• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need an FFL

NoTolerance

With the boom in gun purchases, supply and demand is in full swing. Seems like all the FFLs are jacking prices up for transfers.

Can anyone recommend an FFL in the greater Milwaukee area that still has reasonable prices? The guy I normally use just jacked up his fees, too.

On a side note....

While searching the interwebs for local FFLs, I noticed a few of them tack on an additional fee if your firearm doesn't include a gun/trigger lock. What's up with that??

MKEgal

NoTolerance said:
Can anyone recommend an FFL in the greater Milwaukee area that still has reasonable prices?
I used gunbroker.com to find Kevin Wadhams in 'Tosa. 651-4570
He might not have updated his prices there recently, but last I checked he was still the best value in the area.
And to make the deal even sweeter, you can have breakfast / lunch / ice cream while you do paperwork, since he's based out of his diner. :D :exclaim:
Sit on the stools & spin around. You know you want to. :lol:

While searching the interwebs for local FFLs, I noticed a few of them tack on an additional fee if your firearm doesn't include a gun/trigger lock. What's up with that??
I think (and I admit I may be wrong on this) it's some federal requirement.
All the firearms I've bought (which, sadly, were lost in a tragic kayaking accident on Lake Michigan... or stolen by Milwaukee PD) whether new or used came with trigger locks, usually the stupid mini-cable lock variety that can be picked in under 30sec if you know what you're doing.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Child Safety Lock Act of 2005

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2006/04/042106-openletter-ffl-child-safety-locks.html

18 USC 922(z) Secure Gun Storage or Safety Device. -
(1) In general. - Except as provided under paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun.
======================================================================
Living rent free in their owne heads. "The Quixotes of this Age fight with the Wind-mills of their owne Heads." John Cleveland, The character of a London diurnall, 1644

xenophon

You could also try the FFL locator at Buds Guns.....

And if you buy from Buds, they will ship to K Wadhams place in 'Tosa that MKEGAL mentioned, since they are a preferred FFL. Simply purchase the gun online there, select that FFL, and you just go in and fill out the paperwork/fee once it arrives. +1 from me.

NoTolerance

The last time we used K Wadhams, we found him to be less than reliable (he blew off our appointment, and those of a few others that same day). Maybe that was an anomaly and I should try again.

Law abider

With the boom in gun purchases, supply and demand is in full swing. Seems like all the FFLs are jacking prices up for transfers.

Can anyone recommend an FFL in the greater Milwaukee area that still has reasonable prices? The guy I normally use just jacked up his fees, too.

On a side note....

I remember the 1980s or so star treck movie when Kirk Spock and Sulu return to earth and the US (back in time?) to collect a few whales to take back to the future. Before they left the ship, Kirk reminded them that " this is a paranoid society." So it is regulations ad nauseum ad infinitum, anything to get you to feel more burdened to carry your gun and charge you more.

berettabone

Banned
My FFL charges $40..........$13 of that goes to the state for the backround check....he has overhead, fax costs, phone costs, and, is putting his @ss on the line, to accept firearms for someone else.....I don't think that it's so bad, really....

NoTolerance

My FFL charges $40..........$13 of that goes to the state for the backround check....he has overhead, fax costs, phone costs, and, is putting his @ss on the line, to accept firearms for someone else.....I don't think that it's so bad, really....

It's really not. Especially when compared to some of the local shops that are charging $75+ for the same service. But every dollar counts, you know? My guy was at $40 and bumped it up to $45 recently. 12.5% is not an egregious increase, but if I can get it done cheaper and as conveniently, I will.

berettabone

Banned
I guess, with me, convenience trumps costs.....I like his setup, I feel safe and comfortable, know the area...and he deals with plenty of police, FBI, and others, retired from those professions......I like people that are on the up and up.....

TaurusToter

Campaign Veteran
From what I've heard, you need a storefront for your own peace of mind when it comes to compliance. With an FFL, you have to maintain control of the inventory and who has access. Gets real hard when its in your home, especially if kids live there or you're married.

Just what I've been told. Haven't looked into it personally.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2