• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia LIS question regarding new laws

TFred

I took a quick look, but did not see anything on this...

July 1st is when most new law go into effect. In many cases, multiple bills are passed that affect one particular law.

Does anyone know if there is a way to see now (prior to July 1st) what the new versions of the laws will be after July 1st, taking into account all the bills that are applied to each existing law?

It's easy to see what affect any one bill has, but it would also be very handy to be able to have access to a "Code of Virginia, after July 1, 2012" database as well, so we can prepare.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Go to the section of LIS where the bills from the most recent session are listed. Read the final version.

It's a bit of research, but good training for the future, so go do it.:D

stay safe.

TFred

Go to the section of LIS where the bills from the most recent session are listed. Read the final version.

It's a bit of research, but good training for the future, so go do it.:D

stay safe.
That's not the answer I am looking for.

If Bill 1 changes three paragraphs, and Bill 2 changes four different paragraphs, I want to see the new version of the law with all seven new paragraphs in one place, before the new database goes live on or about July 1st.

I guess I'll have to drop a note to the web folks at LIS.

TFred

TFred

Well... I wrote and they replied. They don't seem to get it, or care. Seems line a no-brainer to me that it would be valuable to have access to the full set of new laws at least a short period of time before they go into effect...

TFred

TFred,

The on-line version of the Code of Virginia will be updated on July 1, 2012 to reflect those laws that were enacted, amended, or repealed during the 2012 Regular Session of the Virginia General Assembly.

The Division of Legislative Automated Systems assists the public with navigation of and questions regarding the Virginia Legislative Information System Web site. We are unable to assist users with legal questions, respond to requests for legal advice, interpret the law, or apply the law to specific facts. Persons needing legal advice may wish to contact the Virginia State Bar or Virginia Lawyer's Referral Service, (800) 552-7977.

Should you have additional questions, please contact our Help Desk.

Division of Legislative Automated Systems

Help Desk

(804) 786-9631

helpdesk@dlas.virginia.gov

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM, TFred wrote:

Hello,

Do you know when the database with the new laws will be going live?

Is there any chance it will be available prior to July 1st?

This would be a very useful service to provide early, since many sections of code have been altered by multiple bills, and until the new database is available, there is no easy way to quickly see what a new version of any particular code section will be after collating all the various bills that altered it.

Thanks for your time,

TFred