• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Stop everyone at Intersection.

Levi

I hope there is a massive law suit in the works.

I also noted that at 0:27 "it turns out that the robber was among them, armed with these high powered hand guns." What constitutes a high powered hand gun?

Wolfebane

I hope there is a massive law suit in the works.

I also noted that at 0:27 "it turns out that the robber was among them, armed with these high powered hand guns." What constitutes a high powered hand gun?

Those guns, if they are what I think they are, are not "high powered"

At the very extreme end I would call .44 Magnum and above "high powered"

But in actuality I would only call something like the S&W .500 as "high powered"

This is nothing but bad policing, violation of constitutional rights, and fear based liberal media.

Fallschirjmäger

Police Chief Daniel Oates on Monday apologized to the innocent bystanders that got caught up in the search for the suspect. Oates also said the ends justify the means since the suspect was caught.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
The ends do not justify the means when any Constitutional right is trampled on.

+1

The story states :"they all consented to the search". I wonder what would have become of a law abiding citizen if they would have refused? 18 innocent people cuffed & detained for nearly two hours? They will call this good police work?

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Fallschirjmäger

guns-4.jpg

"Pardon me, citizen but these dozens of men all pointing high-powered weapons in your family's general direction need you to cooperate with them and voluntarily consent to being extracted from your vehicle and handcuffed. You Will cooperate... won't you?"?

Last edited:

Freedom First

So what's the going rate for false arrest? Reckless endangerment? Assault and battery under the color of law? Maybe a million each? Aurora have $40,000,000 extra sitting in a drawer somewhere?

What a screwup...

wolf-father

I would say the “reliable” tip was not so “reliable” if they still did not know who they were looking for. If it was reliable someone had to have known who to point out.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I would say the “reliable” tip was not so “reliable” if they still did not know who they were looking for. If it was reliable someone had to have known who to point out.

They used that word because the courts have used that word. The courts have ruled that anonymous tips do not meet PC/RAS, but tips from reliable sources may meet the PC or RAS thresh hold. From what the story describes, it seems on it's face to be an end around proper 4th amendment procedure. I certainly hope that the ACLU and/or others get involved. Too bad there wasn't a 4th amendment savvy person in one of the random vehicles to refuse a police search.

Jeff Hayes

No matter what if the Cops knew it was a man and they then detained a female by herself they have some splaining to do.

If they knew it was a white man and they detained a black man, the list of who they should not have detained could get very long.

This was for 2 hours, how do you detain people that do not match in any way the description of the bank robber. I am having a bad time understanding how they would not have some description in a two hour time frame.

If the Cops had no physical description of the suspect then everyone they detained was detained unlawfully. Either way I don't see this ending well for Aurora.

rapgood

"The search lasted between an hour and a half and two hours, and it wasn’t until the final car was searched that police apprehended the suspect."

Doh!

And my car keys are always in the last place I look.

Doh!

KBCraig

No matter what if the Cops knew it was a man and they then detained a female by herself they have some splaining to do.

If they knew it was a white man and they detained a black man, the list of who they should not have detained could get very long.
They kicked off this circus with no suspect description at all. Man, woman, white, black... they had no idea.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Then they have a lot bigger problems than I thought.

+1

This is what happens when cops play cops-and-robbers for themselves disconnected from why they are supposed to be playing the game.

Any citizen who made a "furtive" movement could well have been shot dead--and we all know the [STRIKE]shooter[/STRIKE] cop would have been let off scott-free as "justified" by his need to make a so-called "split-second" decision. A tragic--but justifiable--accident is how it would be characterized by government and press. This was about as unsafe an incident as possible.

There is no reason whatever the robber could not have been pursued as usual through investigation and normal police work, rather ther than endangering numerous citizens.

And, this doesn't even take into account whether someone might have had a large dog in his car. Anybody want to take bets whether the cops woulda shot an aggressive dog which was merely defending its owner or owner's child? Lotsa dogs killed by police. Google the word "puppycide." (no joke)

When cops play cops-and-robbers with utter disregard for the safety of the people they are supposed to be protecting, you know they want to play cops-and-robbers for their own sake rather than ours.

Here's an even more powerful image. Note the victim's obvious youth. Note the handgun being pointed from around the side of the ballistic shield. Yes, readers. Those are Amerikan cops.

Last edited:

Sig229

So if the bank robbers used a "black handgun" and you were in one of those stopped vehicles and legally had a "black handgun" in your car, I guess they are sending you to jail with bank robbery charges.

And of course, the LEO's would get on the stand at trial and lie and swear that it was you who robbed the place since you "matched the description" and all.

Jesus Christ, what country am I living in?

Last edited: