• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moleskin on Mossberg

MainelyGlock

Hi all,

I recently acquired a Mossberg 500ATP. The wood furniture it came with is BEAUTIFUL and flawless, but I wanted to try a more tactical setup. I've heard of some military marksmen wrapping their stocks in moleskin because it absorbs sweat, so I put some on mine. I was also looking for any type of rubber grip to cover both my fore grip and pistol grip to make it more comfortable, but couldn't find any such product (think hogue or pachmayr) so I wrapped both in moleskin as well. It's super comfy, at least after the box of shells I fired, but looks ugly to me. Thoughts? Opinions?

On another note, I think this setup is a little much for me. While it does look tacti-cool, I will not be breaching any doors anytime soon. Back to the stock setup I go! (maybe)

2f0dn5w.jpg

29lcwed.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Dood,

If your palms are sweaty then you have problems that moleskin is not going to solve. While I see that you are putting it on plastic, as opposed to metal, all you are going to do is have a space where sweat and all the funk on your hands will stay moist for a while. That gives the funk time to multiply. Fuzzy funk may or may not work as camoflage but I would not want to be the one to test it out.

If you are looking for "grippiness" think either skater's tape, stair tread tape, or the old-fashioned tacky cloth elictrical tape (do they even make that stuff any more?).

Just for fun, where did you hear/read that .mil folks wrap their firearm in moleskin to absorb sweat? I'm not going to come right out and say that Seel Team 0.08 was the source, but I have my thoughts on that. Most .mil that worry about sweat are concerned with keeping a grip as opposed to absorbing the sweat.

stay safe.

MainelyGlock

Dood,

If your palms are sweaty then you have problems that moleskin is not going to solve. While I see that you are putting it on plastic, as opposed to metal, all you are going to do is have a space where sweat and all the funk on your hands will stay moist for a while. That gives the funk time to multiply. Fuzzy funk may or may not work as camoflage but I would not want to be the one to test it out.

If you are looking for "grippiness" think either skater's tape, stair tread tape, or the old-fashioned tacky cloth elictrical tape (do they even make that stuff any more?).

Just for fun, where did you hear/read that .mil folks wrap their firearm in moleskin to absorb sweat? I'm not going to come right out and say that Seel Team 0.08 was the source, but I have my thoughts on that. Most .mil that worry about sweat are concerned with keeping a grip as opposed to absorbing the sweat.

stay safe.

No sir, it's not unusual to have sweaty palms. When it's hot outdoors and I'm shooting, my palms get sweaty, as well as other parts of my body. This is natural. Moleskin is used to absorb sweat, primarily on the buttstock so that your cheek doesn't slip. While it does make the grips more comfortable, I never really thought about it trapping moisture. I certainly do not want my ATP smelling like anything other than gunpowder!

I'll definitely try something like grip tape. On my Glocks, the Pachymayr grip makes a huge difference for me with both comfort and my grasp on the gun.

I'm not 100% sure where I read it. I emailed two of my buddies who are in the military (Army & Marines) so let's see if they've ever heard of it. I did do a quick Google search, and came up with this: http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/4809/the-complete-long-range-system/

and this: http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3212136

It certainly isn't from ST6, but there's a few other websites that mention it as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A small piece of moleskin on the comb? Sure.

Every gripping surface wrapped in moleskin? Not so much. Especially when it's a high-contrast color.

But if it makes you have better precision sniper shots from what is essentially a HD shotgun, go for it.

stay safe.

MainelyGlock

Every gripping surface wrapped in moleskin? Not so much. Especially when it's a high-contrast color.

What, you don't think it looks pretty? :p

Anyways, I'll probably replace it with some type of the tape you mentioned and see how it works later on today. Thanks for the suggestion!

jeeper1

After looking at the pictures I concluded that you are left handed.

An interesting observation. When I just open the thread to read it the 2 pictures are small but when I clicked on the reply to thread button the pictures are large.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I have two thoughts:

(1) It is ugly.

(2) If it helps you handle/shoot the shotgun better, then it's a good thing.

"Retaining funk" isn't really an issue if it's only on the plastic parts. It won't hurt anything and you can replace it when it becomes worn out or to full of funk. I really don't care about looks on a working shotgun.

Aknazer

I agree with others that it looks ugly, but you admit that in the OP. Something else you could see about doing is getting the "rubber in a can" stuff and spraying it on the grips for a better...grip. I had seen a guide for this on the web before (the guy did it on his AR15 and some of the mags) and it didn't look too bad.