• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Licensing Open Carry, and 15 other steps to curb gun violence

xxx.jakk.xxx

I wonder if they will ever research the effects of gun control on overall crime and violence rates in an unbiased search for the facts... I say unbiased because these types of searches from anti groups usually end in the rare or made up statistics being focused on instead of the truth.

cpgrad08

I say we all pitch in buying her a one ticket to Chicago. Were she can learn first hand how stupid ideas always work out.

Schlepnier

I wonder if they will ever research the effects of gun control on overall crime and violence rates in an unbiased search for the facts... I say unbiased because these types of searches from anti groups usually end in the rare or made up statistics being focused on instead of the truth.

We just need to be armed with the real facts to counter biased arguments.

Dr. Kleck' research from florida state university is a fine answer to every anti-gun group that ever rubbed a coherent thought together.

http://www.guncite.com/

amlevin

Here's an article on the topic published right after "Heller".

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/weekinreview/29liptak.html?pagewanted=all

An interesting quote:

“It’s very hard to wrap your head around,” said Eugene Volokh, a law professor at the University of California at Los Angeles, whose work supporting an individual-rights view of the Second Amendment was cited three times by the majority in last week’s decision. “You have to think about the particular kind of gun control at work, and you have to subdivide gun users and gun abusers.”

There is some evidence, Professor Volokh said, that denying guns to people who might use them in self-defense, usually merely by brandishing them, tends to increase crime rates. There is also evidence that the possibility of confronting a victim with a gun deters some criminals.

In addition, criminals are the people least likely to obey gun control laws, meaning that the laws probably have a disproportionate impact on law-abiding individuals. “For the typical gun control law,” Professor Volokh said, “you’ll have very little positive effect but a possible negative effect.”

and another:

European nations with more guns had lower murder rates. As summarized in a brief filed by several criminologists and other scholars supporting the challenge to the Washington law, the seven nations with the most guns per capita had 1.2 murders annually for every 100,000 people. The rate in the nine nations with the fewest guns was 4.4.