• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

kentucky firearm transfer

TheDodge

recently my aunt purchased a pistol from a licensed dealer here in kentucky. she has come into some circumstances that make it no longer possible for her to keep it and she would like to transfer it over to me. i am of legal age and in no way not permitted to own a firearm. how would we legally go about getting the registration transferred into my name to wear i can legally possess and carry the pistol?

09jisaac

She takes the firearm in question, hands it to you (or some action similar), and says "This is now yours" (or some similar words).

Few firearms (machine guns, SBRs, SBS) are registered in Kentucky.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Just as Isaac said. The only firearms that are registered in this state are NFA firearms; even then, these firearms are registered with the federal government, and not the state of Ky.

Most newbies believe when you buy a new firearm from an FFL that they are registering the firearm with the paperwork (form 4473) that you fill out at the time of sale, and that they call in. This is not true. The paperwork is used to call in a background check on the buyer, and then it sets in the dealers possession for the next 20 years, or until they go out of business. The firearm is not "registered" to your aunt unless it is a pre-'86 full automatic, a short barreled rifle or shotgun, a suppressor (aka silencer), or an AOW such as a smooth bore shotgun with a barrel under 18". Being as it is just a regular handgun, tell her to hand it to you and that is it. Check out KRS 237.020 and 527.100.

Edit: I neary forgot, she can only sale the handgun to you as long as both of you are a resident of the same state. I see you are from Ky, so as long as she is also from Ky, then you are good to go. If she is from another state then it is a violation of federal law to conduct a private transfer.

Last edited:

self preservation

She takes the firearm in question, hands it to you (or some action similar), and says "This is now yours" (or some similar words).

Few firearms (machine guns, SBRs, SBS) are registered in Kentucky.

These damn Ky transfer laws are to complicated to understand... Wish it was as easy as just handing it over.. WAIT, it is that easy...... but seriously, like 09jisaac mentioned that really is all there is to it.

TheDodge

thanks for the help guys. none of yall would happen to know the law or regulation on open carry in military uniform would you? kentucky national guard to be specific.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
thanks for the help guys. none of yall would happen to know the law or regulation on open carry in military uniform would you? kentucky national guard to be specific.
Non-combat, stateside I would presume. Think that is a question best put to your CO, but can't imagine that you would be authorized/allowed to carry a personal gun in uniform.

TheDodge

correct. actually just got back from basic and ait. while at rsp one of my sergeants mentioned something about us being allowed to carry a firearm in uniform but that's the limit of what i've heard and i've been trying to find a regulation on it since i got back.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With it being kentucky national guard it would be a state thing.

Mike

This Guide is designed to be a “ready reference” that provides supervisors and managers with advice and basic guidance on matters relating to human resources management within the Active Guard / Reserve (AGR) program of the Kentucky National Guard. Although the contents are not regulatory in nature, the guidance has been drafted based on Army, Air, and Federal statutes and regulations, as well as DoD and National Guard Bureau policy.
www.dma.ky.gov/NR/.../0/KY_AGR_Handbook_OCT_2008.doc

09jisaac

With it being kentucky national guard it would be a state thing.

Mike

Still a military thing. Just because it is the Kentucky National Guard doesn't mean they don't have a subset of rules/laws. I am pretty sure they DO have more regulations than the average citizen.

Like I said before, I haven't found any KRS statutes to limit this. It is a military thing, check their rules/regulations.

Acuzio

Huzzah something I know for once. Dodge you cannot carry in uniform. You can in civvies but not on base. :D Going to try and join up myself soon so I've been researching anything and everything I can.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
That would be regulated by the DoD or the army I would assume. Ever since the states lost almost all control over their own guard units, the federal government would make the regs. on those issues.

Acuzio

That is right Glock, its in the rule books for how a soldier can conduct themselves. Do note the only way you can carry on base stateside is if your MOS involves it. MP for example.

CharleyCherokee

I didn't feel like starting a new thread and considering it is dealing with a Kentucky firearm transfer I figured I'd ask here. :D What's a fair price range for a used SKS? Someone offered to sell me one for $275 and I'd be lying if I didn't say I was tempted to buy it. I checked around online for prices and they were upwards of that, but you know how online pricing can be sometimes. So I'm putting it out to the knowledgeable and trustworthy group here to let me know if it's a fair price or not.

langzaiguy

If I remember right, I think the cheapest ones I've seen at a gun show were about $300. I think the chinese ones tend to be cheaper than the russians.

09jisaac

I wouldn't say it was a bad price, but you can find them for a bit cheaper if you're looking for them. I think that 275 for a good, used SKS is reasonable.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wouldn't say it was a bad price, but you can find them for a bit cheaper if you're looking for them. I think that 275 for a good, used SKS is reasonable.

Aren't they all "used"? I'm not aware of anyone still manufacturing the SKS and if there were, I couldn't imagine why.

We are straying considerably off-topic.