• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stafford Co - No shoot zones could see changes

Blk97F150

No shoot zones could see changes

Supervisor Gary Snellings says his neighbors in the rural Hartwood District have set up “shooting ranges” all around his house. There’s one in front, and on each side. And on weekends, the noise is particularly noticeable.

“To say the least, it’s very annoying, there’s no question about that,” Snellings said. “Especially on Sunday afternoon, when all three of them are going at the same time, I feel like I’m in a war zone.”

But he says he’s most concerned about safety. “I don’t believe that most of these folks really understand what’s around them. They know they’ve got 3 acres, or they’ve got 5 acres, but in many cases, they don’t have a berm set up, they’re just shooting at a target. And if they miss the target, that bullet can … just keep going.”

More: http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/staffordnews/2012/06/07/no-shoot-zones-could-see-changes/

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If he's right about the lack of berms then he has a right to be concerned. Not, IMHO, a "right" to use his public position of trust to force them to give up shooting -- not even to force them to build berms!

A friendly conversation about safety concerns and noise control would have been more appropriate. But I guess it is a shame to let a position of power go to waste. (I wonder, isn't using a public office for private purposes against the law? My Google-fu is weak this AM - I can't find it.

stay safe.