• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Richmond

Bowesmobile

The student handbook is posted here: http://studentdevelopment.richmond.edu/student-handbook/

Here's an excerpt that mentions firearms:

Remember this comes from the student handbook so it applies to current students. It is interesting to note that the alcohol policy has wording that specifically says it applies to everyone on campus, visitors included. However the firearms policy does not have that wording.

I also found this on the campus police page: http://police.richmond.edu/reporting/crime-definitions.html

Now carrying openly or concealed isn't a violation of any law or ordinance, but I'd imagine based on this wording that they would try and tell you it is. But remember it's a private institution so they can always just ask you to leave.

Lastly, I seem to recall that there was a 2nd amendment debate there maybe 5-6 years ago (memory is foggy). I also think there used to be a thread (on the old OC board) about how UR prohibited campus carry even for guests- this was before the VT shootings. But this was all a while ago and I can't find it now, so I may be misremembering.

I read the ones posted on the campus police page and thought the same thing. I will be legally carrying openly. So there's no problem. But sometimes it feels like these are written this way to bait people in. I thought about calling and asking. But I highly doubt I will be given the correct information.
I dont know how I'm going to handle this one. On one hand I feel like just manning up and walking openly on campus. On the other I dont feel like having the college put on lock down and getting tackled by the swat team either, lol. Its one thing if the rules are clear. I'm okay with that. But this wishy, washy way they are written really bugs me...

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I read the ones posted on the campus police page and thought the same thing. I will be legally carrying openly. So there's no problem. But sometimes it feels like these are written this way to bait people in. I thought about calling and asking. But I highly doubt I will be given the correct information.
I dont know how I'm going to handle this one. On one hand I feel like just manning up and walking openly on campus. On the other I dont feel like having the college put on lock down and getting tackled by the swat team either, lol. Its one thing if the rules are clear. I'm okay with that. But this wishy, washy way they are written really bugs me...

Bowes....sometimes it's just best to leave it in the car and not mention the event on OCDO.:lol:

There are a lot of OC rules...I don't know who makes them, maybe Mike, but they are really only guidelines. You don't have carry every minute.

Bowesmobile

Bowes....sometimes it's just best to leave it in the car and not mention the event on OCDO.:lol:

There are a lot of OC rules...I don't know who makes them, maybe Mike, but they are really only guidelines. You don't have carry every minute.

Thank you for bringing this up peter nap! Yeah, I dont let what people here say dictate how I act completely. I do take what everyone says under advisement and apply it to my life. But that doesn't mean I make all of my decisions based on the OCDO litmus test. I like you guys and I hope you all understand. But I am responsible for my actions and no one elses! Thank you guys for your input! It's always good!

Ric in Richmond

Strange that they do not publish a "Student Code of Conduct". Even stranger that their "Report A Concern About A Student" form https://publicdocs.maxient.com/incidentreport.php?UnivofRichmond does not even mention firearms.

Remember, do not ask. Leave immediately if asked/told to do so. Do not bring up whether or not there are signs posted.

From the personal experience of a friend, I can tell you they do not permit fishing at the lake.

stay safe.

My kids fish the lake, and years ago they let me sail an RC boat there. But I never went back since the wind swirled way too much.

All my carry has been concealed at events there. Sorry I can't help more.

The3clipser

Richmond class of 2012 member here. I actually registered to provide input for this thread. The way it was understood on campus was that, if you were not URPD, you could not carry. The reason for this, as has been pointed out, is that the University is a private institution, and thus free to pretty much establish any rules they want. Further, based on previous "man-with-a-gun"/"shots fired" bulletins we received via text, I would think that open carry is not only not allowed but discouraged. Your mileage may vary.

Fishing at the lake, however, is fairly common. I wouldn't eat what I caught though. Some chem students did an analysis of the lake and it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Richmond class of 2012 member here. I actually registered to provide input for this thread. The way it was understood on campus was that, if you were not URPD, you could not carry. The reason for this, as has been pointed out, is that the University is a private institution, and thus free to pretty much establish any rules they want. Further, based on previous "man-with-a-gun"/"shots fired" bulletins we received via text, I would think that open carry is not only not allowed but discouraged. Your mileage may vary.

Fishing at the lake, however, is fairly common. I wouldn't eat what I caught though. Some chem students did an analysis of the lake and it wasn't pretty.

Welcome to OCDO! Nice to see the input.

I couldn't tell from your post whether you were making a distinction between what you've been told or read, and what the law says. You're quite right - if the student handbook prohibits firearms, you couldn't carry as a student. If the faculty/staff handbook(s) prohibit firearms, then faculty/staff can't carry. But none of those publications cover non-UR persons.

That makes UR simply private property. The owner, or his designated agent, can ask one to leave, and failure to do so could carry a non-firearms charge. There's even some question as to whether signs in Virginia have the force of law, so someone carrying on campus where posted would be doing so at his own peril.

The3clipser

Welcome to OCDO! Nice to see the input.

I couldn't tell from your post whether you were making a distinction between what you've been told or read, and what the law says. You're quite right - if the student handbook prohibits firearms, you couldn't carry as a student. If the faculty/staff handbook(s) prohibit firearms, then faculty/staff can't carry. But none of those publications cover non-UR persons.

That makes UR simply private property. The owner, or his designated agent, can ask one to leave, and failure to do so could carry a non-firearms charge. There's even some question as to whether signs in Virginia have the force of law, so someone carrying on campus where posted would be doing so at his own peril.

I was basing my post on what I was told, combined with the campus response to someone allegedly carrying a firearm on-campus (person was never found). The school sent text message alerts to all students telling them to stay indoors until the situation was resolved, if I am remembering this correctly, and there was a significant police presence.

To clarify, as a student (my area of experience), we were prohibited from keeping firearms on campus, period. I will do my best to find a clear policy on guests, but to my knowledge the response from URPD would not be welcoming. I'm hoping someone proves me wrong, because I would like very much to open-carry there when I go back to visit someday.

Last edited: