• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bills of Sale.

Beau

Another thread got me thinking. What is the point of a Bill of Sale? Unless you are running a background check also, why bother?

If conducting a private sale I absolutely refuse to do a b.o.s.. Part of the reason to do a private sale is to avoid a paper trail of who owns what. Most of us are against .gov registration because we follow the logic of "if they know we have it, they can take it away". So why are so many willing to voluntarily put on paper who has what?

mobiushky

Another thread got me thinking. What is the point of a Bill of Sale? Unless you are running a background check also, why bother?

If conducting a private sale I absolutely refuse to do a b.o.s.. Part of the reason to do a private sale is to avoid a paper trail of who owns what. Most of us are against .gov registration because we follow the logic of "if they know we have it, they can take it away". So why are so many willing to voluntarily put on paper who has what?

Not that I'm pro-bill of sale, here's the only thing I thought about. What if the person hands the gun over and you have no proof of the transaction? What if it was used in a crime? What if he claims you stole it? I don't think you have to give a copy to anyone, just your own protection. Stick it in the safe and only pull it out if you get questions. Just my opinion, and I may not even follow my own advice here.

mahkagari

More a CYA thing. If the serial number comes up as stolen at some point (who knows what the previous previous previous owner was up to and it's not as though Big Brother is actually GOOD at these databases they keep), or ballistics match comes up from 10 years ago, you have a dated record of when you took possession and that you purchased it and send the "paper trail" off to someone else (probably a further dead end in the case). You're of course well within your rights to stand up for non-intrusive government by demanding on your word only that you didn't own the weapon 10 years ago and that you yes-indeedyo did pay real honest to goshdarnedness money for it. Really really. :)