Thread: kentucky firearm transfer

kentucky firearm transfer

recently my aunt purchased a pistol from a licensed dealer here in kentucky. she has come into some circumstances that make it no longer possible for her to keep it and she would like to transfer it over to me. i am of legal age and in no way not permitted to own a firearm. how would we legally go about getting the registration transferred into my name to wear i can legally possess and carry the pistol?

She takes the firearm in question, hands it to you (or some action similar), and says "This is now yours" (or some similar words).

Few firearms (machine guns, SBRs, SBS) are registered in Kentucky.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

Activist Member
    Just as Isaac said. The only firearms that are registered in this state are NFA firearms; even then, these firearms are registered with the federal government, and not the state of Ky.

Most newbies believe when you buy a new firearm from an FFL that they are registering the firearm with the paperwork (form 4473) that you fill out at the time of sale, and that they call in. This is not true. The paperwork is used to call in a background check on the buyer, and then it sets in the dealers possession for the next 20 years, or until they go out of business. The firearm is not "registered" to your aunt unless it is a pre-'86 full automatic, a short barreled rifle or shotgun, a suppressor (aka silencer), or an AOW such as a smooth bore shotgun with a barrel under 18". Being as it is just a regular handgun, tell her to hand it to you and that is it. Check out KRS 237.020 and 527.100.

Edit: I neary forgot, she can only sale the handgun to you as long as both of you are a resident of the same state. I see you are from Ky, so as long as she is also from Ky, then you are good to go. If she is from another state then it is a violation of federal law to conduct a private transfer.
    Last edited by KYGlockster; 06-07-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 09jisaac View Post
    She takes the firearm in question, hands it to you (or some action similar), and says "This is now yours" (or some similar words).

Few firearms (machine guns, SBRs, SBS) are registered in Kentucky.
    These damn Ky transfer laws are to complicated to understand... Wish it was as easy as just handing it over.. WAIT, it is that easy...... but seriously, like 09jisaac mentioned that really is all there is to it.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

thanks for the help guys. none of yall would happen to know the law or regulation on open carry in military uniform would you? kentucky national guard to be specific.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDodge View Post
    thanks for the help guys. none of yall would happen to know the law or regulation on open carry in military uniform would you? kentucky national guard to be specific.
    Non-combat, stateside I would presume. Think that is a question best put to your CO, but can't imagine that you would be authorized/allowed to carry a personal gun in uniform.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

correct. actually just got back from basic and ait. while at rsp one of my sergeants mentioned something about us being allowed to carry a firearm in uniform but that's the limit of what i've heard and i've been trying to find a regulation on it since i got back.

That is a military thing. I do not believe Kentucky has a statute forbidding it.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

That is a military thing. I do not believe Kentucky has a statute forbidding it.
    With it being kentucky national guard it would be a state thing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ps1mhd View Post

Mike
    This Guide is designed to be a “ready reference” that provides supervisors and managers with advice and basic guidance on matters relating to human resources management within the Active Guard / Reserve (AGR) program of the Kentucky National Guard. Although the contents are not regulatory in nature, the guidance has been drafted based on Army, Air, and Federal statutes and regulations, as well as DoD and National Guard Bureau policy.
    http://www.dma.ky.gov/NR/.../0/KY_AG...k_OCT_2008.doc
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Mike
    Still a military thing. Just because it is the Kentucky National Guard doesn't mean they don't have a subset of rules/laws. I am pretty sure they DO have more regulations than the average citizen.

Like I said before, I haven't found any KRS statutes to limit this. It is a military thing, check their rules/regulations.

Huzzah something I know for once. Dodge you cannot carry in uniform. You can in civvies but not on base. Going to try and join up myself soon so I've been researching anything and everything I can.
    "I couldn't decide if this was a resume, an online dating form, or just an introduction on a gun forum." flb_78

Activist Member
    That would be regulated by the DoD or the army I would assume. Ever since the states lost almost all control over their own guard units, the federal government would make the regs. on those issues.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

That is right Glock, its in the rule books for how a soldier can conduct themselves. Do note the only way you can carry on base stateside is if your MOS involves it. MP for example.
    "I couldn't decide if this was a resume, an online dating form, or just an introduction on a gun forum." flb_78

Mike
    What I was trying to say is it would be up to the Ky state national guard which may default to the DOD regs.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Ummmmm.......

That certainly settles the question!
    Don't shoot the messenger

I didn't feel like starting a new thread and considering it is dealing with a Kentucky firearm transfer I figured I'd ask here. What's a fair price range for a used SKS? Someone offered to sell me one for $275 and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was tempted to buy it. I checked around online for prices and they were upwards of that, but you know how online pricing can be sometimes. So I'm putting it out to the knowledgeable and trustworthy group here to let me know if it's a fair price or not.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

If I remember right, I think the cheapest ones I've seen at a gun show were about $300. I think the chinese ones tend to be cheaper than the russians.

I wouldn't say it was a bad price, but you can find them for a bit cheaper if you're looking for them. I think that 275 for a good, used SKS is reasonable.

I wouldn't say it was a bad price, but you can find them for a bit cheaper if you're looking for them. I think that 275 for a good, used SKS is reasonable.
    Aren't they all "used"? I'm not aware of anyone still manufacturing the SKS and if there were, I couldn't imagine why.

We are straying considerably off-topic.

Back in 2002 a Yugo SKS was selling for $99 at Centerfire Systems in Versailles KY.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Aren't they all "used"? I'm not aware of anyone still manufacturing the SKS and if there were, I couldn't imagine why.

We are straying considerably off-topic.
    You can find new old stock.

You can find new old stock.
    Am amazed that unissued is available - shouldn't this be "old new stock" though.