• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

University of Richmond

Bowesmobile

I have to be on campus at the University of Richmond this month. Its part of volunteer work I'm doing. I searched their web-site and didn't come up with anything stating you can not carry there. Does anyone know if it is against their rules? Please post the link here to that information if you have it.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Strange that they do not publish a "Student Code of Conduct". Even stranger that their "Report A Concern About A Student" form https://publicdocs.maxient.com/incidentreport.php?UnivofRichmond does not even mention firearms.

Remember, do not ask. Leave immediately if asked/told to do so. Do not bring up whether or not there are signs posted.

From the personal experience of a friend, I can tell you they do not permit fishing at the lake.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Friend got told to please pack up and go away instead of getting busted for fishing - because he sucessfully demonstrated that he had not caught anything. Not that I would know anything about such behavior, but I was under the impression that he was merely looking for a cover for loitering to observe the spring migration. And on a college campus where someone sitting on the lawn with a book would be about as inconspicuous as you can get!:banghead:

Them Baptists are sure a funny bunch.

stay safe.

Tanner

This is one of those things I would have never thought of. The firearm regulation on school ground applies only to k-12 if im not mistaken. So a college campus is legal. Of course policy may restrict it.

Lincoln7

This is one of those things I would have never thought of. The firearm regulation on school ground applies only to k-12 if im not mistaken. So a college campus is legal. Of course policy may restrict it.
It has to be a regulation to hold the force of law. The rules of campuses only apply to students.

mk4

It has to be a regulation to hold the force of law. The rules of campuses only apply to students.

not quite...
students, faculty, staff, volunteers. sanctions generally being employment termination for faculty & staff, or expulsion for students.

Last edited:

papa bear

as i understood the state law is , anybody that is not employed or contacted with, by said collage can carry on the grounds. just that some collages have made carry in their building prohibited.

if you are a student, faculty, or worker, you can be expelled or fired for having a firearm on campus.

mk4

as i understood the state law is , anybody that is not employed or contacted with, by said collage can carry on the grounds. just that some collages have made carry in their building prohibited.

all dependent on how the university words their VAC regulation, but generally correct. they need to be specific in their language regarding prohibited places.

if you are a student, faculty, or worker, you can be expelled or fired for having a firearm on campus.

lots more leeway in the rules they can impose through university policy, just like any employer. :uhoh:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I wish everybody would slow down a bit and read the name on the mailbox - University of Richmond is a private school and cannot do anything with the Virginia Administrative Code.

We were looking for policy, and looking where the public would be most likely to look for and find policy. We came up dry. That being said, if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving.

stay safe.

Tanner

"if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving."

About as straight forward as it gets.

mk4

I wish everybody would slow down a bit and read the name on the mailbox - University of Richmond is a private school and cannot do anything with the Virginia Administrative Code.

We were looking for policy, and looking where the public would be most likely to look for and find policy. We came up dry. That being said, if a UR cop or other administrative official (not academic or buildings/grounds type) came up and asked you to leave we would be operating under the trespass laws - leave or be arrested for not leaving.

stay safe.

i didn't know that. thanks for teaching me something today.

vt357

The student handbook is posted here: http://studentdevelopment.richmond.edu/student-handbook/

Here's an excerpt that mentions firearms:
Guns and Other Weapons The possession, storage, use of, or attempt or threat to use any kind of weapon is prohibited on-campus. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Ammunition, BB guns, explosives, firearms, fireworks, pellet (soft or hard) guns, paintball guns, or any air or gas weapon or any similar in appearance, whether capable of being fired or not

Remember this comes from the student handbook so it applies to current students. It is interesting to note that the alcohol policy has wording that specifically says it applies to everyone on campus, visitors included. However the firearms policy does not have that wording.

I also found this on the campus police page: http://police.richmond.edu/reporting/crime-definitions.html

Weapons possession violations are defined as violations of laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature, such as: manufacture, sale, or possession of deadly weapons; carrying of deadly weapons, concealed or openly, furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons and all attempts to commit any of the above.

Now carrying openly or concealed isn't a violation of any law or ordinance, but I'd imagine based on this wording that they would try and tell you it is. But remember it's a private institution so they can always just ask you to leave.

Lastly, I seem to recall that there was a 2nd amendment debate there maybe 5-6 years ago (memory is foggy). I also think there used to be a thread (on the old OC board) about how UR prohibited campus carry even for guests- this was before the VT shootings. But this was all a while ago and I can't find it now, so I may be misremembering.