• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Forests in Virginia: Open Carry Experiances?

Miss Black Rifle Disease

Hello all, first post for me. Thanks for a very informative forum.

Through my own research I have found there to be a very large vortex of "no one knows for sure" when it comes to the question of open carry in a National Forest in Virginia. I have contacted my local Ranger district and spoken to a law enforcement officer. There answer is this: Only concealed carry is legal with a CCP. When I ask about the hunting season exception they seem to not want to provide an answer. I also asked him straight up as to what his action would be if he encountered me in his jurisdiction open carrying, his response: I would have to research that.

Basically as anyone who has tried to figure this out in Virginia knows, this whole topic is ridiculously convoluted. So because the laws are unclear it seems this really comes down to what a National Forest LEO or DGIF officer would do if they came across you practicing open carry regardless of what the law actually is. Even if someone can make a case that it's legal, if the LEO perceives a violation you may very well wind up with a summons or even a weapon confiscation or potentially an arrest.

So my question: Has anyone had an encounter with a LEO while open carrying in a National Forest in Virgina?

papa bear

i only know about open carry in state parks and of course national parks. you might want to try anfd put this in a general topic so some of the other states can get in on it

Miss Black Rifle Disease

Experiences in other states aren't relevant as National Forest Ranger District's enforce gun laws based on the state they are in and they're interpretation of such. To my knowledge there is no Federal regulations specifically regarding firearms in Dept of Agriculture National Forest lands. But please correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:

papa bear

Experiences in other states aren't relevant as National Forest Ranger District's enforce gun laws based on the state they are in and they're interpretation of such. To my knowledge there is no Federal regulations specifically regarding firearms in Dept of Agriculture National Forest lands. But please correct me if I am mistaken.

the general rules apply in all national forest, no matter what the state. if they have to go by the state (that they are in), then all of them would

there is a difference between national forest and national parks

Miss Black Rifle Disease

the general rules apply in all national forest, no matter what the state. if they have to go by the state (that they are in), then all of them would

there is a difference between national forest and national parks

I had an extensive conversation with NFS Ranger district manager today and according to what he told me you are incorrect. NFS firearms rules are applied per the relevant state laws. There are no Federal laws pertaining to firearms in National Forests and that it's left up to individual Forest Supervisors to set policy on this topic.

papa bear

sorry i am sending this over you head.:banghead: my poor sentence structure. thank you for agreeing with me :)

love4guns

I had an extensive conversation with NFS Ranger district manager today and according to what he told me you are incorrect. NFS firearms rules are applied per the relevant state laws. There are no Federal laws pertaining to firearms in National Forests and that it's left up to individual Forest Supervisors to set policy on this topic.

I OC on the AT alot I have not had any encounter with a LEO. Now as most of you now the AT is under the National Park Services Not NF therefore its legal. Be careful who you talk to about this. I too spoke with NF rangers that said you can only CC in the NF w/permit except for hunting season. I am not really sure who to believe on this matter. So when I go out I stick to the AT or stay within the Shenadoah national park to be safe.

Miss Black Rifle Disease

sorry i am sending this over you head.:banghead: my poor sentence structure. thank you for agreeing with me :)

Poor sentences don't make "over the head" points. From what I gather I do not agree with your position. State law governs Natl Forest, not NF policy. If that is what you are saying then I'm guessing English is your second language? :p

papa bear

Poor sentences don't make "over the head" points. From what I gather I do not agree with your position. State law governs Natl Forest, not NF policy. If that is what you are saying then I'm guessing English is your second language? :p

try turning that around, national forest policy is to go by state laws. there does that work better for you :lol:

BTW would that not be the policy for all NF no matter what state they are in?

papa bear

is that OC or CC? what about a state that does not require a CCP? and what about a state that allows OC in the parks of their state?

love4guns

is that OC or CC? what about a state that does not require a CCP? and what about a state that allows OC in the parks of their state?

Still the NF has its own set of rules that have to be followed....sucks I know. What I do is explore and backcountry camp various national and state parks in Virginia because OC is legal now year round. Then in the fall during hunting season I venture out into the NF.

Dcarey

OC in GW National Forest

Hello all, first post for me. Thanks for a very informative forum.

Through my own research I have found there to be a very large vortex of "no one knows for sure" when it comes to the question of open carry in a National Forest in Virginia. I have contacted my local Ranger district and spoken to a law enforcement officer. There answer is this: Only concealed carry is legal with a CCP. When I ask about the hunting season exception they seem to not want to provide an answer. I also asked him straight up as to what his action would be if he encountered me in his jurisdiction open carrying, his response: I would have to research that.

Basically as anyone who has tried to figure this out in Virginia knows, this whole topic is ridiculously convoluted. So because the laws are unclear it seems this really comes down to what a National Forest LEO or DGIF officer would do if they came across you practicing open carry regardless of what the law actually is. Even if someone can make a case that it's legal, if the LEO perceives a violation you may very well wind up with a summons or even a weapon confiscation or potentially an arrest.

So my question: Has anyone had an encounter with a LEO while open carrying in a National Forest in Virgina?

I have called the George Washington National Forest Dry River District HQ the three times I have opened carried in the forest to check to make sure I was not breaking the law. They have told me they follow the local state law if you have a ccp you can carry concealed if you do not you may carry open be aware you are near the West Virgina border and I do not know there laws about open carry. What is legal in VA is legal in the Forest.

Last edited:

love4guns

I have called the George Washington National Forest Dry River District HQ the three times I have opened carried in the forest to check to make sure I was not breaking the law. They have told me they follow the local state law if you have a ccp you can carry concealed if you do not you may carry open be aware you are near the West Virgina border and I do not know there laws about open carry. What is legal in VA is legal in the Forest.

If this is true, great! Would you happen to have the number you called?

Miss Black Rifle Disease

I've had two different rangers from two different Ranger districts tell me otherwise. And both stated, only during hunting season may you OC. And there is this: See page 4 under Fireworks and Firearms as well as this:

4VAC15-40-60

Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.

A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

Last edited:

love4guns

A
I've had two different rangers from two different Ranger districts tell me otherwise. And both stated, only during hunting season may you OC. And there is this: See page 4 under Fireworks and Firearms as well as this:

4VAC15-40-60

Hunting with dogs or possession of weapons in certain locations during closed season.

A. Department-owned lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains and national forest lands statewide. It shall be unlawful to have in possession a bow, crossbow, or any firearm that is not unloaded and cased or dismantled on all national forest lands statewide and on department-owned lands and on other lands managed by the department under cooperative agreement located in counties west of the Blue Ridge Mountains except during the period when it is lawful to take bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl on these lands.

your correct I just called and asked myself

papa bear

this sort of reminds me of a thread from this site or another that claimed, in WV, if you step into the woods (i assume public), then you fall under the jurisdiction of the wildlife dept. which has a total set of firearm laws

but, i do wonder if the cite that MBRD posted, is an older cite from before the state of VA allowed open carry in state parks. since the NF says they go by state laws

Miss Black Rifle Disease

this sort of reminds me of a thread from this site or another that claimed, in WV, if you step into the woods (i assume public), then you fall under the jurisdiction of the wildlife dept. which has a total set of firearm laws

but, i do wonder if the cite that MBRD posted, is an older cite from before the state of VA allowed open carry in state parks. since the NF says they go by state laws

I also cited the state law that says it's a no-go.

Last edited:

papa bear

one more time ;

i wonder if the cite MBRD cited was a old cite , since VA allows OP in parks now and the NF says it goes by state laws