• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick question

mserr

Ok, I've really only Oc'd a few times, I really only joined this forum for the local pro-gun aspect. Anyways, I'm starting to try to get into shape, daily walks and runs and OCing. What constitutes OC? As long as the butt of the gun is visible?

Just wanting to make sure.

Thanks a lot.

AH.74

I seem to recall reading, and I can't remember where exactly, that it is when the gun is visible from three directions, and that a reasonable person would determine that it was in fact a handgun.

Beau

The easiest way to find out what constitutes OC is to find out what doesn't pass for CC. In Colorado CC means that a handgun is worn in such a manner as to not be easily discernible to the casual observer. Therefore, a butt of a firearm in plain sight would constitute OC. Hope this kinda helps.

CDinNM

Excellent question mserr . . I guess I never thought about OC in any way other than strapping on the old OC belt holster and letting it all hang out. To me I would think OC is when someone could say "LOOK, HE/SHE HAS A GUN !!!!" and of course that is certainly NOT the effect you would be seeking. I, like AH.74, recall reading something like he has stated, that it is OC when visible from 3 directions or discernable/identifiable from 3 directions. Some time ago I was talking to a New Mexico LEO friend, and we were discussing OC, he used the term "observable" and did not specify multiple directions. There HAS to be some sort of language in some legal doc that does discuss this, maybe someone who knows where to find this will speak up.

CD

elebuttfish

There is or I should say "was", this past winter I was searching New Mexico's gun laws and a 1/2 page info came up on the monitor. It described who could own, what you could buy, and what open carry is. I can no longer find it .

NMBill

Open Carry is...

...unconcealed carry:

29-19-2. Definitions.
As used in the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978]:
D. “concealed handgun” means a loaded handgun that is not visible to the ordinary
observations of a reasonable person;

So, an unconcealed (open carry) handgun would be " visible to the ordinary observations of a reasonable person".