• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My first negative experience OCing

Levi

I had dinner at the Taco Time in Fife this evening. I've carried in here several times and I've never had anything but good experiences with the staff. While I was there I met I cool guy named Eric and we talked for about an hour about all kinds of things. As we were leaving, there was a drunk outside who started yelling at us. Both of us just looked at each other, shook our heads and left.

I walked back to my place and he followed me the whole way hurling insults I would never repeat here. I thought it was really going to get physical when he bumped into me. I had no idea what his issue was. It was like he wanted me to get into a fight with him. Finally, when I was almost to my door, he went into "You really think you're some kind of tough guy with that gun but I know you're really just a *****." Then it clicked. This guy was bothered by my gun.

"That's what this is about?" I asked. "This is about my gun?"

He froze for a moment and I could see his face turn red. Then he got really angry and started cussing at me. I knew I was right. I just told him his mother would be ashamed of his behavior and closed the door on him.

At no time did I truly feel afraid, I was mostly just annoyed. My only concern was that he'd try to get too close to me again and I'd have to subdue him. (He was too drunk to be a real threat in a straight up fight but that didn't mean that he couldn't do something stupid and dangerous.)

Nothing like mixing alcohol with unreasonable fear.

amzbrady

I got me one of those new fangled fancy shmancy electronic gizmos that lets the police know when I'm being harrassed. You hit 3 buttons and the police just automatically show up and remove public nuisances.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I wouldn't count this as a "negative" OC experience. If he was that drunk it could have been the color of your shirt that set him off the deep end. If he "bumped" into me, I might have "applied" some pepper spray. Also I would have made sure he didn't get close enough to me to touch me in any manor. Also I would not have lead him to my home. I know I'm just being an armchair coach, and wasn't there. Just tossing out some thoughts.

acmariner99

If a deranged stranger was following me like that, the last place I would go is to where I live - I would have found a well lit public area, turned on a voice recorder, try to lose the guy, and if that fails call the police.

Jeff Hayes

He bumped you and yelled at you, does that not add up to assault and battery. While I am not big on dialing 911 I may have in this case because the drunk might and there is no telling what he might tell 911 or what he might tell the Cops when they show up as he is leading them to your home.

Good job just letting it go, good job not retaliating verbally and physically.

Us Monday morning QBs will let you know exactly where you were wrong but you were there and did what you thought best at the time. Take all the criticism with a grain of salt we are just trying to help.

decklin

I wouldn't have brought him to my home. If I even think someone is following me in my car I'll just drive right past my street.

Your restraint is phenomenal. I don't know if I could have tolerated being assaulted. This would have been a good time to call the police.

Well that's the end of my Captain Hindsight impression. As Orphan said, we weren't there and you were. This is no different from any other situation where afterwards you say, "oops!" Everybody has been there.

jbone

You showed him where you live?

That was my first thought, but glad to your ok! Hope this drunken bum can't remember where you live that next morning.

Last edited:

Lthrnck

don't go home

I had a guy road rage on me a couple of months ago.

He followed me all over the place... and so I pulled into a parking lot.

The idiot got out and was heading to my car yelling he was going to kick my ass.

About that time a Police Officer came out... and instructed him to calm down.

Yes... I was sitting in the police station.

Levi

I'm currently staying at a hotel in Fife. He's been staying here too. I've seen him around but I've never interacted with him before.

You guys are right, I should have called the cops. Someone looking to pick a fight with a guy obviously wearing a firearm is making bad choices and he might have gone somewhere else and done something else to hurt himself or someone else.:banghead:

As far as him bumping being assault, it was as far as I could tell. I didn't really care as such because it didn't do any harm. I did tell him firmly to back up and not to touch me again. He complied but used it as ammo to spout more insults.

Ah well, live and learn.

Jeff Hayes

I'm currently staying at a hotel in Fife. He's been staying here too. I've seen him around but I've never interacted with him before.

You guys are right, I should have called the cops. Someone looking to pick a fight with a guy obviously wearing a firearm is making bad choices and he might have gone somewhere else and done something else to hurt himself or someone else.:banghead:

As far as him bumping being assault, it was as far as I could tell. I didn't really care as such because it didn't do any harm. I did tell him firmly to back up and not to touch me again. He complied but used it as ammo to spout more insults.

Ah well, live and learn.

Once again good job, we were not there and you did what you needed to do at that time. Stay safe Levi.

sawah

Sometimes the most dangerous people are those who seem to have nothing to lose. The drunk guy could have attacked the OP and if injured, sued him. People do that in some places, try to feign being hit by a car and then suing.

Kids will also do this kind of thing on a dare - jump out into the road and try to impact a person bicycling. If you do anything they start crying wolf. I think the best thing to have done would be to go back into the restaurant and call 911 and complain about this drunk stalking you. It doesn't seem you were running a recorder so you have little evidence of what happened beyond your word.

Difdi

What is it with people who claim to be so threatened by firearms, so afraid you'll use your gun on them, that they feel they have no other option but to do everything in their power to goad you into shooting them?

sudden valley gunner

What is it with people who claim to be so threatened by firearms, so afraid you'll use your gun on them, that they feel they have no other option but to do everything in their power to goad you into shooting them?

People who are anti firearms are not logical to begin with so we can't expect them to be logical when we encounter them.