• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Title 21 § 1290.12 (a) 12

Therealgman

I am sure this has been discussed before, but this section of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act reads as follows,
If the background check set forth in subsection 11 of this section reveals no records pertaining to the applicant, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a concealed handgun license or deny the application within sixty (60) days of the date of receipt of the applicant’s completed application and the required information from the sheriff. In all other cases, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a concealed handgun license or deny the application within ninety (90) days of the date of the receipt of the applicant’s completed application and the required information from the sheriff. The Bureau shall approve an applicant who appears to be in full compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self- Defense Act, if completion of the federal fingerprint search is the only reason for delay of the issuance of the handgun license to that applicant. Upon receipt of the federal fingerprint search information, if the Bureau receives information which precludes the person from having a concealed handgun license, the Bureau shall revoke the concealed handgun license previously issued to the applicant.

If an Applicant has no records, then how can the OSBI post the following on their website????
Per Oklahoma State Statue, the OSBI has 90 days to process an application from the day all required information is received by the OSBI. This includes a good set of fingerprint cards.

I may be an ignorant okie, but if I have a clean record, then by Oklahoma State Statute, the OSBI must issue my license within 60 days of recieving my clean application. What recourse do we have if they dont?

TheRealGman

Last edited:

hrdware

I am sure this has been discussed before, but this section of the Oklahoma Self Defense Act reads as follows,

If an Applicant has no records, then how can the OSBI post the following on their website????

I may be an ignorant okie, but if I have a clean record, then by Oklahoma State Statute, the OSBI must issue my license within 60 days of recieving my clean application. What recourse do we have if they dont?

TheRealGman

It's called CYA. They put the longest possible date available to them instead of trying to explain the 2 scenarios. This way if someone thinks they have a clean record, but they don't OSBI doesn't have to try and explain the extra 30 days.

I do not know of any recourse if they take longer than the allotted amount of time.

hermannr

It's called CYA. They put the longest possible date available to them instead of trying to explain the 2 scenarios. This way if someone thinks they have a clean record, but they don't OSBI doesn't have to try and explain the extra 30 days.

I do not know of any recourse if they take longer than the allotted amount of time.

That is way too much time for them to twiddle their finger...get that law changed to 30 days (or less). It's 30 here in WA, and usually the license is there within a week.

hrdware

That is way too much time for them to twiddle their finger...get that law changed to 30 days (or less). It's 30 here in WA, and usually the license is there within a week.

Better yet, remove the permit all together. :banana: