View Poll Results: How often do you carry in the open?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100%

8 9.20%
  • 90-99%

22 25.29%
  • 80-89%

10 11.49%
  • 70-79%

6 6.90%
  • 60-69%

3 3.45%
  • 50-59%

9 10.34%
  • 40-49%

3 3.45%
  • 30-39%

5 5.75%
  • 20-29%

8 9.20%
  • Less than 20% of the time

13 14.94%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you carry in the open?

How often do you carry in the open?

How often do you carry in the (intentionally) open?
    (where the firearm is clearly exposed to the general public, not just the muzzle below the hem of the coat)
    Last edited by gogodawgs; 06-06-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    How often do you carry in the open?

versus concealed?
    You have been here for 4,475 posts and ask a question like that?

This is some sort of fraternity initiation stunt, right?

Or is there something driving your interest in how often folks frequenting an OC forum bother to carry concealed?

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 06-06-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Many will CC in the rain as to avoid a wet handgun. I will CC if I am going a long distance in the rain such as on a hike in the hills. I don't bother to CC in the rain if I am just going from the parking lot into Safeway or other retail establishments. As I do live on the wet side of the mountains, I tend to CC more than someone from the dry side of the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    You have been here for 4,475 posts and ask a question like that?

This is some sort of fraternity initiation stunt, right?

Or is there something driving your interest in how often folks frequenting an OC forum bother to carry concealed?

stay safe.
    What I have discovered over time and what I hope to show is that many on the Washington forum carry CC a majority of the time. They understand and carry OC, but for a variety of reasons carry CC >50%.
    Live Free or Die!

I usually wear a jacket when I'm out and about (I travel by motorcycle) so legally I conceal carry. It is generally easier to just wear the jacket rather than to remove it and carry it around. My sidearm is usually exposed a little and a large frame .357mag is obvious to nearly everyone. My friend jokes about the it referring to it as "failed concealment." (He conceals all the time and is a little worried I might get hassled but is supportive of my views.) I have a CPL for so that I don't have to think about the manner in which I'm carrying atm.

There are times when I choose to stealth carry. Primarily in locations like medical facilities or where there's an extreme likelihood of me being trespassed for being armed. I don't carry at all at locations where it's illegal. While I try to avoid those locations whenever possible but work requires it. Generally, I try not to give money or time to anyone that feels that I should just be a victim.

What is the definition of "carry in the open" for this poll? When it's completely on the outside of all clothing and visible in it's entirety? When there's no effort to actually hide the sidearm? When it doesn't meet the legal definition of concealed? Local weather plays a part for most people on how they carry. Depending on how you interpret it, I carry in the open 10% to 99% of the time.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

What I have discovered over time and what I hope to show is that many on the Washington forum carry CC a majority of the time. They understand and carry OC, but for a variety of reasons carry CC >50%.
    I have been curious about this as well. I find that in the winter I am CC more than I am OC, in the summer I am OC more than I am CC. I checked 80% as an average. The more I have OCed, 3 years or so now, the less I seem to care if it shows or not. I started out hyper aware that I was OC, I am to the point now where I almost forget I am OC. I don't know if that is good or bad, LOL

Do I OC out in the open vs. OC when I'm concealed? Or, do you mean to ask whether I OC more than I CC?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Do I OC out in the open vs. OC when I'm concealed? Or, do you mean to ask whether I OC more than I CC?
    You made me shoot Dr. Pepper out my nose.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Personally I care if they carry, be it open or concealed.

Is this to hint if someone does not open carry a certain percentage they are less supportive of open carry then someone that does so 99% of the time?

Of this group how many actually seek out correcting their local laws that restrict carry be it open or concealed and all that really matters if they support the Right to Keep and Bears Arms.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I am in the habit of open carrying in the open (vs. open carrying concealed?). If it rains, as it so often does in the Great Northwest, I do not change the habit. I am very big on muscle memory and I want it in the same place all the time. If my weapon gets wet, I clean it. Maintenance is more important to Open Carriers due to the constant exposure of the weapon.

I remember participating in this conversation about a thousand times, sound familiar Navy??
    "Sarge, it's effin rainin and my rifle will get wet!"...."Knock off the mouth, get out in the rain and Do Not call Me sarge!!"
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Because I live in western WA where it rains 70% of the year, I prefer to carry concealed. The other 30% when it's actually dry, I carry open.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    You do know this is OPENcarry.org?
    No, I must be an idiot. Yet the question still stands.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
    Because I live in western WA where it rains 70% of the year, I prefer to carry concealed. The other 30% when it's actually dry, I carry open.
    Actually only about 50% of the days are 'rainy' and Seattle gets less annual rain than Houston, TX. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762183.html

I carry about 95% of the time in the open, rain or shine.
    Live Free or Die!

Actually only about 50% of the days are 'rainy' and Seattle gets less annual rain than Houston, TX. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762183.html

I would have prefered an option that included weather. When it is cold, I wear a coat, when it rains (doesn't happen here on the dry side much, but it does rain) I wear a coat. However, I wear the same holster, in the same position, all the time..I just don't make sure the coat is short and tuck the coat behind the holster.

Could you redue the question...maybe another thread...where you ask the same question with the added word..."intentially", that is how often do you "intentially carry concealed"? I have no idea how often I wear a coat...when it is cold...which is all winter here.

I'm obviously more of a wuss than you. Plus, my Sig is made out of sugar and might melt. Or, I'm just too lazy to clean my firearm that often.

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone use FrogLube CLP for their OC guns? The reason I ask is that it's supposedly ideal for firearms that are subject to water and since the issue of weather came up, I thought I would ask.

I'm obviously more of a wuss than you. Plus, my Sig is made out of sugar and might melt. Or, I'm just too lazy to clean my firearm that often.
    I carry exclusively Sig's, 1911, 229, 250... wipe them off if they get wet, which is rare. Of course I do not work or stand out in the rain. Just from parking lot to store and back....
    Live Free or Die!

Weather can be a problem sometimes. I exclusively CC at church for my own reasons.

I carry exclusively Sig's, 1911, 229, 250... wipe them off if they get wet, which is rare. Of course I do not work or stand out in the rain. Just from parking lot to store and back....
    Good point. I really don't spend much time out in the rain, either. Maybe I should just grow a pair and quit worrying about a little drizzle.

Btw, 229 SAS for OC and 239 SAS for CC.

anyone use FrogLube CLP for their OC guns? ...................., I thought I would ask.
    I use Army issue CLP. Works great, keeps cleaning even after I stop and it keeps the water damage down.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Due to weather, work constraints, etc. my best guess is that I OC only about a third of the time.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

It depends were I'm going to if I OC or CC. Store I OC. Church I CC.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

Thumbs up

Depends on the weather, as others have said i live on the wet side, so if it is cold or raining i have a jacket on. otherwise i OC so i say 50% of the year i am OC. Of course in the summer it is 99-100% of the time.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

It may not rain all the time but there are definitely a lot of those "clear" days that are just too cold to go without a coat. If the coat covers my firearm, so be it.

If I lived in Arizona or somewhere where the average daily temp was over 50 degrees, I'd be leaving the coat home.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I spend the winter months OCing a shotgun with my handgun CC. I OC all the time but most of that is not around people. I guess I should have put 100% but due to human interactions on the low side I put 60%. hope this shows my dedication, that is what you are looking for is people just as dedicated. I hope I get okayed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast