• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friends dinner

The Big Guy

I could not find the thread where this was discussed, but did anyone attend the Friends of the NRA Dinner? If so, how did it go and what kind of a crowd did they have?

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Because of the location, I followed through with my decision and did not donate nor attend this year. I, too, am curious how it went.

I hear it was organized by a certain gunshop owner in town. And I just today learned that the same gun shop's practices were a big reason why one of the major shooting clubs has staff manning the gate now instead of just a padlock where the members could just go anytime without interference. Interesting.

OC-moto450r

Because of the location, I followed through with my decision and did not donate nor attend this year. I, too, am curious how it went.

I hear it was organized by a certain gunshop owner in town. And I just today learned that the same gun shop's practices were a big reason why one of the major shooting clubs has staff manning the gate now instead of just a padlock where the members could just go anytime without interference. Interesting.

Do tell.

Merlin

Really? Which shop? I am a life member at Desert Sportsman, and I was wondering why we suddenly had a security gate instead of a padlock.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
CCS Guns. I do not know if it is the same management, but apparently they were giving out the combination to Desert Sportsman's to their customers! This information comes from former members of the Board of Directors at DSRPC. If this is libel, I will retract it immediately.

I've been shooting at DSRPC since the early 1990s. The politics out there is the only reason I never joined. I shoot there as a guest 2-3 times a month, though! I'm where I probably need to join just to have a good spot on that side of town. It's not always convenient to go to the far superior range in Boulder City.

Merlin

I've been shooting at DSRPC since the early 1990s. The politics out there is the only reason I never joined.

I hear that. I haven't been very involved, but I recently went to a few meetings. What a political mess. Now I feel guilty for not being more involved.

I just discovered that they now close at dusk. Bummer. That was half the reason I became a life member. Being able to go to the range after dark in the summer was a big deal for me.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I just discovered that they now close at dusk. Bummer. That was half the reason I became a life member. Being able to go to the range after dark in the summer was a big deal for me...

That must be new. As of Saturday, the sign at Range 5 still says 10 PM.

Merlin

That must be new. As of Saturday, the sign at Range 5 still says 10 PM.

That must be new or out of date. It was actually a topic of discussion at the meeting about two months ago that they should make it a time instead of 'dusk', because that was arguable. Maybe they followed through on it at the last meeting, I wasn't there. Maybe its a summer thing. Even 10 is too restrictive to be useful. If you want to shoot after sunset in the summer to avoid the heat, you wouldn't be getting started until 8:30 or so.

Last time I was there, the gate guy came around and gave me a stern talking to about his version of dusk meaning to be leaving before the sun touches the mountains. So at least 10pm is an improvement.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That must be new or out of date. ...

You know, I think I am remembering it wrong. The sign says 6AM to DUSK, you are right. I think I was remembering an old sign for some reason. Must be that old fake head injury from when I was a Superbowl Quarterback...