• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

June 23rd ABQ area OC Meet and Eat

TravisNM

o8qpb.jpg

IHOP
8100 Wyoming Blvd NE # 13 Albuquerque, NM 87113
The exact coordinates: 35.174703,-106.556587

Saturday, June 23, 2012
5:00pm until 8:00pm

>Facebook event<

This month we're going to meet up in Albuquerque at the IHOP on Paseo Del Norte and Wyoming (right next to Dion's). It's a nice place and a location that is easy for most in the area to find.

My OC Meet Tips:
(feel free to add your own)

*Care how you look*
You're representing a controversial movement. Try not to fit the part of any stereotype other than "well-mannered law-abiding citizen".

*Don't touch your firearm unless you're drawing for protection*
If you want to show something off then do so without actually touching it. We don't want to give anyone (law-ignorant citizens) any further cause for alarm.

*Be polite to everyone*
You may be confronted by a person with Hoplophobia (a mental disturbance characterized by irrational aversion to weapons). Police may respond to a call where someone reported "hundreds of terrorists pointing their machine guns at babies and old people." Just be nice, keep your cool, and leave ad hominem attacks out of it. If you can't do that or don't feel comfortable at any time just shut up and let someone else handle it.

*Be prepared to be criticized by your OC peers*
If you misrepresent the group you might be politely asked to make an adjustment. And if you think something I'm doing is bad for the movement or group then I expect to be told.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLoveNM

June 23rd ABQ area OC meet and eat

Hey TravisNM, I am moving back to NM, my home state next month and am interested in getting involved with the local OC movement there. do you all meet every month, or just when posted? also I wanted to ask you how is a OC and the person treated within the community there of Santa Fe, the capital city? I will me moving to SF and know the city fairly well, but have never lived long term there, nor attempted OC locally before? currently live in Florida, we do not have OC here so this will be a new concept to me. thanks for any info you can give a newbie on the subject!! JLoveNM

AH.74

Jlove- I'm in Santa Fe and can tell you that OC is not something seen very often. I have done it once or twice but on those occasions it's only been to run into a store from my truck, so no real time spent where I'm out in public.

There was a video that went around a while back of a guy getting a bit of a hard time for OC'ing here in a neighborhood I don't think is too far from me, but then again he interrupted a traffic stop so the cops were kind of annoyed with him from the beginning. I would say that if you are considering doing it, study up and know the laws very well.

As far as the gatherings, the intention is to have monthly get-togethers in the Abq region, with weekly meets at one of the Dunkin' Donuts. There's a separate thread with that information.

JLoveNM

Open Carry Meets, ABQ.

AH.74 - Hey thanks for responding to my post. I too have never, ever witnessed open carry in Santa Fe proper except of course for LEO's. all my time spent there prior to has been as a visitor, so of course I wasn't going to give it a try at that point. I pretty well imagined undertaking OC in downtown SF, on the Plaza, or walking the city streets will raise some hair with the local Liberals to no end, but also I feel the law is the law and as you stated best to well research the law first to make sure ones following it to the letter? I also am a firm believer in that how one presents themselves in this respect will be key in the type respone to expect? as with the monthly meets where its suggested members act accordingly, I suspect that will apply even more so when attempting to OC in a public setting, especially the state capital and the Liberal legislature capital of NM? I get the impression that local law enforcement such as SFPD and SFCS are extremley liberal outfits just from what I have read about them. thank god I have never had a reason to meet them in a negative way before and I hope it stays that way? though I think it may be instructive and informative to be able to talk one on one with the chiefs of either force just to get their own thoughts on the subject of OC, CC and guns ownership in general? though anything said one would have to take with a grain of salt?? I have spoken with local SF Rep. Brian Egolf about gun ownership and gun rights and got the usual predicted respone about how pro-gun he is and how he himself is a hunter/sportsman, I suspect he was more concerned with getting a campaign donation at the time? I love NM and love SF, but I think moving there full time will be an eye opener, being a gun and self defense afficiando? well see how it goes!! Thanks for the input and hope to see all at the meet in July. JLoveNM

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
...then more OCers need to be goin' to Santa Fe (if there aren't enough locals) for some "public educatin' -- it's only an hour from ABQ.

Some years back an OCDO member was posting here about his OCing in Taos -- IIRC, no negative incidents were reported...

Last edited:

AH.74

...then more OCers need to be goin' to Santa Fe (if there aren't enough locals) for some "public educatin' -- it's only an hour from ABQ.

There's an IHOP and a Village Inn right on Cerrillos Rd, easy to get to from I25. I would be happy to go over and talk to them about having a group meet up there.

Jlove- I think you're on the right track. In giving it good, solid thought you're way ahead of the game to begin with. Give me a shout when you get here, maybe I can show you some places to shoot. There's only one indoor range and I avoid that place if at all possible. Outside is all I do.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
@AH.74: ...and a Denny's not far from it, also on Cerillos. I guess you could at least go on a "recon mission" and see if any of them are posted ("No Guns" signs at or inside their front doors).

@ Jlove: You just need to get used to OCing in NM, don't over-think or over "what-if" the concept re: how others may or may not react, even the cops, IF, that is, Santa Fe cops are a bit behind in their OC learning curve (don't know if they are or aren't). But even if they ARE (for argument's sake) THEY need educatin' as well, so people DO need to be OCing in Santa Fe. Besides, if things go "awry" via a false arrest or serious police harrassment, a nice lawsuit may get you that condo in Aspen you always wanted (or my condo in Hawaii) -- so look at the bright side. ;-)

Seriously though, you're not doing anything illegal by OCing (aside from places that are off-limits of course) so just go ahead and exercise your right. It DOES take a stronger person to OC, if you will, since your gun IS out there and people CAN notice (but many don't or they just think you're a cop and nothing more about it) unlike "safer" CCing where people never see your gun so they can't stare at or question you. So people fearful of even "disapproving stares" may not want to try OCing...it's probably not for them.

After you DO get used to OCing, however, I think you'll find it's no big deal (really) and you may find your biggest problem is not the reactions of others, OR the cops, but getting so comfortable (complacent) with it your situational awareness level is reduced somewhat. Not good.

I need to get re-used to it every time I OC there since I am only in NM once a year (December) so I'm not able to OC every day, year after year, in order to fully get used to it (as I am with CC here in TX -- we don't have OC in TX). But other OCDO members who live in NM and OC regularly probably get comfortable with it pretty quickly.

Good luck...

Last edited: