Thread: 1st Time

1st Time

I have been carrying concealed for a couple months now and I have made the decision to start open carrying. Does anyone have any advice?
    I will keep you posted

Know your local and state laws, be as calm and relaxed as possible, and carry a recording device.

Have fun!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    Know your local and state laws, be as calm and relaxed as possible, and carry a recording device.

Have fun!
    What she said.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post

Have fun!
    Don't worry about local laws as Indiana has full state preemption (when it comes to carrying a gun). Also do make sure you know Indiana's carry laws well.
    Last edited by xmanhockey7; 06-10-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Some thoughts...(you probably already know these...)

Carrying it in "plain sight" seems to work just fine.
    Most folks seem to either ignore it or look at it and go back to what they are doing.

Only two that have questioned me is a former Ohio cop now living in Indiana (go figure), and a young lady that had never heard of the second amendment.

Just remember that there are "no carry" zones and respect business owners rights.

And don't get into any type of "exchange" with "a concerned citizen" that "knows more than you"...

Good luck with it. I've had no real problems....
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

Good holster, I use this one.

Get a good recorder as previously mentioned, one that will record for at least 12 hours. I use one similar to this.

A pistol is not a cross that we must bear when we decide to be proactive in our self-defense preparedness.

Good luck and be confident.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Thanks for all the advice. I open carried for the first time today after receiving my holster. I'm using a level 3 Blackhawk holster. Everything went fine. No one said anything or even acted as if they noticed.

And that's how it oughtta be Glad you had a good time!

Best thing to do now is prepare for that first conflict and be ready to bit your toung. Remember they already know your not allowed to have a gun! While there can be an oportunity to educate some folks others could just be trying to get a reaction out of you. Know when to talk and when not to. I have been OCing for about over a month now. So far no one seems to notice or care when they do notice so I havent had any negative or positive interactions. But the best interaction is not having one in the first place. Keep us posted on what happens. I know I will be all over the forum when something happens.

I had my 2nd day of oc yesterday. I was more nervous because I was in more crowded areas closer to the mall. More people seemed to notice today and just not care. I did get a few looks from some younger kids and some women. Overall a good day of oc. I just need to become more comfortable doing it in crowded areas.

Another successful day of open carry. I did a little grocery shopping at Kroger. Not one problem. I don't even know if anyone noticed. I'm getting more comfortable open carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer73 View Post
    I had my 2nd day of oc yesterday. I was more nervous because I was in more crowded areas closer to the mall. More people seemed to notice today and just not care. I did get a few looks from some younger kids and some women. Overall a good day of oc. I just need to become more comfortable doing it in crowded areas.
    And then a CHPer says you should CC in crowded areas! And you say????????

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer73 View Post
    Another successful day of open carry. I did a little grocery shopping at Kroger. Not one problem. I don't even know if anyone noticed. I'm getting more comfortable open carrying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    And then a CHPer says you should CC in crowded areas! And you say????????
    I don't have a problem with it and don't know anyone else that has either. Have a nice day.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I don't have a problem with it and don't know anyone else that has either. Have a nice day.
    Thats not fair you cheated!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    Thats not fair you cheated!
    Now you know the secret of not losing.