Thread: Recording of police encounters - technical suggestions?

Recording of police encounters - technical suggestions?

There seem to be several ways to go about this: camcorder, digital voice recorder, smartphone camcorder, smartphone apps that auto-upload to a website...

What are the most reliable and easy-to-use methods? A lot of apps specifically designed for this seem to be a little buggy (according to a skimming of reviews anyway). Carrying a separate device seems cumbersome. Ease-of-use is a concern because in a situation where I'm likely to be intimidated and nervous, I don't really want to fumble around with a bunch of menus and buttons.

I guess the ideal is something that is part of a smartphone, is quick to access, is reliable, and sends the video somewhere in case the smartphone is confiscated and/or destroyed.

Any suggestions, or anyone care to share their experiences with different solutions?

Thanks, gutshot. Qik seems to have a lot of bad reviews but I'll give it a try.

The problem with QIK is that the iPhone version sucks. It freezes, stops, and just generally doesn't work.

There is a Much more stable video streamer for iPhones called U-Stream Broadcaster. It is free. Get it...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

I attempted to get Qik on an Android and got something about it not being available on my carrier.

Just installed UStream, did a test video and upload, works perfectly.

Thanks for the info guys!