• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are laser stickers required?

jimpen

I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I'd rather ask and look stupid than be screwed because they can nail me for a stupid violation.

My OC weapon is Kimber 1911 with a Crimson Trace laser. My eventual CCW is going to be a Kel-Tec P-11. I just mounted an ArmaLaser Kel-Tec P11 & P40 Laser System.

The ArmaLaser had a small sticker similar to this that says "this is a laser, don't look at it."

As a private citizen, is there any requirement for me to put a sticker on my firearm(s) that it has a laser designator? Can the police target me for it? Do they need a sticker? Is it an OSHA requirement?

WalkingWolf

You need to look at specific Ohio laws, but lasers are used for many uses and people carry them concealed. I do believe it would be considered an assault to shine a laser in someone's eyes. Laser pointers are used for business and schools as pointers, they are common in construction for many tasks. I myself have a laser level as well as a .22 rifle with one that I use for varmints of the night.

Super Trucker

If you bought that laser and blinded yourself with it, you could sue the maker because they didn't warn you about doing stupid stuff.
They supply the stickers to cover their ass.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Laser stickers are like mattress tags. They have to be affixed when sold but you can rip them off as soon as you purchase the item.

ickthus

Laser stickers are like mattress tags. They have to be affixed when sold but you can rip them off as soon as you purchase the item.

The first thing i do is rip the stickers off my pillows and mattress and laugh at "The Man" cus that's how i Roll.
ourbadges.jpg

j4l

The first thing i do is rip the stickers off my pillows and mattress and laugh at "The Man" cus that's how i Roll.
ourbadges.jpg

Amusing, semi-related side story to this concept.
Some years back, I was working an investigative assignment in the Detriot area for several months. Colleagues and myself used to frequent a particular diner each night for our "supper". We were all plain-clothes, but, vests/tactical boots, and high-n-tight hair-cuts and radios often left folks wondering who/what we were.
Given the strange tendancy for Detriot, and MI folks in general, to be hyper-sensitive to possible whackaloon conspiracy theories (the water, I guess? or maybe the weather, or the fact that Incest is legal there, who knows?) , it wasnt but a few days before our usual waitress gave in to her curiousity, and asked who/what we were.

Not being at liberty to say, we all sort of looked at each other as to how to respond. Seeing that none of my folks were willing to speak up, and being a sarcastic S.O.B. at the best of times, I do so, on our behalf.

I told the poor gal we were Mattress-Tag Inspectors with the U.S. Dept. of the Interior.
This, of course , resulted in the expected response (as well as the univeral attempts by my fellow team members to NOT spray their coffee through thier noses in laughter).

This poor, gullable thing was shocked. And asked why? how? what?
I said "you DO know that tag on your Mattresses, right?-the one that says "DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW"?
I told her that we get tips on folks, usually from prostitutes, regarding possibly removed tags at certain residences, and then- in the dark of night, we raid the houses, and conduct a search to make sure that all the Tags are in place...

Again she asked "why? what does it matter?".. now, I had to come up with something for this...hmmm.

Well, I told her, the Canadian border is just across the river, right? Well, Canada doesnt have quiet the same standards for mattress-making as we do. They may not be as safe to sleep on. So, what about the Canandians who smuggle -in Canadian-made mattresses to sell cheaply here? Cant have THAT, now, can we?

Dreamer

Not being at liberty to say, we all sort of looked at each other as to how to respond. Seeing that none of my folks were willing to speak up, and being a sarcastic S.O.B. at the best of times, I do so, on our behalf.

Actually, it is my understanding tha tan LEO who is on-duty is REQUIRED to identify himself if that info is requested by a citizen.

Had a citizen told YOU guys that they "were not at liberty to say" who they were or were they lived or worked while you were conducting your "investigation", you would have probably threatened them with arrest, or at least a citation for "contempt of cop"...

You are ALWAYS at liberty to say who you are and where you work if you are on on-duty LEO--in fact you are REQUIRED to identify yourself, unless you are doing some sort fo super-secret undercover work. Strutting around in tactical boots and vests and acting all macho to the point where all the locals in a diner started to develop "conspiracy theories" about you doesn't sound too "under cover", whether you are wearing uniforms and badges or blue jeans and driving Toyotas.

"Not at liberty to say" is just cop-code for "we're here to take a huge steaming dump on your rights, and we're not going to identify ourselves even if you ask"...

j4l

Actually, it is my understanding tha tan LEO who is on-duty is REQUIRED to identify himself if that info is requested by a citizen.

Had a citizen told YOU guys that they "were not at liberty to say" who they were or were they lived or worked while you were conducting your "investigation", you would have probably threatened them with arrest, or at least a citation for "contempt of cop"...

You are ALWAYS at liberty to say who you are and where you work if you are on on-duty LEO--in fact you are REQUIRED to identify yourself, unless you are doing some sort fo super-secret undercover work. Strutting around in tactical boots and vests and acting all macho to the point where all the locals in a diner started to develop "conspiracy theories" about you doesn't sound too "under cover", whether you are wearing uniforms and badges or blue jeans and driving Toyotas.

"Not at liberty to say" is just cop-code for "we're here to take a huge steaming dump on your rights, and we're not going to identify ourselves even if you ask"...

Wasnt/ am not, an LEO of any kind. My activity was for another entity.
Investigations into certain activities/functions are not the exlusive domain of LE. ;)
Activities did, on occasion ,put us into contact with violent folks, and the tactical gear was issued/required.
Never said anything was "undercover" just that it was plain clothes, but with some tactical gear. Try to read what is actually WRITTEN, as opposed to what YOU choose to interpret.

And, discretion is also not the exlusive domain of "classified" or "super-secret (whatever the hell that is) " activities.
Sometimes, folks operate under non-disclosure aggreements, gag-orders, or, just plain old privacy.
And, you actually wonder why we normal types roll our eyes at you tin-foil types?

Now,..where DID i park my Black Helicopter....?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Ohh for Christ's sake, it is not against the law to have a little fun, unless somebody get's hurt. In fact the SCOTUS has said that LEO's can lie in the performance of their duties. There may have been good reason to not tell who they were. Can you cite a law that a LEO has to identify themselves in a non arrest situation?

j4l

Ohh for Christ's sake, it is not against the law to have a little fun, unless somebody get's hurt. In fact the SCOTUS has said that LEO's can lie in the performance of their duties. There may have been good reason to not tell who they were. Can you cite a law that a LEO has to identify themselves in a non arrest situation?

^true, that.
Even if we had been LEOs, it would have been
1) none of their damned bizness.
2) none of ther damned bizness.
and -my personal fav.

3) nunya damned bidnezz

Last edited: