• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about transfer of handguns between private parties

mobiushky

I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions, but I want to be 100% sure. I have a friend who is pretty anti-gun. I mean DARN anti-gun. Anyway, come to find out that he has an older handgun that belonged to his dad. (I'm not giving too many details yet....) Anyway, he doesn't want it, but no one else in his family wants it either. So he keeps it in a closet unloaded, I know, sad. So I'm trying to convince him, so far unsuccessfully, that he should let me have it so he doesn't have to be afraid. I doubt I'll be successful, but let's say I am. Are there any specific laws regarding him just giving my the gun? I don't think he'll sell it because he wouldn't want to "profit" from a gun. And it was his dad's. So it would be a simple hand over.

(PS, if I am successful I'll give you all the details.)

mahkagari

Other than him being reasonably sure you're not a nutjob felon and you making sure that he didn't steal it, nope.

JamesB

I'm pretty sure there are no restrictions, but I want to be 100% sure. I have a friend who is pretty anti-gun. I mean DARN anti-gun. Anyway, come to find out that he has an older handgun that belonged to his dad. (I'm not giving too many details yet....) Anyway, he doesn't want it, but no one else in his family wants it either. So he keeps it in a closet unloaded, I know, sad. So I'm trying to convince him, so far unsuccessfully, that he should let me have it so he doesn't have to be afraid. I doubt I'll be successful, but let's say I am. Are there any specific laws regarding him just giving my the gun? I don't think he'll sell it because he wouldn't want to "profit" from a gun. And it was his dad's. So it would be a simple hand over.

(PS, if I am successful I'll give you all the details.)

Yes, there is no problem.

There is no paperwork or background or liscensing or registration or law or any requirement here in Colorado what so ever, if you are both private individuals and neither of you has a Federal Firearms Liscense.

mobiushky

As it stands right now, he isn't deciding. But he said if he ever does decide to give it up, he'll think of me first. In his words, he knows it would get a good home with me and that's important to him. So, who knows.

O2HeN2

Got a safe? Seriously, simply offer to store it for him. Explain that if his house gets broken into and someone steals the gun, well, you get the picture. Tell him it's the responsible thing to do (locking it up).

After a period of time he'll probably just give it to you.

O2

MainelyGlock

Gunslinger

Yes, there is no problem.

There is no paperwork or background or liscensing or registration or law or any requirement here in Colorado what so ever, if you are both private individuals and neither of you has a Federal Firearms Liscense.

As long as you are both CO residents or active duty military. A bill of sale is always a good idea, however, and you should pay him $1. The bill should state, "for value received..." you do not have to note the price paid.