Thread: Moving to Puerto Rico 2013

Moving to Puerto Rico 2013

I am planning a move to Puerto Rico next year, can I keep my current CT permit if not what can I do as I am not moving forever, will probably be back and forth for some time and can use my brothers CT address if needed. or would I have to changeto a non resident.

Quote Originally Posted by bradco View Post
    I am planning a move to Puerto Rico next year, can I keep my current CT permit if not what can I do as I am not moving forever, will probably be back and forth for some time and can use my brothers CT address if needed. or would I have to changeto a non resident.
    You have to change your address.

Changing your address to an out of state address should make it (in effect) a non-resident permit.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

We need your help. Sign up at http://ctcarry.com

Additionally, the CT DESPP states notification is required within 48 hrs. of moving:

How do I change my address on my State Pistol Permit?

You can either call (860) 685-8290, or mail a letter to the Emergency Services and Public Protection, Division of State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT, 06457. Change of address is required within 48 hours, and the letter should include pistol permit number, name, and date of birth, old address, and new address.

May I keep my State Pistol Permit if I move out of state?

Yes, providing you notify the Special Licensing and Firearms Unit of the change of address, and continue to renew your permit.
    http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494618
    America, where freedom* reigns.

*Freedom subject to change depending on jurisdiction and availability. Some freedoms may not be available due to local political expedience or prevailing political correctness. Please check Federal, State, County, City, or any other special district for applicable laws governing the extents of freedoms prior to purchase.

-----------

“What you see is the fringe of the fringe showing up in Hartford today." - Danny Malloy a.k.a. "The Governor" 3/11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Freiheit417 View Post
    Additionally, the CT DESPP states notification is required within 48 hrs. of moving:

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?a=4213&q=494618
    Looks like the DPS changed it on their website, they should change it back to match the actual statute, the law does not state 48 hours, in CGS 29-28 it states, "A person holding a state permit issued pursuant to this subsection shall notify the issuing authority within two business days of any change of such person's address. The notification shall include the old address and the new address of such person." So you actually have 2 business days not 48 hours for those of you moving over a weekend.....

ETA: To keep this post on topic, to the OP, your permit will "automatically" be changed into a non resident permit when you change your address to outside the state of CT. If you move back it will just as easily be switched back to a resident permit...
    Last edited by brk913; 06-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Member: NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry and MRPC
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

Thanks when the time comes I will make sure to notify them within time specified, as it also expires next April and I will need to renew, along with my Pennsyvania and New Hampshire permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You have to change your address.

Changing your address to an out of state address should make it (in effect) a non-resident permit.

Hmm, this is a rare circumstance of Rich Burgess and me disagreeing.

If you will be regularly spending time in CT then you are a resident during the time you are here and entitled to a CT resident PP.
    This is assuming that you come to CT often. If its Chistmas, Easter, and a week during the summer, then you would be pushing it.

Remember, you can have only one domicile but you can have multiple residences.

The reality is that it does not take much to be considered a bona-fide resident. Either way, if its important to you, you may want to speak with an attorney.

For example, my brother-in-law is domiciled in NYC. He and my sister have a home in Old Saybrook that they spend weekends at.
    (The fact that he owns the home is irrelevant, by the way)

During the time he is there, he is a resident of CT. As such he was able to legitimately get a CT pistol permit.

Remember also that a resident permit allows you to purchase guns in CT. I mention this because firearms tend to be much more expensive in PR. (Based on my discussions with customers in PR) So the ability to buy the gun in CT then bring it back to PR may be a good thing.

Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 06-10-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    MCS Precision - Training, Sales, Transfers, Estate Purchases

07 FFL
    NRA Pistol and Rifle Instructor
    NRA Life Member