• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meetup at Fryeburg?

MainelyGlock

Just seeing if anyone would be interested in meeting up for a day of shooting at Fryeburg Fish and Game, or another place that I don't know of? I personally wouldn't be able to for a few weeks because of money (trying to get my savings back to where it should be), but I'm very much interested in meeting some of you guys who are local.

Haoleb

I was just at the fryeburg range yesterday for the first time, Thanks to members of this forum for helping me find a place to shoot via google searches! I showed up shortly after 9am so luckily there was nobody else there, which judging by the trash and shells everywhere was a good thing. They are having a cleanup by some boyscout troop today however so maybe its not always so bad. I brought a trash bag to clean up my own targets and casings but only ended up making a very small dent in the garbage by the time it was full. A couple other guys showed up later on that I guess also had never been there before because they were asking how long the ranges were and were also surprised to see the debris.

I wanted to post some photos of the range and some more detail about it because I have been searching online for info about local free ranges to go to and information is so hard to come across! Here is a link to the website for the Fryeburg fish and game: http://www.fryeburgfishandgame.com/

The range hours are 9am to dusk, daily.

Three ranges are available, a trap range, a rifle range (100yd) that has a covered shooting area for 4 people (and holes shot into the metal roof.. yikes.. :eek:) and a 50yd pistol range suitable for one shooter. Or at least there is only one bench. I started out on the pistol range to try out my new 1911 but since nobody else was there yet I went to the rifle range because the bugs weren't as bad. (Bring Bugspray!!!) All of the ranges are seperated, however I would feed uncomfortable going down the rifle range if someone was shooting at the pistol range because the berm seperating them does not go the full length.

There is also boat access just down the road to the pond. Would be great to bring some kayaks and do some boating and shooting in the same trip. Here's a few photo's of the range

range.jpg

Pistol Range

pistol1.jpg

Pistol Range

pistol2.jpg

rifle1.jpg

rifle2.jpg

Maine CWP Training

Local Scout Troop was there at the crack of 9 today cleaning up as a community service project. Too bad adults can't pick up after themselves. I picked up the trash of the tipped over barrel shown in your photos this morning before the scouts arrived.

MainelyGlock

Thanks for the info and pictures! I've only been there twice, both in the winter though. Minus the trash, it looks much nicer with all of the greenery. It was a mess when I went also. I made sure to pick up my casings and targets, though. Very disrespectful to just leave your trash there.

boyscout399

Is this a free range, or do you need to be a member to shoot there? It sounds like it's a free range. Bummer about the trash, but that's usually what happens when it's free to shoot there, people don't take care of their own stuff.

MainelyGlock

Is this a free range, or do you need to be a member to shoot there? It sounds like it's a free range. Bummer about the trash, but that's usually what happens when it's free to shoot there, people don't take care of their own stuff.

Yessir, it is a free range. A very decent one, too. The [paid] one I went to in Madison, NH, last week was a DUMP!

Haoleb

There is also a "new" or so I am told indoor range in Poland at a place called Top gun of maine/poland spring trading post. it is $16/hr or $8/hr if you are member (not sure what it takes to be a member). Could be another good option for those of us closer to portland to go shoot. I live in yarmouth, not too thrilled about paying 16 bucks to go shoot somewhere for an hour but the fryeburg range is over an hour from me. The worst part for me is that there are perfectly suitable sand pits within 5 minutes of me in nearly every direction. talking a land owner into letting me on their property is another story. I havent tried yet but in todays world of everyone being afraid of getting sued etc.. i can imagine the chances are pretty slim.

MainelyGlock

There is also a "new" or so I am told indoor range in Poland at a place called Top gun of maine/poland spring trading post. it is $16/hr or $8/hr if you are member (not sure what it takes to be a member). Could be another good option for those of us closer to portland to go shoot. I live in yarmouth, not too thrilled about paying 16 bucks to go shoot somewhere for an hour but the fryeburg range is over an hour from me. The worst part for me is that there are perfectly suitable sand pits within 5 minutes of me in nearly every direction. talking a land owner into letting me on their property is another story. I havent tried yet but in todays world of everyone being afraid of getting sued etc.. i can imagine the chances are pretty slim.

Yes! They are the only indoor range I believe. I've been there a few times, and it's never had anyone else in the range besides who I brought. The price IS kind of steep, but I will be buying a membership once the money is there. They are all incredibly friendly and gave both me and my father a huge discount because he is active Navy. I'll probably go back once they offer gun rentals (full auto, anyone?) I would not mind going there either, but either way I will be making a trip to Fryeburg in the near future because the range in Poland does not allow shotguns. Finding an abandoned pit close to Portland would be awesome! I've heard there's one on Middle Road in Standish, but I've never been there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boyscout399

I'm a member at North Berwick. There's an indoor range there, but it's not always open and they require that you use frangible ammo.

Haoleb

Anyone know if there are any events or the like going on this weekend at the range? I was going to go this morning with my girlfriend and her parents and show up early so we could have the pistol range to ourselves but I forgot about the cleanup every 1st wednesday. Going to try to go saturday or sunday now. Also- this is probably a good question for Paul, what are the rules here about checking your targets on the rifle or pistol range? I know they are kind of seperate but then again, kind of not... Are you supposed to call a cease fire to people on the other range to go downrange?

Maine CWP Training

I always politely tell other shooters I'm going down range and would appreciate it if they would unload and do not handle firearms until I give the green light.

MainelyGlock

Anyone know if there are any events or the like going on this weekend at the range? I was going to go this morning with my girlfriend and her parents and show up early so we could have the pistol range to ourselves but I forgot about the cleanup every 1st wednesday. Going to try to go saturday or sunday now. Also- this is probably a good question for Paul, what are the rules here about checking your targets on the rifle or pistol range? I know they are kind of seperate but then again, kind of not... Are you supposed to call a cease fire to people on the other range to go downrange?

You can check out their website for events, too. Last time I looked it was up to date.

The last time I went, there was only a father and son sharing the pistol range with me. We shot pretty much at the same times and waited for the other to finish before grabbing our targets. Love the atmosphere there.