• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Just like a sex offender"

amlevin

Don't Parole Officers already do this, are at least, supposed to? Aren't these people already "registered" by virtue of their conviction?

Once off parole and other conditions satisfied, unlike Sex Offenders, these people can have their gun rights restored.

This sounds like something a Police Union might come up with in order to justify more officers.

hermannr

How about registering cop offenders like Thompson and Birk.

Oh yes, did you know Thompson was CONVICTED over a year ago and still has not spent one day in prison?

Last edited:

amzbrady

Not all sex offenders are still in the same place they registered and have been lost track of. If they cant keep track of sex offenders how are they going to be able to keep track of gun offenders on top of that?

Difdi

Oh my lord.

If they could come up with a sex offender registry that made sense, then they might have a case for other types of registries. But as long as someone can end up on a sex offender registry for being the VICTIM of a peeping tom, I don't have a lot of faith in the registry.

Lammo

How about registering cop offenders like Thompson and Birk.

Oh yes, did you know Thompson was CONVICTED over a year ago and still has not spent one day in prison?

Sorry, but Thompson was convicted in November of 2011. it won't be a year until November of 2012. His sentencing has been delayed several times due to a number of issues, not the least of which being that it appears the prosecutors (in this case the Feds) withheld information from the defense. Can anyone say Ted Stevens? Link: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/mar/20/karl-thompson-seeks-new-trial-in-otto-zehm-case/

Full disclosure: The expert witness in the story linked above is a friend of mine from college. Additionally, several years ago I had Officer Thompson as the arresting officer in one of my trials.

sudden valley gunner

If my first post in this thread is inappropriate than this whole thread title is inappropriate. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the registry . My apologies if it was offensive to anyone.

Last edited: