• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visiting Idaho...have OC questions...

giaking70

Hello everyone

I will be visiting Idaho end of this month and have questions regarding open carry. I will be visiting from California and as some of you may be aware, it is now illegal to open carry here as of the first of this year. The laws here really suck when it comes to one just trying to be able to protect himself or family. Anyways my google-fu doesnt seem to be working so I want to ask here without having to sift throught pages of stuff to find my answers. Can I open carry in general. What I mean by this is just your everyday carry. I plan to walk around doing your everyday shopping visiting old friends or what have you. I dont plan to open carry in or near any schools if it can be helped not to. I plan to carry on my right hip openly in plain view.

Now my next question is how do LEO's up that way tend to treat everyone who open carrys? How would they treat an out of towner? I have open carried many times here before it was banned and had encounters with the police...some good some bad. Can I open carry loaded or unloaded? Again I am only visiting for a short two weeks and just want some insight but arriving.

Thanks for your time folks and any answers would help.

God bless and carry on...

Tyoung

Carry anywhere you like. If someone asks you to leave their establishment because of it so be it. Aside from schools and federal buildings your good to go.

Always carry loaded. Why in the hell would anyone carry a gun with no ammo in. Talk about putting a target on your back with no way out.

modernknight

So I'm not sure what part of Idaho you're visiting, but Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls are pretty friendly. Haven't even really ran into anyone that had a problem with it, maybe a couple murmurs, and someone asking if I was an off duty LEO, but that's about it. Part of life I'm assuming, lol.

As said, carry loaded. No need for it to be unloaded (just don't shoot yourself :) Seems like quite a few people have in idaho, but they might not be the smartest bunch in the pack either..lol.)

Last edited:

carracer

Most of the shopping malls are no carry. Other than that I echo the other statements for the Treasure Valley area.

If you are in the Boise area end of the month, post and we'll have a Starbucks!

giaking70

Thanks for the responses sure appreciate them. I am gonna be mainly in and around Couer d'Alene and Priest Rivers areas mainly visiting my folks. As for the question as to why anyone would carry their weapon with no ammo in it here when it was legal?...well you would have to ask those folks that call themselves politicians. Hence now why we call it the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

The idea behind unloaded open carry mainly was to act as a deterent from you being a victim of crime. A punk ass wannabee gang banger could be scoping you out as his next target...sees you turn around and ...uh oh...sees your piece on your hip and says to himself...uhh...nope no way. That was prettty much how it was here. Mainly it was just to deter from you becoming a "statistic". I happen to be in a convenient store one night nearby where I lived at that time. Well, that particular night I was talking to the clerk about crap I cant remember now but some black guy walzt in with hoodie on and sunglasses...at 1am. Well the stupid idiot just wasnt paying attention and was looking down and reached in and pulled out a small handgun. But as he finally looked up to see me standing there with my .1911 strapped to my right hip...he had a look of utter confunsion and had the "what the ****" look on his face...he turned right around and bolted out the door.

I told the clerk to call 911 and when the police showed up...20 minutes later...they had the actual nerves to try and take me into custody just cause I was open carrying and not realizing that cause I was there, I possibly prevented that clerk from serious bodily injury and possibly death. Not to say that I was stupid to hang around but I wanted to make sure the clerk was gonna be safe until the cops showed up and to do my good deed and be a good witness to a crime.

Anyways most if not all LEO here were really against open carry and alot of people were subjected to being blackholed. One guy was doing a live tv interview when "man with a gun" call went out and they sowed up and I kid you not... drawing their AR's. Well its now illegal and the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia is not a "Shall issue" state when it comes to issuing CCW's. One day I will move away from here.

Just wanted to give you a little insight to what most of us has had to deal with here. I am all for Starbucks when I get there but will not have readily vehicle as driving with my brother. Will let you guys know when I get there would gladly share some war stories. Thanks again...