Thread: Do you still "pat"?

Do you still "pat"?

I have been open carrying for some time now and still find myself occasionally patting my sidearm to make sure its still there and secure. I try to do it nonchalantly as possible but still feel every eye is on my sidearm as I am "reaching" for it.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Herr Heckler Koch
    No. The feel of the pistol against my hide is a positive attribute of concealed carry for me. I trust my OC SERPA implicitly.

No, but I do have to reposition it to 8 o'clock when getting out of my car. Car seats seem to want to push it back to 9 o'clock which is a little uncomfortable for my bony hips.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

The only time i touch is to reposition.

I don not pat mine. I do how ever put my elbow against it. Usually when I do this is when I'm in a line with people behind me. This way I will know if someone is reaching for it. I also reposition when stepping out of my car.

Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    I don not pat mine. I do how ever put my elbow against it. Usually when I do this is when I'm in a line with people behind me. This way I will know if someone is reaching for it. I also reposition when stepping out of my car.
    That's what I do

Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp.

If it is where it belongs I can feel it with my elbow as my arm hangs normally at my side. Appendix, way-past-the-hip, cross-draw or FBI or more extreme cant carry will make that more difficult. Selection of a properly fitting holster that can be placed on the belt in such a way as not to move about also helps greatly. I use belt loops to keep the holster from shifting - and have paid a tailor to add a loop or two on some of my pants (jeans mostly) to be able to do that.

The only times I "pat" are going out the door and before opening the restroom stall door. I've walked out of the house and had to turn right around, but never once I'm out of the house.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Bellingham, Wa. city of Subdued Excitement
    Quote Originally Posted by SigGuy23 View Post
    I don not pat mine. I do how ever put my elbow against it. Usually when I do this is when I'm in a line with people behind me. This way I will know if someone is reaching for it...........
    I use the "elbow trick" too. Putting a hand on a pistol stock in public could be misconstrued as "brandishing"(I hate that ambiguous word). That, my friends, is not legal in Wa State. It is the only thing that could give a LEO justification to charge me. I think I will stick with the elbow.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Washi...66874943419858

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

There's little doubt, for me, that a full-size .45 auto is where it need to be. So, no, i dont normally "pat" it.
    The elbow trick ^^ sometimes, at most.
    When I get in/out of the car, I do re-position/adjust sometimes, and often double-check to make sure nothing has accidently knocked the ambi safety levers out of place ( a silly concern, though, as this has never happened no matter what/how I've moved).

With the noise my .40SW Hi-point makes when I walk, its size-of-a-brick profile, and dead weigh in my holster, keeps me from having to pat it or anything to make sure it's still there.

I do, however, rest my right arm, and elbow on the grip, lol, the Hi-point makes for an awesome arm rest when your waiting in line, and dont have anything to lean against. :3
    I'm a proud openly gay open carrier~
    Trained SKYWARN spotter, and veteran Storm Chaser.
    =^.^= ~<3~ =^.^=
    Beware the Pink Camo clad gay redneck.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    I have been open carrying for some time now and still find myself occasionally patting my sidearm to make sure its still there and secure. I try to do it nonchalantly as possible but still feel every eye is on my sidearm as I am "reaching" for it.
    Oh, yes. Not "all the time," but at least once while I'm entering a store, and again about half way through a shopping trip.

I also check after I've entered my vehicle and buckled up.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. They both protect the rest, but only if you exercise them both.

Nothing in this post is to be misconstrued as "advice" of any kind. It is merely my opinion.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1 View Post
    No, in fact i always try to carry somthing in my carry hand, like keys, starbucks, etc., just to make sure nobody can accuse me of grasping or pretending to draw or otherwise intimidate people.

As others have mentioned I often rest my elbow when waiting in a line or around other people. Other than that though, when walking and such despite almost forgetting it is there, I won't do a pat.

I only touch it when I re-position/adjust it... Otherwise, as others have noted, it makes a darn good arm rest and is always covered as such when in lines or others are within my work space... also my arm naturally hangs over it for 2 reasons.... protection and knowing it's there..

Most times i can adjust it with my elbow.
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I use the "elbow trick" too. Putting a hand on a pistol stock in public could be misconstrued as "brandishing"(I hate that ambiguous word). That, my friends, is not legal in Wa State. It is the only thing that could give a LEO justification to charge me. I think I will stick with the elbow.
    There is no such thing as "brandishing" in Washington state. The applicable section of the RCW is below:
    RCW 9.41.270

Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (1) above shall be guilty of a gross misdemeanor. If any person is convicted of a violation of subsection (1) of this section, the person shall lose his or her concealed pistol license, if any. The court shall send notice of the revocation to the department of licensing, and the city, town, or county which issued the license.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply to or affect the following:

(a) Any act committed by a person while in his or her place of abode or fixed place of business;

(b) Any person who by virtue of his or her office or public employment is vested by law with a duty to preserve public safety, maintain public order, or to make arrests for offenses, while in the performance of such duty;

(c) Any person acting for the purpose of protecting himself or herself against the use of presently threatened unlawful force by another, or for the purpose of protecting another against the use of such unlawful force by a third person;

(d) Any person making or assisting in making a lawful arrest for the commission of a felony; or

(e) Any person engaged in military activities sponsored by the federal or state governments.

[1994 sp.s. c 7 426; 1969 c 8 1.]
    Notes:

Finding -- Intent -- Severability -- 1994 sp.s. c 7: See notes following RCW 43.70.540. Effective date -- 1994 sp.s. c 7 401-410, 413-416, 418-437, and 439-460: See note following RCW 9.41.010.
    The key phrase is: "in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons."

While I use my elbow, I would argue that merely touching a holstered weapon with your hand to secure or re-position it, absent any other factors, is not enough to meet the three-part requirement for an unlawful carrying or handling charge:
    1. In a manner
    2. Under circumstances
    3. At a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate or warrants alarm for the safety of others

All elements must be present.

ETA: see also State v. Casad
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 06-11-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Total ignorance: an Obama supporter's stock in trade
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the talk about Overthrowing Big Government, Revolution, etc., it's just another one of those nostalgic ideas that individuals have idealized.
    O RLY?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_rebellions
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Books are overrated; and so is history.

I do the pat every time I walk out of my front door; it goes gun, knife, flashlight, keys, wallet, and cell phone. It's my way of doing my EDC checklist.

Used to be a triple tap.. Keys, phone, wallet.

Now its a quintuple tap. Keys, phone, wallet, gun, mag(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Before I moved back to Florida I used my elbow . .. now with that giant bulge in the my waistband I never have that problem . . . its there, my back hurts, yep its still there.