• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a hotel post?

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
I would just look it up, bit I'm reduced to my Android phone at the moment.

I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage, but the door was posted. Since they rent rooms, don't they fall under the ruling of a landlord can not post a property when they rent space within?

Any help given is appreciated. I'm planning on chatting with the manager tomorrow (we are looking to rent 6 rooms for 3 weeks)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MKEgal

I know this has been discussed before, & the consensus was to go in, rent the room, then you're a tenant so you can carry there...
But why give your money to an anti-rights hotel?
(Yeah, I know, if you're really tired & can't find any place that supports civil rights.) :cry:

Also, if you OC in the common areas (or are spotted cc) you'd have to explain the law to the local constabulary... and we know how well that usually goes over. :mad:
They might even try to claim they can steal your property (seize your pistol) & not give it back to you, for what is really only a ticket.

[Trespassing is not a crime, because there is no possibility of jail time as part of the punishment, therefore not only may they not take your property, they most certainly cannot refuse to return it to you.]

Last edited:

AaronS

About all I can say about this hotel is that if I have no rights in your place, you get none of my money. I don't play games.
Yes this does limit the places I shop and spend, but thats just how I roll.
My rights come first for me.

Cobra469

Landlords often may not restrict the actual occupants of the property they are renting. In effect, most states view a hotel room as *your* private property while you are staying there.

It is my understanding that renting the room makes you a tenant. then you can carry im your room all you want. however they do have the right to ban all carry in all common areas including the hallways and lobby. this also might even extend to the pool area if properly posted. on my phone or i would cite for you.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran

I was going to stay at the holiday inn in Sausage, but the door was posted. Since they rent rooms, don't they fall under the ruling of a landlord can not post a property when they rent space within?

Any help given is appreciated. I'm planning on chatting with the manager tomorrow (we are looking to rent 6 rooms for 3 weeks)

Also....read the fine print before you sign on the dotted line. You may be waiving your right to keep and bear arms and not realize it. The same goes for any lease contracts or deed restricted communities. I've seen several deed restricted communities that forbade firearms on all of the property.

hermannr

I don't know about WI, you will have to look carefully in your state law, but in Oregon, there is a specific statement about Hotel lobbies etc...No, they cannot prohibit entry into public areas, and Federal and state law says you can have it in your "residence".

I live in WA, and our laws are a bit different..we rely on court rulings here,,,.but from the wording of Oregon's law, I would also say that you could not be excluded from the common areas of a shopping mall. Read your WI carefully, and see if something like that is not there. Look for a "public accomdation" statement.

BTW: To the "private property" types...Think about this...there is private property (your home) and private property that is open to the general public (places of public accomodation". They are treated completely differently in the law. Don't think so...read the Americans with Disabilities Act and see how they define "public accomodation" there.