Thread: Quick question

Quick question

Ok, I've really only Oc'd a few times, I really only joined this forum for the local pro-gun aspect. Anyways, I'm starting to try to get into shape, daily walks and runs and OCing. What constitutes OC? As long as the butt of the gun is visible?

Just wanting to make sure.

Thanks a lot.

Where are you? Some states have specific criteria.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

I seem to recall reading, and I can't remember where exactly, that it is when the gun is visible from three directions, and that a reasonable person would determine that it was in fact a handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Where are you? Some states have specific criteria.

stay safe.
    NM

The easiest way to find out what constitutes OC is to find out what doesn't pass for CC. In Colorado CC means that a handgun is worn in such a manner as to not be easily discernible to the casual observer. Therefore, a butt of a firearm in plain sight would constitute OC. Hope this kinda helps.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Excellent question mserr . . I guess I never thought about OC in any way other than strapping on the old OC belt holster and letting it all hang out. To me I would think OC is when someone could say "LOOK, HE/SHE HAS A GUN !!!!" and of course that is certainly NOT the effect you would be seeking. I, like AH.74, recall reading something like he has stated, that it is OC when visible from 3 directions or discernable/identifiable from 3 directions. Some time ago I was talking to a New Mexico LEO friend, and we were discussing OC, he used the term "observable" and did not specify multiple directions. There HAS to be some sort of language in some legal doc that does discuss this, maybe someone who knows where to find this will speak up.

CD

There is or I should say "was", this past winter I was searching New Mexico's gun laws and a 1/2 page info came up on the monitor. It described who could own, what you could buy, and what open carry is. I can no longer find it .

Open Carry is...

...unconcealed carry:

29-19-2. Definitions.
    As used in the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978]:
    D. “concealed handgun” means a loaded handgun that is not visible to the ordinary
    observations of a reasonable person;

So, an unconcealed (open carry) handgun would be " visible to the ordinary observations of a reasonable person".