• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few good experiences

jhco50

Life is interesting and carrying openly just adds to the experiences. I have a friend who owns a shoe repair shop. He does all my holster work by the way. I was in there the other day and he was telling me about this Korean woman who comes in from time to time to have her shoes repaired. He told me she is always griping at everything, the price, the repairs, this and that and he hates to see her come in. However, one day she came in and picked up her shoes, paid the guy and left without a cross word. This really stymied him until he realized I was sitting there with my sidearm exposed on my hip. He told me I should spend more time there. We had a good laugh over that.

So a young fella, military off duty I believe, came into the cafe I drink coffee at. He was open carrying and was nervous because when he came in he covered the top half of his sidearm with his T-shirt. I smiled and said he needed to show his firearm completely and he was in a welcoming environment. He then felt easier and uncovered it. He was a nice young man who was just getting used to carrying open.

I went to a mechanic shop because my rear end, I mean my trucks rear end is going out. I walked up and the owner said to one of his workers..."See, I told you, you could carry." It turns out the worker had gone to Walmart (Platte store I believe) and he saw two open carriers shopping in there. He started looking up what he could find on it and when he saw me started probing my feeble mind. He now wants to carry now that he knows the details.

Tonight, I had to have a Sheriffs Deputy come by due to dogs barking all night, every night. He came into the house to fill out a card for the neighbor and when he was done he ask me what kind of sidearm I had on. I told him it was an Armscor .38. I then unloaded it and let him look at it. He was kind of excited and recognized it as a Colt DS copy. He held it flat in his hands and commented on the weight and then held it in shooting position and was happy that it was barrel heavy. He really liked it and asked why I didn't carry a Smith & Wesson. I told him I keep brushing door jambs and didn't want to beat my Smith up. Turns out he is really pro-carry. He told me El Paso County is the Concealed Carry capitol of Colorado. He said the more the better. He told me the bad guys carried concealed and he liked that I was open about it.

These are the experiences that make me feel good about my fellow man. Dogs are still barking though. :eek:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Pard!
I want to thank you personally for doing your part to help promote open carry in Colorado.
Hopefully, when you experience those interactions with folks just getting started OC'ing, or thinking about it and asking questions, you'll recommend they check out our forum here on OCDO.

That brings something to mind that I've been thinking about.
There are a number of really inexpensive business card printers on the web.
I am thinking to have business cards printed with the URL for the OCDO forum, especially touting the Colorado board.
Such cards might have a few lines on the reverse that support the right of carry in Colorado, or at least references to the source material.
When encountering folks curious about OC, just answer their immediate questions and end the conversation with handing them a card.

I think that'd be a shpadoinkle thing to promote OC and the RKBA! Simple, and inexpensive.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

jhco50

I actually enjoy answering questions for potential carriers and I often recommend this site for information.

mobiushky

There's this.....

Colorado Gun Rights

...it's a pamphlet I did a few years ago and hopefully I've kept it properly updated along the way

I wish I had this this past weekend. I sold some stuff on Craigslist and when the guy came to pick it up he saw my gun. His first words were "Oh you have a concealed carry too." I explained that I didn't yet (getting there) but that is was legal to openly carry in CO. He was actually shocked (PS I saw the telltale bulge on his right hip of a concealed carry) anyway, he went on to say they didn't even mention that in his CCW class. I told him to come here to the website to check it out. He said he was going to do that. But having it all in one place would have been great. Thanks for doing this. I intend to have a least one of these in a pocket with me anytime I carry the gun. (which is pretty much everywhere but work these days.)

Keens

Thanks for the link! I've been searching for something like that to print out and keep on me while I'm out open carrying. And a few copies to hand out to those who are intrested.