Thread: Licensing Open Carry, and 15 other steps to curb gun violence

Licensing Open Carry, and 15 other steps to curb gun violence

Last edited by deanf; 06-06-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Ah, the California solution. It's working so well down there.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

I wonder if they will ever research the effects of gun control on overall crime and violence rates in an unbiased search for the facts... I say unbiased because these types of searches from anti groups usually end in the rare or made up statistics being focused on instead of the truth.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Yeah....good luck with that one. Stricter gun laws won't help in the least.

Disarming those who abide by the law only creates victims for those who don't.

I say we all pitch in buying her a one ticket to Chicago. Were she can learn first hand how stupid ideas always work out.
    I carry a Para Ordance 1911 .45 ACP.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    I wonder if they will ever research the effects of gun control on overall crime and violence rates in an unbiased search for the facts... I say unbiased because these types of searches from anti groups usually end in the rare or made up statistics being focused on instead of the truth.
    We just need to be armed with the real facts to counter biased arguments.

Dr. Kleck' research from florida state university is a fine answer to every anti-gun group that ever rubbed a coherent thought together.

http://www.guncite.com/
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Here's an article on the topic published right after "Heller".

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/we...pagewanted=all

An interesting quote:

“It’s very hard to wrap your head around,” said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at the University of California at Los Angeles, whose work supporting an individual-rights view of the Second Amendment was cited three times by the majority in last week’s decision. “You have to think about the particular kind of gun control at work, and you have to subdivide gun users and gun abusers.”

There is some evidence, Professor Volokh said, that denying guns to people who might use them in self-defense, usually merely by brandishing them, tends to increase crime rates. There is also evidence that the possibility of confronting a victim with a gun deters some criminals.

In addition, criminals are the people least likely to obey gun control laws, meaning that the laws probably have a disproportionate impact on law-abiding individuals. “For the typical gun control law,” Professor Volokh said, “you’ll have very little positive effect but a possible negative effect.”
    and another:

European nations with more guns had lower murder rates. As summarized in a brief filed by several criminologists and other scholars supporting the challenge to the Washington law, the seven nations with the most guns per capita had 1.2 murders annually for every 100,000 people. The rate in the nine nations with the fewest guns was 4.4.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I wonder how much her list cost Seattle's Taxpayers.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

I've got some ideas to add...

Since she didn't bring anything original to the table, I thought I would help her with some of my ideas...

Hop over to my blog and check them out. Thanks and enjoy!

“Are we serious about public safety? Here are sixteen things we can actually do.”
    Freedom can never be lost, only given away by ignorance, by choice, or at the point of a gun. Here in America we can still choose.

Freedom First 1775

"I aim to misbehave..." Malcolm Reynolds