• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How often do you carry in the open?

• 100%

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • 90-99%

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • 80-89%

Votes: 10 11.8%
  • 70-79%

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 60-69%

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 50-59%

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 40-49%

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • 30-39%

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • 20-29%

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Less than 20% of the time

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
How often do you carry in the (intentionally) open?
(where the firearm is clearly exposed to the general public, not just the muzzle below the hem of the coat)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

versus concealed?

You have been here for 4,475 posts and ask a question like that?

This is some sort of fraternity initiation stunt, right?

Or is there something driving your interest in how often folks frequenting an OC forum bother to carry concealed?

stay safe.

Last edited:

The Big Dog

Many will CC in the rain as to avoid a wet handgun. I will CC if I am going a long distance in the rain such as on a hike in the hills. I don't bother to CC in the rain if I am just going from the parking lot into Safeway or other retail establishments. As I do live on the wet side of the mountains, I tend to CC more than someone from the dry side of the mountains.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
You have been here for 4,475 posts and ask a question like that?

This is some sort of fraternity initiation stunt, right?

Or is there something driving your interest in how often folks frequenting an OC forum bother to carry concealed?

stay safe.

What I have discovered over time and what I hope to show is that many on the Washington forum carry CC a majority of the time. They understand and carry OC, but for a variety of reasons carry CC >50%.

Levi

I usually wear a jacket when I'm out and about (I travel by motorcycle) so legally I conceal carry. It is generally easier to just wear the jacket rather than to remove it and carry it around. My sidearm is usually exposed a little and a large frame .357mag is obvious to nearly everyone. My friend jokes about the it referring to it as "failed concealment." (He conceals all the time and is a little worried I might get hassled but is supportive of my views.) I have a CPL for so that I don't have to think about the manner in which I'm carrying atm.

There are times when I choose to stealth carry. Primarily in locations like medical facilities or where there's an extreme likelihood of me being trespassed for being armed. I don't carry at all at locations where it's illegal. While I try to avoid those locations whenever possible but work requires it. Generally, I try not to give money or time to anyone that feels that I should just be a victim.

What is the definition of "carry in the open" for this poll? When it's completely on the outside of all clothing and visible in it's entirety? When there's no effort to actually hide the sidearm? When it doesn't meet the legal definition of concealed? Local weather plays a part for most people on how they carry. Depending on how you interpret it, I carry in the open 10% to 99% of the time.

Jeff Hayes

What I have discovered over time and what I hope to show is that many on the Washington forum carry CC a majority of the time. They understand and carry OC, but for a variety of reasons carry CC >50%.

I have been curious about this as well. I find that in the winter I am CC more than I am OC, in the summer I am OC more than I am CC. I checked 80% as an average. The more I have OCed, 3 years or so now, the less I seem to care if it shows or not. I started out hyper aware that I was OC, I am to the point now where I almost forget I am OC. I don't know if that is good or bad, LOL

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Personally I care if they carry, be it open or concealed.

Is this to hint if someone does not open carry a certain percentage they are less supportive of open carry then someone that does so 99% of the time?

Of this group how many actually seek out correcting their local laws that restrict carry be it open or concealed and all that really matters if they support the Right to Keep and Bears Arms.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I am in the habit of open carrying in the open (vs. open carrying concealed?). If it rains, as it so often does in the Great Northwest, I do not change the habit. I am very big on muscle memory and I want it in the same place all the time. If my weapon gets wet, I clean it. Maintenance is more important to Open Carriers due to the constant exposure of the weapon.

I remember participating in this conversation about a thousand times, sound familiar Navy??
"Sarge, it's effin rainin and my rifle will get wet!"...."Knock off the mouth, get out in the rain and Do Not call Me sarge!!"

Rob G

Because I live in western WA where it rains 70% of the year, I prefer to carry concealed. The other 30% when it's actually dry, I carry open.

hermannr

Actually only about 50% of the days are 'rainy' and Seattle gets less annual rain than Houston, TX. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762183.html

I carry about 95% of the time in the open, rain or shine.

I would have prefered an option that included weather. When it is cold, I wear a coat, when it rains (doesn't happen here on the dry side much, but it does rain) I wear a coat. However, I wear the same holster, in the same position, all the time..I just don't make sure the coat is short and tuck the coat behind the holster.

Could you redue the question...maybe another thread...where you ask the same question with the added word..."intentially", that is how often do you "intentially carry concealed"? I have no idea how often I wear a coat...when it is cold...which is all winter here.

Rob G

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone use FrogLube CLP for their OC guns? The reason I ask is that it's supposedly ideal for firearms that are subject to water and since the issue of weather came up, I thought I would ask.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I'm obviously more of a wuss than you. Plus, my Sig is made out of sugar and might melt. Or, I'm just too lazy to clean my firearm that often. :lol:

I carry exclusively Sig's, 1911, 229, 250... wipe them off if they get wet, which is rare. Of course I do not work or stand out in the rain. Just from parking lot to store and back....

Rob G

I carry exclusively Sig's, 1911, 229, 250... wipe them off if they get wet, which is rare. Of course I do not work or stand out in the rain. Just from parking lot to store and back....

Good point. I really don't spend much time out in the rain, either. Maybe I should just grow a pair and quit worrying about a little drizzle.

Btw, 229 SAS for OC and 239 SAS for CC.