• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 6-6-12: Republicans Trying to Kill Restaurant Carry?

NC-Heel

Rotor you are right, but letting it try and stand on its' own two feet is a death sentence. When they stripped it out it should have been added to another bill. Maybe it will die instead of getting a dreaded "NO" vote. That way it can come back later with the proper accompaniment, ie movie theater carry. The reason I was given for it going to the SFC was that all financial matters get preference during the short session so that way it was more likely to come to vote.

Charlotte media picked up on the story today and put their anti spin on it. http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/NC-guns-in-bars-bill-could-die-in-committee-158617455.html

merc460

<snip>

This should have been rolled it into allowing concealed carry into places that charge admission, ie movie theaters. No one can find anything wrong with going to the movies and being able to protect yourself in the parking lot afterwards. Making the main focus of this bill being allowing firearms where alcohol is served doomed it from the start.

I agree. You have remember how the media is spinning this.... GUNS and BOOZE. I would love to be able to carry into the movies. My family hates that I do not like to go out much because of both the restaurant issue and admission issue.

rotorhead

Rotor you are right, but letting it try and stand on its' own two feet is a death sentence. When they stripped it out it should have been added to another bill. Maybe it will die instead of getting a dreaded "NO" vote. That way it can come back later with the proper accompaniment, ie movie theater carry. The reason I was given for it going to the SFC was that all financial matters get preference during the short session so that way it was more likely to come to vote.

Charlotte media picked up on the story today and put their anti spin on it. http://www.wcnc.com/news/politics/NC-guns-in-bars-bill-could-die-in-committee-158617455.html

I hear you, man. But honestly, I don't know if rolling it into another bill back then was a feasible option. I'd have to go back and look at the circumstances, but I'm not sure if it was able to be folded into another one. I think the general thought was that the Republican leaders in both chambers were adding it to the short session as is so that it could be easily looked at and voted on with little consideration due the limits of it's contents. I mean, besides the obvious debate over it, it wasn't stuffed with other things that could be used to drag the thing on like what would happen to a much larger bill.

It was removed in consideration of passing the much larger "Castle Doctrine" bill at the last minute with the understanding that it would be voted on in the short session.

Either way, the Republican leadership said they would bring it to a vote and that they wouldn't hide it in other committees to let it die.

Turns out they flat out lied. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't see so much about it right now.

To me, it's an issue when people who are elected lie to the ones who voted them into office. Many people brush it off as expected and just part of the political game, I take it otherwise.

If Republicans don't want to honor their voters, other people just might. We'll see in the next few days, and again in November.

cricketdad

I hear you, man. But honestly, I don't know if rolling it into another bill back then was a feasible option. I'd have to go back and look at the circumstances, but I'm not sure if it was able to be folded into another one. I think the general thought was that the Republican leaders in both chambers were adding it to the short session as is so that it could be easily looked at and voted on with little consideration due the limits of it's contents. I mean, besides the obvious debate over it, it wasn't stuffed with other things that could be used to drag the thing on like what would happen to a much larger bill.

It was removed in consideration of passing the much larger "Castle Doctrine" bill at the last minute with the understanding that it would be voted on in the short session.

Either way, the Republican leadership said they would bring it to a vote and that they wouldn't hide it in other committees to let it die.

Turns out they flat out lied. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't see so much about it right now.

To me, it's an issue when people who are elected lie to the ones who voted them into office. Many people brush it off as expected and just part of the political game, I take it otherwise.

If Republicans don't want to honor their voters, other people just might. We'll see in the next few days, and again in November.

Last year HB 111 crossed over and was put into the Rules committee. Tom Apodaca's committee, the graveyard of bills. We were able to get it reassigned to J2 and now you see where we are at. All of this because of a poll that was done.

62 Caddy

reply from Senators

I think there is still time to get this bill through, contact the senate!
Wife sent this email to all republican senators, two replys below.

Dear Republican Senators,

House Bill 111 ("Amend Firearms Law") would give restaurant employees and patrons the means to defend themselves against violent thugs, yet Senate Republican leadership is trying to stall the bill to death with unnecessary committee referrals instead of sending it to the floor for a vote.

Media reports indicate that the Finance Committee claims to be too busy working on the budget to consider HB 111, and yet you have had time to pass bills creating official butterflies and "Livermush Festivals". Please adjust your priorities and move HB 111 to the Senate floor. It is sad that I can have personal safety in Virginia restaurants but not in my home state of North Carolina. I will be monitoring this closely, it is personally important to me and my family.

Reply from Sen Goolsby:
Thank you for this contact. I support restaurant carry, the Castle Doctrine and repeal of the state of emergency gun ban.
I proposed a new law this session allowing concealed carry on all church property. Please voice your opinion on gun rights in a poll surrounding this issue.
http://www.wwaytv3.com/poll/sen-tho...churches-used-schools-outside-school-hours-wh
Thanks again for your time and support of the Second Amendment. Lawmakers should preserve the right to bear arms when it is threatened and I appreciate your advocacy for individual liberty.
Senator Thom Goolsby
9th District – New Hanover County

Reply from Sen Hunt:
I agree and hope we can move this along. The issue is that the Governor will no doubt veto HB 111 and our having enough votes to over ride her veto. All Republicans are supportive but that is not enough to over ride a veto. It may be that we try it in this short session and then try again next year when we have a new governor more receptive to passage.
Neal Hunt

I have also sent this email tonight to Sen Berger:
Dear Senator Berger,
I find myself frustrated with your apparent lack of commitment to passing HB 111. If you cannot find a way to get this bill to the floor for a vote, please take me off your mailing list as you will have lost my confidence. I hope you choose to follow through on your commitments to the voters.
Respectfully,

cricketdad

I think there is still time to get this bill through, contact the senate!
Wife sent this email to all republican senators, two replys below.

Dear Republican Senators,

House Bill 111 ("Amend Firearms Law") would give restaurant employees and patrons the means to defend themselves against violent thugs, yet Senate Republican leadership is trying to stall the bill to death with unnecessary committee referrals instead of sending it to the floor for a vote.

Media reports indicate that the Finance Committee claims to be too busy working on the budget to consider HB 111, and yet you have had time to pass bills creating official butterflies and "Livermush Festivals". Please adjust your priorities and move HB 111 to the Senate floor. It is sad that I can have personal safety in Virginia restaurants but not in my home state of North Carolina. I will be monitoring this closely, it is personally important to me and my family.

Reply from Sen Goolsby:
Thank you for this contact. I support restaurant carry, the Castle Doctrine and repeal of the state of emergency gun ban.
I proposed a new law this session allowing concealed carry on all church property. Please voice your opinion on gun rights in a poll surrounding this issue.
http://www.wwaytv3.com/poll/sen-tho...churches-used-schools-outside-school-hours-wh
Thanks again for your time and support of the Second Amendment. Lawmakers should preserve the right to bear arms when it is threatened and I appreciate your advocacy for individual liberty.
Senator Thom Goolsby
9th District – New Hanover County

Reply from Sen Hunt:
I agree and hope we can move this along. The issue is that the Governor will no doubt veto HB 111 and our having enough votes to over ride her veto. All Republicans are supportive but that is not enough to over ride a veto. It may be that we try it in this short session and then try again next year when we have a new governor more receptive to passage.
Neal Hunt

I have also sent this email tonight to Sen Berger:
Dear Senator Berger,
I find myself frustrated with your apparent lack of commitment to passing HB 111. If you cannot find a way to get this bill to the floor for a vote, please take me off your mailing list as you will have lost my confidence. I hope you choose to follow through on your commitments to the voters.
Respectfully,

I see the new excuse is the Governor will veto it. Personally I doubt it. She has not proven herself to be anti gun. Since she is not running again, she does not need to fear repercussions

NC-Heel

Blatant lie. Bev is more likely to sign it than the new governor is. Pat McCrory would probably veto this bill in a heartbeat.

chiefjason

Goolsby has a pair to introduce something that chips away at carry restrictions on educational property. THINK OF THE CHEEEEIIILLLLDREEENNNN!!!!!!!

I like it! I know it's going no where this year, but does anyone know the bill number? I've been slacking this session. Crazy busy starting up a side gig making hybrid holsters.