Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Richmond

University of Richmond

I have to be on campus at the University of Richmond this month. Its part of volunteer work I'm doing. I searched their web-site and didn't come up with anything stating you can not carry there. Does anyone know if it is against their rules? Please post the link here to that information if you have it.

So does this mean its been talked to death or that I'm going to be the test bed?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    So does this mean its been talked to death or that I'm going to be the test bed?
    I believe you're the point man!

Interesting place to be...not fun, but interesting.

Interesting place to be...not fun, but interesting.

Keep your nose to the wind and your eyes on the skyline!

Thanks! I'll remember that! I hope nothing goes awry. I'll let you guys know.

Strange that they do not publish a "Student Code of Conduct". Even stranger that their "Report A Concern About A Student" form https://publicdocs.maxient.com/incid...UnivofRichmond does not even mention firearms.

Remember, do not ask. Leave immediately if asked/told to do so. Do not bring up whether or not there are signs posted.

From the personal experience of a friend, I can tell you they do not permit fishing at the lake.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    From the personal experience of a friend, I can tell you they do not permit fishing at the lake.

stay safe.
    There you have it Skid. They don't allow you to pack a rod on school grounds!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    There you have it Skid. They don't allow you to pack a rod on school grounds!
    Now Peter he didn't say you couldn't pack a rod, just can't use it.

Friend got told to please pack up and go away instead of getting busted for fishing - because he sucessfully demonstrated that he had not caught anything. Not that I would know anything about such behavior, but I was under the impression that he was merely looking for a cover for loitering to observe the spring migration. And on a college campus where someone sitting on the lawn with a book would be about as inconspicuous as you can get!

Them Baptists are sure a funny bunch.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

This is one of those things I would have never thought of. The firearm regulation on school ground applies only to k-12 if im not mistaken. So a college campus is legal. Of course policy may restrict it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    This is one of those things I would have never thought of. The firearm regulation on school ground applies only to k-12 if im not mistaken. So a college campus is legal. Of course policy may restrict it.
    It has to be a regulation to hold the force of law. The rules of campuses only apply to students.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln7 View Post
    It has to be a regulation to hold the force of law. The rules of campuses only apply to students.
    not quite...
    students, faculty, staff, volunteers. sanctions generally being employment termination for faculty & staff, or expulsion for students.
    Last edited by mk4; 06-09-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    “For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

as i understood the state law is , anybody that is not employed or contacted with, by said collage can carry on the grounds. just that some collages have made carry in their building prohibited.

if you are a student, faculty, or worker, you can be expelled or fired for having a firearm on campus.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    as i understood the state law is , anybody that is not employed or contacted with, by said collage can carry on the grounds. just that some collages have made carry in their building prohibited.
    all dependent on how the university words their VAC regulation, but generally correct. they need to be specific in their language regarding prohibited places.

if you are a student, faculty, or worker, you can be expelled or fired for having a firearm on campus.
    lots more leeway in the rules they can impose through university policy, just like any employer.

I wish everybody would slow down a bit and read the name on the mailbox - University of Richmond is a private school and cannot do anything with the Virginia Administrative Code.

We were looking for policy, and looking where the public would be most likely to look for and find policy. We came up dry. That being said, if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

"if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving."

About as straight forward as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    "if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving."

About as straight forward as it gets.
    Yes, thanks for setting us straight, Skid.

I wish everybody would slow down a bit and read the name on the mailbox - University of Richmond is a private school and cannot do anything with the Virginia Administrative Code.

We were looking for policy, and looking where the public would be most likely to look for and find policy. We came up dry. That being said, if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving.

stay safe.
    i didn't know that. thanks for teaching me something today.

The student handbook is posted here: http://studentdevelopment.richmond.e...dent-handbook/

Here's an excerpt that mentions firearms:
    Guns and Other Weapons The possession, storage, use of, or attempt or threat to use any kind of weapon is prohibited on-campus. This includes, but is not limited to:
    • Ammunition, BB guns, explosives, firearms, fireworks, pellet (soft or hard) guns, paintball guns, or any air or gas weapon or any similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not
    Remember this comes from the student handbook so it applies to current students. It is interesting to note that the alcohol policy has wording that specifically says it applies to everyone on campus, visitors included. However the firearms policy does not have that wording.

I also found this on the campus police page: http://police.richmond.edu/reporting...finitions.html

Weapons possession violations are defined as violations of laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature, such as: manufacture, sale, or possession of deadly weapons; carrying of deadly weapons, concealed or openly, furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons and all attempts to commit any of the above.
    Now carrying openly or concealed isn't a violation of any law or ordinance, but I'd imagine based on this wording that they would try and tell you it is. But remember it's a private institution so they can always just ask you to leave.

Lastly, I seem to recall that there was a 2nd amendment debate there maybe 5-6 years ago (memory is foggy). I also think there used to be a thread (on the old OC board) about how UR prohibited campus carry even for guests- this was before the VT shootings. But this was all a while ago and I can't find it now, so I may be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by vt357 View Post
    The student handbook is posted here: http://studentdevelopment.richmond.e...dent-handbook/

Here's an excerpt that mentions firearms:

Remember this comes from the student handbook so it applies to current students. It is interesting to note that the alcohol policy has wording that specifically says it applies to everyone on campus, visitors included. However the firearms policy does not have that wording.

I also found this on the campus police page: http://police.richmond.edu/reporting...finitions.html

Now carrying openly or concealed isn't a violation of any law or ordinance, but I'd imagine based on this wording that they would try and tell you it is. But remember it's a private institution so they can always just ask you to leave.

Lastly, I seem to recall that there was a 2nd amendment debate there maybe 5-6 years ago (memory is foggy). I also think there used to be a thread (on the old OC board) about how UR prohibited campus carry even for guests- this was before the VT shootings. But this was all a while ago and I can't find it now, so I may be misremembering.

I read the ones posted on the campus police page and thought the same thing. I will be legally carrying openly. So there's no problem. But sometimes it feels like these are written this way to bait people in. I thought about calling and asking. But I highly doubt I will be given the correct information.
    I dont know how I'm going to handle this one. On one hand I feel like just manning up and walking openly on campus. On the other I dont feel like having the college put on lock down and getting tackled by the swat team either, lol. Its one thing if the rules are clear. I'm okay with that. But this wishy, washy way they are written really bugs me...

I read the ones posted on the campus police page and thought the same thing. I will be legally carrying openly. So there's no problem. But sometimes it feels like these are written this way to bait people in. I thought about calling and asking. But I highly doubt I will be given the correct information.
    I dont know how I'm going to handle this one. On one hand I feel like just manning up and walking openly on campus. On the other I dont feel like having the college put on lock down and getting tackled by the swat team either, lol. Its one thing if the rules are clear. I'm okay with that. But this wishy, washy way they are written really bugs me...
    Bowes....sometimes it's just best to leave it in the car and not mention the event on OCDO.

There are a lot of OC rules...I don't know who makes them, maybe Mike, but they are really only guidelines. You don't have carry every minute.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Bowes....sometimes it's just best to leave it in the car and not mention the event on OCDO.

There are a lot of OC rules...I don't know who makes them, maybe Mike, but they are really only guidelines. You don't have carry every minute.
    Thank you for bringing this up peter nap! Yeah, I dont let what people here say dictate how I act completely. I do take what everyone says under advisement and apply it to my life. But that doesn't mean I make all of my decisions based on the OCDO litmus test. I like you guys and I hope you all understand. But I am responsible for my actions and no one elses! Thank you guys for your input! It's always good!

Strange that they do not publish a "Student Code of Conduct". Even stranger that their "Report A Concern About A Student" form https://publicdocs.maxient.com/incid...UnivofRichmond does not even mention firearms.

Remember, do not ask. Leave immediately if asked/told to do so. Do not bring up whether or not there are signs posted.

stay safe.
    My kids fish the lake, and years ago they let me sail an RC boat there. But I never went back since the wind swirled way too much.

All my carry has been concealed at events there. Sorry I can't help more.

Richmond class of 2012 member here. I actually registered to provide input for this thread. The way it was understood on campus was that, if you were not URPD, you could not carry. The reason for this, as has been pointed out, is that the University is a private institution, and thus free to pretty much establish any rules they want. Further, based on previous "man-with-a-gun"/"shots fired" bulletins we received via text, I would think that open carry is not only not allowed but discouraged. Your mileage may vary.

Fishing at the lake, however, is fairly common. I wouldn't eat what I caught though. Some chem students did an analysis of the lake and it wasn't pretty.
    Last edited by The3clipser; 06-11-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast