• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fobus fix if you have issues with retention / blackhawk serpa purchase

kywildcat581

Recently got a Fobus Paddle Holster, thought this was the bread for my butter... boy was I wrong.

This was the 9mm/40 SIGMA version of the paddle line with a retention adjustment screw on it. I noticed the retention was really not that great so I tightened it, it would stay tight for about 3 pulls then go loose, which made me tighten it more. This ended up happening more than once, and the bolt literally ripped trough the plastic and came out. I added a regular bolt with washers through the holes to make a repair to it, and now it has excellent retention. I write this in case someone out there is having retention issues with the FOBUS paddle holster line. If i owned another FOBUS I would puposely remove the screw that comes with it and insert an actual nut/bolt/washer combo to it to really give a sure adjustment. I wish they would have done that at the fatory instead of having us screw a metal screw into a nut sitting in plastic. Not reliable.

Prior to fixing the FOBUS I went and purchased a Blackhawk SERPA for the SIGMA. I think so far this is the bright light at the end of my tunnel and the most effective, comfortable, light, and well built holster I have as of right now. This thing is great.

Just giving a quick review of these two holsters since when I was looking for them those seemed to be the salesmans main two recommentdations, maybe this short review will assist someone with a troubled FOBUS, or to purchase a Serpa... either way...

GreatDaneMan

What irritates me is blackhawk has no plans to make anymore taurus holsters. I cant even get one for my ever popular PT92/99. Similar to the beretta. Trying to track down an IMI/Itac button holster with belt adapter but I do not feel like paying 55 bucks for it...used to be able to get em for like 35.

I dont like my Fobus either. Every time I sit down I freak out wondering if its going to pop out. almost had it fall in bleachers...caught it with shoulder. so i dont use it hardly at all. Nobody makes any good OC holsters for any of my guns...unless I want to do the VA tuck with no retention.

PT145 and PT99.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
What irritates me is blackhawk has no plans to make anymore taurus holsters. I cant even get one for my ever popular PT92/99. Similar to the beretta. Trying to track down an IMI/Itac button holster with belt adapter but I do not feel like paying 55 bucks for it...used to be able to get em for like 35.

Yup. That, and certain safety issues are why I won't use them any more.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2

jeeper1

What irritates me is blackhawk has no plans to make anymore taurus holsters. I cant even get one for my ever popular PT92/99. Similar to the beretta.
There are 2 ways to cover that situation. Modify the Serpa holster or modify the gun.
I have both a Beretta 92 and a Taurus pt99af. The difference between the two pistols is the point on the trigger guard. Either cut a small clearance hole in the holster or file off the point on the trigger guard until it latches into the holster.

GONZO!!!

Not to flame another discussion here but the "Serpa Safety Issues" are becoming more internet hysteria chaos than the actual issue. But frst let me state my case....I am ONLY speaking of issues with the Serpa and a 1911 pistol. Which is about 98% of the internet hysteria involving these holsters. Recently my local IDPA gun club was posting messages on their Yahoo chat group about thinking of banning the serpa from their club and competitions...even though every major shootng sport approves them. The issue? Supposedly people haveing "Accidental Discharges" (AD). I put those in quotes because if youhave a 1911, you DO NOT have an accidental discharge (AD) you have a "NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE" (ND).

This is all stems form lack of training and operator error. PERIOD. Most of the postings on internet boards read..."Well there was this guy at a range in my state..." "Some guy in Florida ..." Etc., etc....people posting and re-posting misinformation as if they have actual living first hand knowledge of the events. Created mass hysteria that all of a sudden gun clubs want to BAN this holster. People tlaking about instructors at major gunsites BANNING this holster....but no real information coming from the COO of these major schools.

Again, let me back up....I am only going to refer to this within the context of the 1911.

People were emailing and posting a link to a guy named Bubba" from Texas who has a video of himself on Youtube showing him drawing his 1911 and shooting himself in the leg. IMMEDIATELY people began using this as proof of the failure of the holster. WRONG WRONG WRONG! This is a training issue! PERIOD. First off, had they watched the entire video and not the shortened edited version they would have seen the guy state plainly into the camera that it was his fault and not the gun nor the holster.

a 1911 has 3 basic safeties....1) the grip safety....2) the external thumb slide safety....3) the "keep your d**n finger off of the trigger safety"

All 3 of these MUST be depressed and or activated in order for the 1911 to fire. PERIOD.

If you watch the youtube video that I mentioned above, the guy clears his holster before he has a ND. A nano-second before the gun fires you will actually see his finger slip inside the trigger guard. I know, I know, that the point everyone is trying to make that the holster requries you to put pressure on the button and as you draw the continued pressure forces your finger to fall inside the trigger guard...

STOP! WAIT! why did that 1911 fire even though he had his finger on the trigger? Because he depressed the last safety left...the external thumb safety BEFORE he drew his pistol...this is not fault of the Serpa...this is fault of the operator. Plain and simple. Had this same guy done that exact same thing with a shoulder holster, he would have shot himself in the chest or the person behind him! Thsi was clearly HIS ERROR not the holster.

I have been shooting 1911s since 1980...it is the only pistol of choice for me. I carry one daily. I have never ever had a ND. I have used it as a personal carry...used it in the early days of USPSA/IPSC sitting in a low cut, low slung Ernie Hill Speed Leather....shoulder holsters, small of the back holsters, appendix carry and now that I have returned to IDPA/USPSA, I purchased a Serpa and have never experienced an ND...why? TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.

if the "safety issue" of the Serpa is a concern but you find you have to have that holster or use that holster, you can make a modification..take a dremel tool and inside the holster, slightly grind down the small knob that clicks into the trigger guard. The holster is deep enough to retain the pistol while doing normal activities. And since it is a "permanent" mod, IDPA will allow it.

Seriously though...the safety issue of the Serpa has been blown WAAAAY out of proportion and become internet mass hysteria. It is a fine holster but like anything else it is about TRAINING TRAINING TRAINING.

GONZO!!!

kywildcat581

The only issue I have with the serpa is the same issue with all paddle holsters, I have boney hips and they seem to be a bit uncomfortable for me. But I am going to try the belt loop adapter tomorrow and see how it feels. I have been gun shy about belt holsters since my cloth blackhawk holster. It was really loose fit, but the cloth one only had one loop for the belt to go through. Hopefully the serpa adapter will fix the flemsy feel with the two loops spread out. I will probably still keep my FOBUS around for when I do want a paddle holster now that I have fixed the retension with an actual nut bolt and washer.. the retention is insane. Almost too much. Primarily though, the SERPA will be on my side both OC and CC.

I found that if I put a small rag in my waistband to pad the hip, its VERY comfortable. So once again, nice work blackhawk with that Serpa line.

On the 1911 note, I agree with you, its a training issue with the person, not the holster, thank god on this case the bullet would likely hit the ground and not the kid behind the person.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The guy in the video is Tex Grebner. And really, I never heard of him before his little faux pas. I have to wonder though, if that accident happened with a 1911 and all it's safeties, what happens with a Glock, and it's dearth of safeties?

For now though, my major complaint, my RIA 1911 won't fit. My previous one did, but not my current one.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The only issue I have with the serpa is the same issue with all paddle holsters, I have boney hips and they seem to be a bit uncomfortable for me. But I am going to try the belt loop adapter tomorrow and see how it feels. I have been gun shy about belt holsters since my cloth blackhawk holster. It was really loose fit, but the cloth one only had one loop for the belt to go through. Hopefully the serpa adapter will fix the flemsy feel with the two loops spread out. I will probably still keep my FOBUS around for when I do want a paddle holster now that I have fixed the retension with an actual nut bolt and washer.. the retention is insane. Almost too much. Primarily though, the SERPA will be on my side both OC and CC.

I found that if I put a small rag in my waistband to pad the hip, its VERY comfortable. So once again, nice work blackhawk with that Serpa line.

On the 1911 note, I agree with you, its a training issue with the person, not the holster, thank god on this case the bullet would likely hit the ground and not the kid behind the person.

It hit the shooter's leg.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Oh yeah, I found out, the military won't use the SERPA as they discovered the safety lock can bind up with just a little bit of sand, and not release the pistol. Or was it one grain of sand? Whichever it was, I don't think I'd like that. Would you?

Also, FLETC has apparently banned the use of the SERPA, due to both LEO and civilian "accidents." And apparently, not all of these happened with 1911 type pistols, either.

You know, holsters are a personal choice. If you like what you have, go with it. But be aware of it's weaknesses, as well as it's strengths.

Tacitus42

Oh yeah, I found out, the military won't use the SERPA as they discovered the safety lock can bind up with just a little bit of sand, and not release the pistol. Or was it one grain of sand? Whichever it was, I don't think I'd like that. Would you?

Also, FLETC has apparently banned the use of the SERPA, due to both LEO and civilian "accidents." And apparently, not all of these happened with 1911 type pistols, either.

You know, holsters are a personal choice. If you like what you have, go with it. But be aware of it's weaknesses, as well as it's strengths.

Wrong Again. USMC is replacing their nylons for the Blackhawk Level 2 tactical holster, http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/09/28/usmc-adopts-the-controversial-blackhawk-serpa-holster/

DeltaOps

BlackHawk holsters are to blame.................. That is a crock, sorry but I have to put my 4 cents in. (inflation).. My first holster was a Blackhawk CQC for my Glock 21. Each and everytime I slide my glock out, my trigger finger is on the frame. I have never ever, EVER once slid my glock out and my finger was on the trigger. Its not the holster, it is the individual using them. The holster did not pull the trigger, the individual did. Muscle Memory works great if you always practice gun safety on a day to day basis. Blackhawk holsters do not pull the trigger just like guns do not kill people. People kill people.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
BlackHawk holsters are to blame.................. That is a crock, sorry but I have to put my 4 cents in. (inflation).. My first holster was a Blackhawk CQC for my Glock 21. Each and everytime I slide my glock out, my trigger finger is on the frame. I have never ever, EVER once slid my glock out and my finger was on the trigger. Its not the holster, it is the individual using them. The holster did not pull the trigger, the individual did. Muscle Memory works great if you always practice gun safety on a day to day basis. Blackhawk holsters do not pull the trigger just like guns do not kill people. People kill people.
I don't think I've ever seen the Blackhawk pull a trigger. I have seen Tex Grebner's video of him shooting himself. And I believe even he put the blame on himself for that one. Personally, I just find the whole trigger finger release, less than intuitive. When I first started working as armed security, most of the holsters I used had thumb snap type releases. I've generally found thumb release mechanisms to be more natural feeling.

But as I said in a previous post, in the end, holsters are a personal choice. What works for me, may not work for you, and vice-versal.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
One other thing, what might work in civilian use, doesn't necessarily work in military or police use. The military for instance, has a habit of really putting things through the wringer.

As far as the SERPA, I've practiced with mine, quite a bit. My thoughts are, if you've not, you're using the wrong holster.