• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Private Lodging/Campgrounds

ZeroC

I live in Ohio but I travel to KY from time to time. I believe in Ohio a hotel or other lodging can't restrict your right to carry your firearm does anyone know if that is the same in KY? Just want to know so I don't end up making lodging arrangements only to be removed from the premises. And does open/concealed matter?

langzaiguy

Most hotels in KY are privately owned and can set their own weapons policies. There is no weight of law behind such postings. KY recognizes OH licensing so feel free to OC/CC. Just be aware that you may be legally barred from carrying a loaded weapon in some hotel bars.

kywildcat581

KRS 527.020(8) states in part that:
"A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040."

There are no Kentucky Statutes that address the transport of deadly weapons that are too large to store in an enclosed container, compartment, or storage space of a vehicle.

So, basically any factory installed storage compartment is not considered concealed, but if you have your CCW license in ohio, feel free to place it whereever you wish. If you aren't licensed to carry concealed then it must be in a storage compartment or in plain view at all times in a motor vehicle. Loaded or unloaded doesn't matter.

Kentucky is an open carry state. So when you get to Kentucky, you can place it in your glove compartment, when you step out of the vehicle you can strap it to your hip and walk down the street. Concealment requires a permit, open carry does not. Now there will be the arguement I am sure of Open Carry in teh vehicle, although legal here, (meaning carrying holstered in vehicle), can cause a bit of a hassle to a non informed LEO.

Prior to my CCDW I just placed the gun in the glove compartment until I exited the car, then holstered for my eating/shopping exeriences.

You will want to look into the laws on where to NOT carry openly legally, and I believe the camp grounds run by the corps of engineers are not firearm friendly, but I am not a lawyer at all, and not too familiar with that area of the law, you would want more information from a more reliable source.

If a private motel/Hotel/Campground were to ask you to leave... then you must or face a criminal trespass charge.

Private business no guns signs do not hold legal ground here other than that.

Places that have a "no concealed weapons" sign... forces the option of carrying openly.

I think that pretty much sums it up for you? And I don't believe I made any false statements on this post, if so please advise so we do not get the OP a bad idea.

There are a lot of great forums and information on this site,thankfully Kentucky is a gold star state and we have VERY relaxed gun laws.

One mote side note, you didnt say if you had a license to carry,if not, your only option is to Open Carry in plain view..

Last edited:

ZeroC

I will have my CHL, probably, on Friday. Though I plan to open carry for the most part but since Ohio has the odd law that you can't carry a loaded firearm in a car without a CHL, and loaded includes having bullet in a magazine even when the mag isn't even in or with the gun, i haven't been carrying since it's such a hassle.

So in KY it sounds like if I lock it up in my car i should be good to go. Where I go is in the middle of no where, i don't expect much of a problem from the owners for carrying and since I'll be licensed if they want me to cover it I can, if they want me to lock it in my car I can, no biggie.

langzaiguy

Just to clarify, you can put it anywhere in your car with a CCDW/CHL. If you do not have it yet, you may store it, loaded, in a factory installed compartment.

hotrod

I would make sure the property isnt ran by Corps of Engineers for certain, that can bring a whole new ballgame to the plate.. just my .02

I will ask the same question as I asked on another thread, who is going to charge you? The Corps has no law enforcement ability. Unless you are committing an act that would also violate a state law, the state has no jurisdiction and I'm pretty sure the FBI isn't coming. My question is still, who the enforcer is? Again, unless you violation is particularly heinous, I think you would not be bothered by carrying across property owned by the Corps. If you tried to enter a dam site etc. then you would have a problem.

ZeroC

the place I've been going is indeed private property and not that i want to argue about the legality of being able to have my firearm with me with owners/employees and not that i won't comply with the owner's wishes but it's good where the law is. Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I will ask the same question as I asked on another thread, who is going to charge you? The Corps has no law enforcement ability. Unless you are committing an act that would also violate a state law, the state has no jurisdiction and I'm pretty sure the FBI isn't coming. My question is still, who the enforcer is? Again, unless you violation is particularly heinous, I think you would not be bothered by carrying across property owned by the Corps. If you tried to enter a dam site etc. then you would have a problem.

Actually, the FBI will be coming - unless your action is deemed to be other than a mere violation of US Law. You could be looking at guns trained on you by US Marshals, USCG (navitagble waters), or any of several other folks who were folded into DHS. I'm not willing to go look up every single one, but I'm willing to bet that there is a Memorandum of Understanding regarding mutual support that allows state LEA to hold you for the FBI/whomever.

I think the issue you are trying to address regarding the level of heniousness of your infraction is whether or not anybody would notice you.

But the bottom line is that folks at OCDO know that carry is prohibited on CoE lands, so they do not violate the law by carrying there. Yes, that sometimes means great contortions to stay on state lands (where carry is not prohibited) that adjoin CoE lands.

stay safe.

kywildcat581

Actually, the FBI will be coming - unless your action is deemed to be other than a mere violation of US Law. You could be looking at guns trained on you by US Marshals, USCG (navitagble waters), or any of several other folks who were folded into DHS. I'm not willing to go look up every single one, but I'm willing to bet that there is a Memorandum of Understanding regarding mutual support that allows state LEA to hold you for the FBI/whomever.

I think the issue you are trying to address regarding the level of heniousness of your infraction is whether or not anybody would notice you.

But the bottom line is that folks at OCDO know that carry is prohibited on CoE lands, so they do not violate the law by carrying there. Yes, that sometimes means great contortions to stay on state lands (where carry is not prohibited) that adjoin CoE lands.

stay safe.

thanks skid, my point was exactly that the OP is asking about legality of carry, and I personally would not take the chance of violating a law carrying regardless of "who the enforcer is", I appreciate my freedom and I dont want to run into a harsh LEO with a grudge against citizens being armed while I am doing an illegal act. All it would take is 1 single "man with a gun" phone call then you are rolling your dice on who responds and what mood they are in. I personally don't take a gamble on situations like that.

OP - if it is indeed private property, then you would be legal to carry unless asked to leave the grounds from the owner of the property, if you did not comply it would be a criminal tresspass. Welcome to Kentucky!

Last edited:

boomer92266

my wife wanted to camp at barren river state park in barren and allen counties, i noticed no firearms signs at all campgrounds and at several places in the park. i called park office and was told no firearms are allowed in the park, i was told the c.o.e. control the park and no firearms are allowed. the lady i spoke with was nice but said violaters would be procecuted according to the law. i won't be camping some where i can't carry to protect myself and my family, thanks.

neuroblades

In all instances that I've ever encountered pertaining to the ACoE issue, they will have signs visible in the area's they control.

For instance, Paintcville Lake is a NO-GO area as they have signs up before you really even get into the lake area! On the other hand, Dewey is only off limits if you start down into the spillway area. Surprisingly, the dam is not a signed area! As the rest of Dewy Lake, that's a Kentucky State Park and carry in State Parks is legal, unless ACoE has their signs posted.

My understanding is that IF you cross through a ACoE area you're OK as long as your weapon remains inside your vehicle and is not removed. Could someone confirm if this is true.

I do know that there's been a fight going on over this very issue and they've been working on getting the ACoE rule abolished and to have them come into line with the State Parks and National Parks law.