• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoes

DocSkunk

(sorry if there is a thread like this)

Shoes is the topic of this thread

I tend to OC when ever im not at work or school. my outfits are well maintained nothing ratty and i have seen many threads about appearance when OCing and how you carry yourself. But nothing over shoes. During the winter most of us wear boots or shoes to keep the snow off, but during the summer months what is your shoes of choice while OC? Im sure most dont think about what kinda of shoes they wear while OC or just carrying in general, so i thought i would put in my 2 cents on this topic. I just like most in the hot months wear flip flops and find them to be the most comfortable to wear....unless i carry. I say this and i know i will receive some flack from my word choice so forgive me i find waring flip flops to be less tactical. By this I mean that in flip flop if i need to draw and stand i will be fine, and i think most of us can do that without problems, but if you need to move to cover or run, being in flip flops impedes movement to me, and maybe others. The last thing i want to have to do is kick off the flip flops just to be mobile. specially in a parking lot, or places with stones and risk of glass just to move. So i find shoes or boots while carrying to be the most effective if something happens. I guess its thinking a few steps ahead in my book. So if i carry CC or OC i always put on shoes for above reasons. so i would like to hear from others what there input on the matter of foot wear or if this has helped anyone.

Skunk

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Somewhere around here, OCDO, is a thread on tactical footwear that includes an image of tactical slippah, as kama'aina call'em. IIRC, they had snakeskin uppers with ground-gripper and open-toed lowers.

I dress for the occasion and then I put on whichever gun I wish, the OC SA1911 or the CC H&K USP. In South Carolina I carried on the beach wearing slippah or barefoot. When I ride armed then I wear Keens with SPD cleats. At a masquerade as a Fruit Fly/Tooth Fairy I wore one-inch heels (a real challenge), pink tights, wings, a tutu, white domino and the H&K (in a borrowed ThunderWear holster).

Last edited:

jeeper1

I wear sandals year round even in the snow. Also to make things worse, fashion wise, I wear white over-the-calf compression socks too.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
According to the signs posted, they must be accompanied by shirts.

While I understand that "appropriate" or "acceptable" attire is better than looking like whatever you want to call the opposite, I do not at all understand the apparent need to catalog each and every possibility and determine if the rest of the universe approves/disapproves of your choice. If you are grown up enough to carry a handgun you ought to be grown up enough to decide how you want to dress yourself.

Comments about yo' momma left out on purpose.

stay safe.

jimpen

I generally wear cowboy boots day in/day out. I also can't stand open shoes/flip fops.

My shoe that I wear around the house, property or to jump in the car to run down to the corner C-Store are commonly called aqua socks. I call them river runners.

They're generally cheap enough that if they get damaged, I don't care. Around a pool or other activity they dry out quickly. And if it's cooler out, I can wear ankle socks and it doesn't look too weird.

They're good for staying at a hotel to run down the hall for ice, or go out for a smoke.

There are differences in the sole's thickness, between brands, that make some better for walking on rough surface or longer distances. That said, the ones at Wal-mart are generally good enough for casual use. They generally stay on well and would be good in a "short term situation." :uhoh:

According to the signs posted, they must be accompanied by shirts. -- skidmark

Actually there is no law that requires you, as a customer, to wear shoes anywhere. I won't get into the shirts controversy. :lol:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Actually there is no law that requires you, as a customer, to wear shoes anywhere. I won't get into the shirts controversy. :lol:

Got a citation?

Not that I'm doubting you. Just tying to better my knowledge base, which currently says in some locales the health codes are what drives that and that health codes are enforcable.

And, as long as the discrimination is based on the amount of clothing worn and not on prohibited issues any business owner/operator can give you the choice of complying or being trespassed.

Now, why are shirts and shoes mandated, but not pants?

stay safe.

WalkingWolf

"What man wears flip flops lol"

I do, that is if I am not barefoot~~same for my wife. Unless it is freezing outside we are both in flip flops. And yes I open carry a handgun wearing flip flops.

jimpen

Got a citation?

Not that I'm doubting you. Just tying to better my knowledge base, which currently says in some locales the health codes ...

I linked to it in the No Law above, but the link is to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot#Laws

As I understand it they could trespass you, as a customer, for not complying with signs. Just like they can trespass someone for OC. But I bet that if someone said to a local news station that <franchise X> had him trespassed for not wearing shoes, it would go over about as well as the armless woman case. OC is a little more sensitive, but still.

Uber_Olafsun

"What man wears flip flops lol"

I do, that is if I am not barefoot~~same for my wife. Unless it is freezing outside we are both in flip flops. And yes I open carry a handgun wearing flip flops.

Same here. I used to run around barefoot on gravel as a kid and my feet still have some of that Shaka Zulu toughness. One day I walked out to help my wife get some stuff out of the car and thought I had a rock stuck in my foot but it turned out to be a small piece of glass. Didn't even cut me just stuck in the leather of my foot.

j4l

most of time, when outdoors around home (most often place Im OC), Im normally in my Wolverine work boots. Ive used em for working outside around the house (lot of un-even ground/roots etc. here -forrest/swamp, + tons of snakes that like to try to take a bite out of ankles and heels) as well as for hiking, etc. on trips. Good footing/traction on a variety of terrain, and are waterproof to boot (every pun intended).
sometimes though, Im in sandals (leather). but, if a situation (tactical) were to arise, and im in those sandals, Im pretty sure Id just step out of em, or kick em off- before trying to run around in them.

But- it leads me to an idea of been kicking around for some time, as well. That of middle-of-the-night footwear: When you are in bed for the night- and the alarm goes off, or a window/door breaks, and the dogs start barking- what is one most likely to do for footwear, when they hop out of bed and pick up the shotgun/nightstand sidearm? Sandals, or slippers?

If for this, or some other emergency (fire/etc.) one has to bug-out quick in the middle of the night- I cant imagine having or taking the time to pull on a pair of boots and lace em up, right?

You dont want to go into action (be it tactical or other emergency )bare-foot and possibly take injury to one's feet via broken glass, debris, etc., right?

So, I've been kicking around the idea of making a "tacitcal" slipper, of sorts. Sole of a tactical boot/shoe ,but with a "body" of the shoe you can just slip into quick, to at least bug out with some footwear on... Havent finalized any designs, as yet though..

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

So, I've been kicking around the idea of making a "tacitcal" slipper, of sorts. Sole of a tactical boot/shoe ,but with a "body" of the shoe you can just slip into quick, to at least bug out with some footwear on... Havent finalized any designs, as yet though..

They used to make tire tread flip flops, but I haven't seen them in a long time. There also used to be a custom sandal shop in Key West, FL.

jimpen

That's why I recommended the aqua socks option.
41GXXWdEiqL._SX395_.jpg
The sides mean it stays on your feet, the soles are thick enough to do casual gravel, etc. I wouldn't want them as a primary shoe day in and out. But to go tactical quickly at 1AM they work.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Amigo!
Here in Colorado, we tend to wear boots all year round.
But that doesn't mean we don't have appropriate footwear for spring and summer!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Attachments

• Tactical Boots.jpg
    Tactical Boots.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 96