• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairs and school zones??

ps1mhd

I believe I read on here or somewhere you can not carry at the state fair. But what about county fairs?
Ours starts next week.
Also the 1000' school zone bands how do they work? My local IGA, Subway and other stores are within the
1000' so I can not carry there:eek:?

Mike

kywildcat581

Are we talking about sex offenders? drug deals or firearms?

All I am familiar with is on school property being off limits to firearms unless stored in your vehicle.. ie glove compartment.

The state/county fair, not sure how that would fall, is it considered a public event? or privately held? It seems that would be the determining factor, even then it would only be an issue if you were asked to leave I think?

I am interested to see where this question goes.

Honestly, I have a good retention holster, but I am not sure that I would want to get on the "All New Shake your brains out twirly Rattler" ride with a loaded firearm... if there was a laser sticking out of your barrel it would be a light show LOL

ANd I am not sure how comfortable the ride would be

Last edited:

09jisaac

You cannot legally carry within 1000ft of school property on public property (courthouse property, school, roads, sidewalks, etc). You can however legally carry within 1000ft of school property 1. while on private property (your property, relatives, Subway, etc) or 2. with a valid CDWL issued from this state.

aadvark

ps1mhd:

Kentucky has NO such 1000' Foot Rule around Schools.

Kentucky ONLY Prohibits Firearms from being taken Actually into a School Building OR Actually on School Property.

HOWEVER, The United States Federal Government Prohibits Firearms from being taken to or while at, in, on, or within 1000' Feet of any Public Elementary School, Public Middle School, or Public High School, UNLESS; You Meet 1 of 6 Exceptions.

Having a Kentucky-Issued Concealed Carry License is a Federal Defense from such School-Zone Prosecution under Federal Law for such Schools herein Enumerated being Actually found within Kentucky, but NO other State.

Therefore, in Order to be Fully Federally Compliant, I would Recommend Acquiring a Permit from each State that You Possibly can in Order to Benefit as much as Possible under United States Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(q)(2)(B)(ii).

aadvark

Last edited:

hotrod

You cannot legally carry within 1000ft of school property on public property (courthouse property, school, roads, sidewalks, etc). You can however legally carry within 1000ft of school property 1. while on private property (your property, relatives, Subway, etc) or 2. with a valid CDWL issued from this state.

I know of no one nor can I find where anyone has been charged with the 1000 foot federal law. I am also questioning who is going to charge you with the violation. I have seen no federal officers waiting for someone to violate the 1000 foot restriction and cuff and stuff them for the violation. Even in school shootings, the feds have not charged the miscreant with the federal violation. I do not think the US Attorney's Office across the country would have the resources to pursue a conviction of this violation with all the bad guys that are currently in their sights. It would be a waste of money, if you were just walking by a school with your handgun and not bothering anyone.

09jisaac

And Lawrence County has had an ordinance banning the possession of all weapons on courthouse property since 96. I was the 1st one that anyone can recall being thrown out of the courthouse because of this ordinance.

Just because something isn't (commonly) enforced doesn't mean that it can not/will not be enforced. Sometimes all you have to do is piss off the wrong people (or not make the right people happy) to be strung up on a obscure law.

I do agree with you that it probably will never be a primary violation for arrest but it is sometimes used as a secondary offense. If someone is just walking along (not on school property) not doing anything threatening I think they will be safe from prosecution.

hotrod

And Lawrence County has had an ordinance banning the possession of all weapons on courthouse property since 96. I was the 1st one that anyone can recall being thrown out of the courthouse because of this ordinance.

Just because something isn't (commonly) enforced doesn't mean that it can not/will not be enforced. Sometimes all you have to do is piss off the wrong people (or not make the right people happy) to be strung up on a obscure law.

I do agree with you that it probably will never be a primary violation for arrest but it is sometimes used as a secondary offense. If someone is just walking along (not on school property) not doing anything threatening I think they will be safe from prosecution.

Ok, who is going to arrest you for the violation?

Midwest

So what could happen if a person lives near a school and has a loaded handgun in their glove compartment but does not have a CCDW in KY?

lockman

State Researcher
So what could happen if a person lives near a school and has a loaded handgun in their glove compartment but does not have a CCDW in KY?

Nothing is most probable. To change this dynamic please expound on why the gun left the glovebox in the GFSZ and what other concurrent criminal offense the glove box transporter is committing?

ps1mhd

There is no law against carrying at the state fair. There is a Ky. Administrative Regulation prohibiting carrying any weapon in buildings owned or operated by the Ky State Fair Board. County Fairs are a different matter. They can be county sponsored on private property, privately sponsored on private property or county sponsored on county property. You'll need to find out which is the case at the fair you plan on attending.

This is county sponsored at the county park.

neuroblades

I know of no one nor can I find where anyone has been charged with the 1000 foot federal law. I am also questioning who is going to charge you with the violation. I have seen no federal officers waiting for someone to violate the 1000 foot restriction and cuff and stuff them for the violation. Even in school shootings, the feds have not charged the miscreant with the federal violation. I do not think the US Attorney's Office across the country would have the resources to pursue a conviction of this violation with all the bad guys that are currently in their sights. It would be a waste of money, if you were just walking by a school with your handgun and not bothering anyone.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...n-within-1000-feet-of-school-on-Public-Street

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reveport-man-arrested-for-guns-in-school-zone

There have been many cases of the 1000' ban being enforced over the years, though many of them are shakiy at best but they've been written about in many gun publications such as Combat Handguns and the like.

The most logical thing would've been to simply have the ban, if there must be one, to just state that it's banned to have a firearm on the campus proper, not at some range that foolishly overlaps public property and roadways.

hotrod

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...n-within-1000-feet-of-school-on-Public-Street

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...reveport-man-arrested-for-guns-in-school-zone

There have been many cases of the 1000' ban being enforced over the years, though many of them are shakiy at best but they've been written about in many gun publications such as Combat Handguns and the like.

The most logical thing would've been to simply have the ban, if there must be one, to just state that it's banned to have a firearm on the campus proper, not at some range that foolishly overlaps public property and roadways.

​Those were charged under state law. I was looking for charges under federal law.

langzaiguy

Although that may be a case of being charged within 1000 ft of a school, it probably would have never come to be if the dude hadn't shot at a car near a school. I doubt an average, law abiding citizen would ever be charged.

Johnburns15

Random thought. The Scott county fair is held at the Scott county park which also just happens to be directly across from the Scott county high school. Every year the main entrance is almost exactly at the 1000' mark from school property.

langzaiguy

I've been thinking about this. Scott county's baseball field and other facilities are right next to it and even kind of intertwine with the park. I've never seen any no firearms signs--as required by KRS for school facilities. I'm assuming it's completely legal to OC here (aside from any 1000' restrictions).

Johnburns15

I've been thinking about this. Scott county's baseball field and other facilities are right next to it and even kind of intertwine with the park. I've never seen any no firearms signs--as required by KRS for school facilities. I'm assuming it's completely legal to OC here (aside from any 1000' restrictions).

I've open carried at the park, around LEO before with no problems. But I believe the baseball field is owned by the city, but primarily used for the school team (i could be wrong)

CharleyCherokee

Although that may be a case of being charged within 1000 ft of a school, it probably would have never come to be if the dude hadn't shot at a car near a school. I doubt an average, law abiding citizen would ever be charged.

Be that as it may these are the ways that court precedent is set. Just because you doubt they would charge you with it doesn't mean that they won't. They see you oc'ing ask for your ID you deny to give it to them or maybe they just don't like the fact that you're oc'ing and they charge you. Because this was UPHELD as constitutional they can call you in and have you formally charged. I don't believe the SCOTUS has ruled on the "new" version yet, but given the current makeup of it I wouldn't be so sure they'd rule it unconstitutional.