• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time involved in confrontation while OC'ing... horn blowing at intersection

ocholsteroc

We got the finger salute once, horn got stuck on the car, we couldn't stop laughing, the guy held it for 30+ seconeds or so. Had to get the horn fixed later.

I think your handled it well, also wasn't there another road rage just the other day from another OCDO member?

Last edited:

ocholsteroc

IME, if you are not already running the recorder, it's easy to forget to stop what you're doing, find the thing and turn it on. So, really, it's not 3 quick taps, it's find the phone, orient the device, find the buttons, tap them and, oh, remember under high stress to do so. I suggest running a stand-alone long playing audio recorder any time you're out and armed (or not armed).

+1 I heard of some crazy stories and if they didn't have the recorder they might be in jail for nothing.

badey

Congratulations marine ... you scared a little girl...KUDOS.....

Really???

The "little girl" seems, from the OP's description, to be ready to do some "big girl" actions. How exactly would you have handled an aggressive woman that is approaching your wife or gf to start a confrontation??

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Without them knowing the outcome of the situation I'm guessing the marine and his wife were both scared at some point, too, by the 'little girl's' actions.

I agree except I'm not sure anyone was scared. Concerned would be a better word.

The little girl certainly wanted to continue what was a normal daily traffic incident.
She followed the wife, got out and approached the car.
The Marine was concerned and got out, diffused the situation and everyone went home.

Pretty calm if you ask me.

I know someone...can't remember who:uhoh:, who was on his motorcycle waiting to make a left turn and an impatient driver started honking his horn. The Bike rider parked the bike and calmly walked to the car while the driver rolled the window up almost all the way.

He said "If you honk that GD horn one more time I'm going to pull you through that crack". The driver pulled across three lanes of traffic and sped away.

Now that's an example of scaring people.:lol:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
brlong, good on you Marine. I am a retired(only 35 yrs) Army Master Sergeant. I have found that "command voice" has been a VERY good tool in confrontations like this. I recently had a situation where a LEO unnecessarily drew and pointed his weapon at me. I, like you, used command voice to help deescalate the problem. I was told later, it took the LEO almost an hour and a half to stop shaking enough to drive his vehicle. Good use of "command voice" Marine, good situational awareness too.

Tanner

"Congratulations marine ... you scared a little girl...KUDOS....."

little girls are just as capeable of commiting crime as any one els. Besides when the girl had the balls to say "or els what youll shoot me" I would hardly consider her scared, worried or in any way concerned. Just stupid.

ocholsteroc

"Congratulations marine ... you scared a little girl...KUDOS....."

little girls are just as capeable of commiting crime as any one els. Besides when the girl had the balls to say "or els what youll shoot me" I would hardly consider her scared, worried or in any way concerned. Just stupid.

^

FWI I heard a Harvard study says 70 percent of domestic violence is committed by women against men.

Women commit crimes too!

half_life1052

To my way of thinking, things went very well. I don't think that "little girl" had any clue what she was getting ready to tangle with. A current active duty marine will have had LINE or MCMAP training. Things would not have been pretty had the two women fought. The OP did the aggressor a huge favor.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Returning the salute is obligatory...

Back in Jersey, that was part of Driver's Ed!

I had a weird one happen to me the other night. Wife was in her car, and I was in mine. We were next to each other at an intersection that quickly becomes one lane. I saw that her headlights weren't on, so I beeped the horn a few times and waved to her to roll her window down so that I could tell her.

As the lanes merged, I tried to slip in behind her, but some assclown decided to play hero because I must have been road raging this poor woman in his eyes. Damn near took off the side of my truck...the big yellow one with GUN signs all over it.

Stupid people...wannabe heroes.

Last edited:

brlong23

Blowing the horn may or may not indicate a lack of manners or impatience. Pulling a U-turn to flip off the horn blower may or may not indicate a lack of manners. Returning the sentiment may or may not indicate a lack of manners.

Pulling into the car wash after the OP and his wife may or may not indicate nefarious intent. Getting out of the car and approaching the OP's wife from an angle likely to be a blind spot may or may not indicate nefarious intent.

Confronting the female and warning her to stop/retreat is good tactics. Responding to her questioning of who the OP thought he was to tell her what to do ("I inform her that I don't know her and that the way she deliberately back tracked on my wife and attempted to approach her blind spot....") was good tactics.

Telling her "She's lucky I hadn't already drawn on her...." is, if I may be permitted to temper my comment, sheer stupidity.

Telling her that "if she continued to act in a threatening manner, I was going to call the police" was good tactics.

Protecting the wife/husband/kids/pet tarantula is a wonderful thing. But to make a threat - even veiled - of using a firearm? Not so much.

If there was a need to draw and shoot, you should have drawn and shot. If there was no need to draw and shoot, any reference to the firearm on your part is just not good tactics. She asked if you were going to shoot her if she did not back away? Respond that doing so was the last thing you wanterd to be forced by her actions to do. (Or words to that effect.) Put the responsibility back on her to decide how the exchange will end.

And for goodness sake, please tell us you had an audio recorder running through all of this!

stay safe.

Good break down of the situation and I agree on all points. I did not have an audio recorder. Honestly, it didn't even cross my mind but looking back, is certainly something that I should have done. Since this was my first encounter, it is a take away that I will remember should it occur again.

Thanks!

brlong23

Congratulations marine ... you scared a little girl...KUDOS.....

First of all, Marine is ALWAYS capitalized. Secondly, I believe (and apparently others do as well) that I handled the situation adequetly with the exception of one remark on my part. To imply that the young woman was innocent in this matter and that I "scared a little girl" is absured. That "little girl" deliberatly circled back and attempted to ambush my wife. The fact I discovered during the encounter that she was indeed unarmed is irrelevant. I suppose you would have me stand off to the side and allow this unknown woman to scream at my wife in an attempt to justify her actions, thus escalating the situation and potentially leading to a physical altercation between my wife and her? Get real Dave!

Last edited:

brlong23

To my way of thinking, things went very well. I don't think that "little girl" had any clue what she was getting ready to tangle with. A current active duty marine will have had LINE or MCMAP training. Things would not have been pretty had the two women fought. The OP did the aggressor a huge favor.

If you knew my wife, you would realize how big of an understatement you made...lol

love4guns

The wife and I decided to take our cars to get washed the other day and so I'm following her as we approach the turn into the car wash. There is a median where you have to cross 2 lanes of traffic and my wife had a car in front of her who sat for over 30 seconds with nobody coming in the opposite lanes. My wife honked her horn so the person would hurry up. The vehicle in front of her was occupied by a single white female (approx. 20 years old) who made a u-turn and proceded to flip my wife off in the process. My wife returned the one finger salute and we proceeded to make the left turn into the car wash. That was the end of it for us, until...we're the only ones waiting to enter the car wash as someone was already in it. While we're waiting, I noticed the same vehicle that engaged in the finger flipping had since circled back around behind our vehicles and parked off to the right of my wife's car out of her sight line, approximately 30 yards away. As I'm watching the vehicle behind my wife, I see the door open, the young woman exit the vehicle and begin to walk quickly towards my wife's car while trying to stay in her blind spot. The woman was obviously unaware that I was with her as she paid no attention to me. At this point, I'm fully aware of what's occuring and so I open my door and step out and around the back of my vehicle, in between her and my wife. At this point, my wife see's what's about to happen and also exits her vehicle. As the young woman begins to scream at my wife, I interupt her her loudly and with a lot of force in my voice (My Marine voice :lol:) that she needs to return to her vehicle immediately. She proceeds to attempt to explain why she was sitting at the intersection (she claims she is learning to drive a stick) to which I reply I don't care what she has to say and re-emphasize her need to return to her car. She then notices my Glock 27 attached to my hip and says, "Or what, you're going to shoot me?" I inform her that I don't know her and that the way she deliberately back tracked on my wife and attempted to approach her blind spot, she's lucky I hadn't already drawn on her and if she continued to act in a threatening manner, I was going to call the police. At this point, I believe she realized she had made a regretable mistake and returned to her car without saying another word.

A few points of interest...the young woman was approximately 5'5" 105 lbs and I'm 6'2" 205 lbs so I wasn't exactly threatend by her. However, not knowing her intentions, I was happy that I was armed. Also of note, I probably saved her an ass kicking she couldn't have imagined, as my wife is an active duty Marine who likely would have stopped beating her once she was unconcious or someone pulled my wife off of her...lol

Anyways, just thought I'd share my first experience where tempers flaired and my OC'ing came into play. Thoughts or comments are appreciated!

Did you see my post? I had an incident on the road while OCing. My situation involved a roided up bald headed 50 year guy not a girl. But we dont discriminate we it comes to self-defense do we? Good job

love4guns

Needless escalation of a situation. It rapidly devolved into a potentially bad scene and for what? Nothing. Glad everyone went home OK.

Are you a memeber of this forum just to give all of us a hard time? I am sorry dude but you are freaking annoying. I think you are a liberal sent here to spy on us gun loving bible reading OC-ers.....I got my eye on you

Blk97F150

Are you a memeber of this forum just to give all of us a hard time? I am sorry dude but you are freaking annoying. I think you are a liberal sent here to spy on us gun loving bible reading OC-ers.....I got my eye on you

Ok, I admit... I laughed. Out loud.

:lol:

paramedic

So the entire incident was precipitated by a horn blowing at a vehicle which conceivably could have been stalled even though it had no flashers on? If it sat there for "30 seconds" with no oncoming traffic, I'd have made the assumption there was a problem with the vehicle. In which case, a horn blowing wouldn't have been warranted and the entire situation wouldn't have taken place to start with.

Horn blowing is a pet peeve of mine anyway, especially someone who does it within a second or two of a light change. We're a bit more laid back in my area of SW VA and more likely to give a driver the benefit of doubt.

Not sure how deep into SWVA you are, but you are correct in saying we are a little more laid back, but we also do not have medians that you have to cross in order to cross two lanes of on coming traffic. But if you are close enough we need to get together and do some VCDL recruiting in this area.