• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ccw

Hareuhal

I was just curious, how many of you have your CCW?

I applied for mine and am very happy to say that it arrived in the mail today. Took just over a week (went to Portage County). I don't plan on concealing very often (if ever), but I got sick of dealing with issues of carrying in a vehicle without it. Still definitely going to OC, one my body type doesn't really allow me to conceal my weapon very well, especially because I got a compact instead of a sub...And two because I want to be able to access it quicker if ever there is a need - not fumble around with my shirt or what not.

So I was just curious how many OCers have their CCW as well? I'd assume the majority got it for the vehicle issues as well.

Hareuhal

Should have mine Friday. You pretty much have to because of the car thing.

Yeah, I pretty much stopped OCing on short trips because it was too much of a hassle to unload, get out, reload, etc, just to come back 20 minutes later.

Brian D.

Not to be a nitpicker with you Hareuhal but many of us prefer the term Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or even Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun (OLTCACH) over 'Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW)' as for years the latter was how the police described ILLEGALLY carrying a gun. Some of them still use the term to describe legal carry now too and it bugs me some.

I got my CHL about one month after they became available, one of the reasons definitely being the whole transportaion thing.

Superlite27

Brian D. , not to be a "buttinski" and derail the thread. (It's o.t.) but we here in Missouri have CCW licences because it legalizes the concealment of weapons other than a handgun. We don't limit our citizens to only concealing a handgun. We figure that if you are trusted to carry a handgun, you can be trusted to carry anything that could be considered a weapon, not just a handgun. Hence: CCW

Not that I feel a samurai sword makes a better defensive weapon, but I don't think your concealed handgun license covers it should you choose (for whatever hairbrained reason) to carry one. My CCW does.

...we now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Hareuhal

Not to be a nitpicker with you Hareuhal but many of us prefer the term Concealed Handgun License (CHL) or even Ohio License To Carry A Concealed Handgun (OLTCACH) over 'Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW)' as for years the latter was how the police described ILLEGALLY carrying a gun. Some of them still use the term to describe legal carry now too and it bugs me some.

I got my CHL about one month after they became available, one of the reasons definitely being the whole transportaion thing.

I've been lurking here for a while and I've noticed mostly CC / CCW. However, regardless I will see call it CCW for multiple reasons...The first of which being that's what it is. If when I walked up to the CCW office, there were signs that said "CHL Office", I would call it that...but I see CHL far more rarely than CCW. In any case, it's preference. Some people don't like the term "weapon", (as we discussed in another thread), but I will always call it my weapon. Especially since "CHL" essentially translates to..."CCW"...Handgun = Weapon.

Anyways, I've been VERY happy since getting my permit. Now I just need to find a good holster to fit my SR9C while I drive! Thinking of shoulder holsters....if anyone knows any good ones! Left-hand draw (damn lefties), though.

jackson

Shoulder holster for car use

Thinking of shoulder holsters....if anyone knows any good ones! Left-hand draw (damn lefties), though.

I have a Blackhawk Serpa with shoulder platform that I like. It comes in left and right hand versions. I also have a strap I purchased from NRA that mounts under the steering column. The strap attaches to whatever holster you want to use.

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

In Ohio, a CHL does NOT allow you to conceal weapons OTHER than a handgun. No shotguns down the pants leg or rifles under your trenchcoat.

Not knives, tasers, clubs or pointy sticks.

P-ss off a cop, or forget to mention it, and that 2" folding knife in your pocket just became a Carrying a Concealed Weapon charge.

Calling Ohio's license a CHL is a way to help remind holders of this problem.

Concealed HANDGUN, not concealed WEAPON.

Carry on.