Thread: Can a hotel post?

Campaign Veteran

Can a hotel post?

I would just look it up, bit I'm reduced to my Android phone at the moment.

I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage, but the door was posted. Since they rent rooms, don't they fall under the ruling of a landlord can not post a property when they rent space within?

Any help given is appreciated. I'm planning on chatting with the manager tomorrow (we are looking to rent 6 rooms for 3 weeks)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusToter View Post
    I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage
    Sausage?

Campaign Veteran
    Hah! Didn't even notice that. Wausau. Stupid auto-correct

Is it private property?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage, but the door was posted....
    Isn't that just south of tube steak, north of salami, southwest of wienerwurst and east of bratwurst?
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Is it private property?
    Landlords often may not restrict the actual occupants of the property they are renting. In effect, most states view a hotel room as *your* private property while you are staying there.

I know this has been discussed before, & the consensus was to go in, rent the room, then you're a tenant so you can carry there...
    But why give your money to an anti-rights hotel?
    (Yeah, I know, if you're really tired & can't find any place that supports civil rights.)

Also, if you OC in the common areas (or are spotted cc) you'd have to explain the law to the local constabulary... and we know how well that usually goes over.
    They might even try to claim they can steal your property (seize your pistol) & not give it back to you, for what is really only a ticket.

[Trespassing is not a crime, because there is no possibility of jail time as part of the punishment, therefore not only may they not take your property, they most certainly cannot refuse to return it to you.]
    Last edited by MKEgal; 06-06-2012 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

About all I can say about this hotel is that if I have no rights in your place, you get none of my money. I don't play games.
    Yes this does limit the places I shop and spend, but thats just how I roll.
    My rights come first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by amaixner View Post
    Landlords often may not restrict the actual occupants of the property they are renting. In effect, most states view a hotel room as *your* private property while you are staying there.
    It is my understanding that renting the room makes you a tenant. then you can carry im your room all you want. however they do have the right to ban all carry in all common areas including the hallways and lobby. this also might even extend to the pool area if properly posted. on my phone or i would cite for you.

I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage, but the door was posted. Since they rent rooms, don't they fall under the ruling of a landlord can not post a property when they rent space within?

Any help given is appreciated. I'm planning on chatting with the manager tomorrow (we are looking to rent 6 rooms for 3 weeks)

Also....read the fine print before you sign on the dotted line. You may be waiving your right to keep and bear arms and not realize it. The same goes for any lease contracts or deed restricted communities. I've seen several deed restricted communities that forbade firearms on all of the property.
    “The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the People of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” -- Samuel Adams

“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen. Citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.”

—John F. Kennedy

I don't know about WI, you will have to look carefully in your state law, but in Oregon, there is a specific statement about Hotel lobbies etc...No, they cannot prohibit entry into public areas, and Federal and state law says you can have it in your "residence".

I live in WA, and our laws are a bit different..we rely on court rulings here,,,.but from the wording of Oregon's law, I would also say that you could not be excluded from the common areas of a shopping mall. Read your WI carefully, and see if something like that is not there. Look for a "public accomdation" statement.

BTW: To the "private property" types...Think about this...there is private property (your home) and private property that is open to the general public (places of public accomodation". They are treated completely differently in the law. Don't think so...read the Americans with Disabilities Act and see how they define "public accomodation" there.