• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dan Nicholas Park, Rowan County Parks and Recreation

REDFIVE48

I am camping there this weekend and when I looked over my camping packet, I noticed it said firearms are prohibited. With passage of HB650, is that prohibition null and void in the campground? Is there any way for it to be enforceable since we have to pay for our camp site (can this be considered admission)?

Thanks for any help

Captain Spankz

Is there a shooting range there, if so I'd just tell any cops it's for there. Nah seriously though I'd just call the place you pay at for the camping spot because they should know/be able to tell you specifically. Even if it's not legal to open carry or CC around the park I'd keep one in the truck personally. Too many sketchy people out there along with plentiful amount of thieves.

Just my idea/opinions so no responses on morals or always obeying laws no matter what please! :)

Last edited:

cap-n-ball

This law was passed a few months ago by the county commisioners and pertains to all parks in Rowan County. IIRC if you happen to get caught with a firearm in your possesion at any of the parks in Rowan it will be classified as a misdeamenor and you could lose your firearm(s) that you happen to have with you at the time. The county feels that the Sheriffs Department does sufficent patrols of the area that no one should have to arm themselves.

papa bear

first off it is unclear weather or not this is a state or municipal park. which by any rate would classify as a park and not a playground or athletic facility. if Rowan county has passed such an ordinance it is against HB 650. i will contact them and find out if this is just out dated information.

"§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.buildings and their appurtenant premises. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to prohibit, by posting, the carrying of a concealed handgun on municipal and county recreational facilities that are specifically identified by the unit of local government. If a unit of local government adopts such an ordinance with regard to recreational facilities, then the concealed handgun permittee may, nevertheless, secure the handgun in a locked vehicle within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within or on the motor vehicle. For purposes of this section, the term "recreational facilities" includes only the following: a playground, an athletic field, a swimming pool, and an athletic facility."

REDFIVE48

Thanks Papa Bear, it was on all their paperwork they sent out to campers, and at the entrance to the park, it there is a large sign saying no Firearms. I to believe they are in violation of state law, but wasn't sure the best way to handle communication with them about it.

Please let us know what they say.

REDFIVE48

This law was passed a few months ago by the county commisioners and pertains to all parks in Rowan County. IIRC if you happen to get caught with a firearm in your possesion at any of the parks in Rowan it will be classified as a misdeamenor and you could lose your firearm(s) that you happen to have with you at the time. The county feels that the Sheriffs Department does sufficent patrols of the area that no one should have to arm themselves.

Didn't see any sort of police presence in the park during the 24 hours I was there, think that the county commissioners have overstepped if they passed this after HB650 went into effect.

Adam H

I noticed that sign the other day when I was up there. I didn't want to take a chance of printing, so I took full advantage of the portion of the law that allows you to leave it locked in your vehicle.

On a similar note, most of the parks in Cabarrus county are still posted. I don't think Cabarrus county has even changed their ordinance since this bill passed. It's funny, Cabarrus county will allow you to carry on some parts of its property, but not parks. Concord does allow you to carry concealed but they did ban firearms in the the areas the law allows.