• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question from a Kentucky man

Curtis C

Just read some on the laws of New York, seems kinda complicated to say the least. but a question out of curiosity. How long does it take to purchase a pistol? I have heard it takes 6 months to a year but i thought that sounded kinda silly.

Midwest

Just read some on the laws of New York, seems kinda complicated to say the least. but a question out of curiosity. How long does it take to purchase a pistol? I have heard it takes 6 months to a year but i thought that sounded kinda silly.

Here is a good place to look up these things.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/

There was a recent thread about someone in New York City getting a permit (not a carry permit) in about three months. I have seen posts about it taking anywhere from 2 months to as much as 13 months with no rhyme or reason.

And everything varies from county to county not just with waiting times, but also which counties issue full carry permits. And even then it can vary within the county in some cases depending on the judge.

Curtis C

geeze o' peat, that is a whole lota hassle and money to spend before you even buy a gun, could not imagine. glad i'm in kentucky.

Midwest

But at least it is possible to get carry privileges in most Upstate NY counties. In those counties, a permit also doubles as a carry permit.

In other states like NJ, MD and DC it is practically impossible to get a carry permit and in Illinois it is impossible to obtain a carry permit.

Curtis C

i love kentucky, walk in say i want that one, run a background check in the store, fill out the paper work for the store every thing clears give him the money he gives you the gun out the door you go.

hermannr

NY has two sets of laws when it comes to guns...NYC, and everywhere else. Then, there is "possession", and "have and carry". Two different permits, and two different sets of rules, or not, depending on the county you are in, and/or the judge that approves the permits...at the judges total personal discression. The closer you get to NYC, the harder it becomes to "have and carry".

Then there is a secondary problem...OC or no OC. Your license to carry (the one in your pocket) says "have and carry", and does not address CC or OC. NY state residents assume if you are hunting you can OC, but if you are not hunting you can only CC...this is debateble, but the reason is: The NY Penal Code says "to have and carry concealed", but the license does not have the word "concealed" on it...the physical license only says "have and Carry"

Then you have restrictions where you can carry, or not (ya, I mean public places, like some parks, trails and other places you and I would not even think about. And remember, you even have to have a license to just "possess"..even in your home.

Curtis C

that is interesting, from what i read on the forum in the link above it can be like $200 in fees and what not. and you have to go threw a different process for each permit? even if you go threw all that, there is still a chance you won't be approved for any one is that right? wow

MyWifeSaidYes

So, yeah. You won't find many New Yorkers here, even in this forum reserved just for them. :cry:

Even if carrying was allowed more often, in NYC, Bloomberg would just limit you to single-shot weapons. :D

hermannr

that is interesting, from what i read on the forum in the link above it can be like $200 in fees and what not. and you have to go threw a different process for each permit? even if you go threw all that, there is still a chance you won't be approved for any one is that right? wow

Actually the "possess" permit, everywhere but NYC is not bad cost wise...$10 and about 6 months wait. It is a shall issue permit if you are clean. In NYC that same permit is $375 for the same permit to "possess", and is good for 3 years only. This means in your home and personal property ONLY. (NYC home only) In NYC they don't want any of the poor people to be able to afford to defend themselves. (Think Jim Crow law)

The "have and Carry" license is discressionary, some counties require "training" some don't. Some counties automatically issue unrestricted "have and carry", and other counties only issue restricted (range/hunting etc) "have and carry" licenses, strictly up to the judge's discression. "Have and Carry" licenses also take about 6 months. Most restrictive "have and carry" license is in NYC and it is very expensive...I forgot the exact amount but like $800 for 3 years, and is only issued to those that regularly carry high dollar items, or are politically connected.

NY state constitution does NOT have a 2A equivilent.

Etkini

Actually the "possess" permit, everywhere but NYC is not bad cost wise...$10 and about 6 months wait. It is a shall issue permit if you are clean. In NYC that same permit is $375 for the same permit to "possess", and is good for 3 years only. This means in your home and personal property ONLY. (NYC home only) In NYC they don't want any of the poor people to be able to afford to defend themselves. (Think Jim Crow law)

The "have and Carry" license is discressionary, some counties require "training" some don't. Some counties automatically issue unrestricted "have and carry", and other counties only issue restricted (range/hunting etc) "have and carry" licenses, strictly up to the judge's discression. "Have and Carry" licenses also take about 6 months. Most jrestrictive "have and carry" license is in NYC and it is very expensive...I forgot the exact amount but like $800 for 3 years, and is only issued to those that regularly carry high dollar items, or are politically connected.

NY state constitution does NOT have a 2A equivilent.

Not at all calling you out, but having just moved to Vermont last week from NY (Albany area for the past year, upstate since birth) I decided to chime in. While NY is supposed to be a shall issue, it's a hit or miss. You can be denied for no reason, even if all checks out. I was a county correction officer, had never had even a ticket and got denied my first time, while my coworker got a full carry permit with a misdemeanor on his record. It's also way more than $10 unfortunately, it's robbery.

The pistol permit process is strictly discretionary, and while I can't say anything about NYC's prices, I can tell you each county is different. For Washington county, it costs $10 to pick up the paperwork, $10 to drop it back off and $100 charge for the processing. The paperwork consists of personal and background information, as well as needing three references who are living in the county at least five years, who are not related to you or each other. Each reference must sign off on three pieces of paper, write and mail a character reference, and the county will call them for an interview. They must attest that they think you should own a handgun, and I have heard stories of someone changing their mind about the person (as it could be upwards of six months) and causing them to be denied. You also must have finger prints done on three different sheets. After all this, if you are denied none of the money is refunded. You could apply for a carry permit and be issued a target only permit, it all depends on the judge and his/her mood. Oh, and did I mention you only have 30 days to bring all the paperwork back?

Albany/Watervliet is a whole different beast. The paperwork is able to be printed online for free, the references and such are the same, but you must find a place yourself to do fingerprints, and that could cost between $75-200. Most judges in this area (Schenectady/Albany) do not even consider issuing carry permits until you've had your permit at least a year and have taken multiple classes.

You also must take a NYS handgun class before being able to apply, at your own expense. Buying one is a mess, not to mention having to pay $2-5 each time to have it added to your permit.

Thank god I'm in Vermont now..

EDIT: oh yeah, and they have to be renewed every four years, and are no good for NYC..

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
But at least it is possible to get carry privileges in most Upstate NY counties. In those counties, a permit also doubles as a carry permit.

In other states like NJ, MD and DC it is practically impossible to get a carry permit and in Illinois it is impossible to obtain a carry permit.

It is "impossible" to get a carry permit in D.C. because they don't issue permits. If you live in D.C. you will not take your firearm out of your home except for very and I mean very limited circumstances.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
i love kentucky, walk in say i want that one, run a background check in the store, fill out the paper work for the store every thing clears give him the money he gives you the gun out the door you go.

Don't forget that if you have a CDWL they don't even call in the check; all you do is fill out the 4473, hand them the money and hit the door. I love freedom!