Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Friends dinner

  1. #1
    Regular Member The Big Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Waco, TX
    Posts
    1,950

    Friends dinner

    I could not find the thread where this was discussed, but did anyone attend the Friends of the NRA Dinner? If so, how did it go and what kind of a crowd did they have?


    TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Because of the location, I followed through with my decision and did not donate nor attend this year. I, too, am curious how it went.

    I hear it was organized by a certain gunshop owner in town. And I just today learned that the same gun shop's practices were a big reason why one of the major shooting clubs has staff manning the gate now instead of just a padlock where the members could just go anytime without interference. Interesting.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  3. #3
    Guest
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ,
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Because of the location, I followed through with my decision and did not donate nor attend this year. I, too, am curious how it went.

    I hear it was organized by a certain gunshop owner in town. And I just today learned that the same gun shop's practices were a big reason why one of the major shooting clubs has staff manning the gate now instead of just a padlock where the members could just go anytime without interference. Interesting.
    Do tell.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487
    Really? Which shop? I am a life member at Desert Sportsman, and I was wondering why we suddenly had a security gate instead of a padlock.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763
    I think the NRA rep told emit was ccp or are they cci? The small shop on rainbow and Sahara I think.

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    CCS Guns. I do not know if it is the same management, but apparently they were giving out the combination to Desert Sportsman's to their customers! This information comes from former members of the Board of Directors at DSRPC. If this is libel, I will retract it immediately.

    I've been shooting at DSRPC since the early 1990s. The politics out there is the only reason I never joined. I shoot there as a guest 2-3 times a month, though! I'm where I probably need to join just to have a good spot on that side of town. It's not always convenient to go to the far superior range in Boulder City.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I've been shooting at DSRPC since the early 1990s. The politics out there is the only reason I never joined.
    I hear that. I haven't been very involved, but I recently went to a few meetings. What a political mess. Now I feel guilty for not being more involved.

    I just discovered that they now close at dusk. Bummer. That was half the reason I became a life member. Being able to go to the range after dark in the summer was a big deal for me.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    ...I just discovered that they now close at dusk. Bummer. That was half the reason I became a life member. Being able to go to the range after dark in the summer was a big deal for me...
    That must be new. As of Saturday, the sign at Range 5 still says 10 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    That must be new. As of Saturday, the sign at Range 5 still says 10 PM.
    That must be new or out of date. It was actually a topic of discussion at the meeting about two months ago that they should make it a time instead of 'dusk', because that was arguable. Maybe they followed through on it at the last meeting, I wasn't there. Maybe its a summer thing. Even 10 is too restrictive to be useful. If you want to shoot after sunset in the summer to avoid the heat, you wouldn't be getting started until 8:30 or so.

    Last time I was there, the gate guy came around and gave me a stern talking to about his version of dusk meaning to be leaving before the sun touches the mountains. So at least 10pm is an improvement.

    Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    That must be new or out of date. ...
    You know, I think I am remembering it wrong. The sign says 6AM to DUSK, you are right. I think I was remembering an old sign for some reason. Must be that old fake head injury from when I was a Superbowl Quarterback...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •