immature and foolish decision. Calling me names doesn't remedy poor decision-making on your part.

In the future find other alternatives to your personal safety issues and perhaps let someone else drive.

MainelyGlock

It makes a lot of sense. One doesn't fear for their personal safety while partying with loud music playing. Your 'story' might be true in your mind, but it's not credible that you were in fear of your safety. The solution is to get off the road, not be a hazard to all those drivers around you. It's an immature and foolish decision. Calling me names doesn't remedy poor decision-making on your part.

In the future find other alternatives to your personal safety issues and perhaps let someone else drive.

So now you are assuming my music was loud, and that I was "partying" in my car? Show me where I said this, or are you just making up the facts now?

In the future, perhaps try to withhold your incredibly narrow-minded judgement until you know all of the facts.

MainelyGlock

If any mods see this, please close this thread. I started it to thank the members of this community who have shared their experiences and stories, but for some reason it's turned into an argument that I have no desire to continue. Thanks again!

badey

So you think if someone is in a life threatening situation, and they were listening to music before it happened, that they should waste time to turn the music off while trying to react to that situation??

In a self-defense situation, here is how that would play out:

BG - "Gimme your money or you're dead"

You - "Excuse me, let me turn my radio off and waste precious time before I draw my handgun and defend myself" (reaches down to turn radio off)

BG - (bang bang) "What was that fool talkin about, turnin his radio off? Oh well, I got the wallet anyway"

You may not buy the OP's story, but your logic is sketchy at best....